Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #81
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Don't forget that they signed Gio González for this contingency and I think CC is due back soon.
I didn't forget about them. C.C. is coming back from an angioplasty and was only projected to be their number 4 or 5 starter at best before the procedure. Gonzalez is coming off a 10-11 season and is little more than a back of the rotation starter at this point in his career (on a decent staff).

Severino is their ace. Let me ask you, Bru: Are you satisfied with the Yanks replacing a #1 with a couple of #5's when the opportunity is there to acquire a #2 (and still possibly a #1)?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #82
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I hear you. Why am I concerned about how the Yankees spend their money?

[Except, seriously, the aspect of tying up long-term salary room on free agents who are on the downhill of their careers.]

TBH, I myself forgot about Keuchel and was subsequently a bit amazed that he is still a free agent. He must have been asking for the moon and/or a couple of decades-worth of contract up until now.

Here's Rotowire's assessment of his situation:
Quote:
Still pursuing long-term deal

April 8, 2019
Keuchel continues to seek a multi-year contract in free agency or a prorated one-year deal that exceeds his $17.9 million qualifying offer, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reports.

ANALYSIS
Even with a Cy Young award on his resume in addition to three seasons with sub-3.00 ERAs, Keuchel could struggle to receive what he's seeking on the open market after his strikeout and groundball rates both took notable steps back in his age-30 campaign. Moreover, Keuchel's outlook for 2019 is further muddled by the fact that he didn't have a proper spring training. While the southpaw continues to throw 95-pitch simulated games every five days as he prepares for an eventual starting role, any team that signs him would surely want to have Keuchel pitch a rehab game or two in the minors before inserting him into its rotation. With that in mind, it's probably unwise to expect Keuchel to debut at any point in April, even if his negotiations with teams gain some steam within the next few days.
He seems to be a durable workhorse, though. 200+ innings again last year and led the league in batters faced, 874 (also hits allowed, 211).

If Rosenthal is right about a one-year prorated deal for $18MM+ being acceptable, it might be worth a shot. No 10-year, $300MM nonsense, however.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #83
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
I hear you. Why am I concerned about how the Yankees spend their money?

[Except, seriously, the aspect of tying up long-term salary room on free agents who are on the downhill of their careers.]

TBH, I myself forgot about Keuchel and was subsequently a bit amazed that he is still a free agent. He must have been asking for the moon and/or a couple of decades-worth of contract up until now.

Here's Rotowire's assessment of his situation:

He seems to be a durable workhorse, though. 200+ innings again last year and led the league in batters faced, 874 (also hits allowed, 211).

If Rosenthal is right about a one-year prorated deal for $18MM+ being acceptable, it might be worth a shot. No 10-year, $300MM nonsense, however.
Before I address your comments, the beautiful Meredith Marakovits has just reported that Sevy will be out for an additional SIX WEEKS with an injury unrelated to his inflamed rotator cuff. Best case scenario, we won't see him until some time just before the All-Star break. However, I'm starting to get the feeling (just a gut thing) that we won't see him until after the Break, if at all this season.

Yeah, worrying about the Yanks' financial footing is sort of like fretting over Jeff Bezos' divorce settlement. The Yanks practically print their own money. That said, I absolutely agree with you about not wanting to see the Yanks burdened with any A-Rod / Flopsbury-like contractual albatrosses.

Like you, I'm genuinely surprised that Keuchel is still available for all the reasons you listed, plus one more...he's a Yankee killer (Career 1.09 ERA against the Yanks including the playoffs). Therefore, if what Rosenthal reported is true, there's no reason on God's green earth not to sign him.

The Sox aren't going to stay on the mat forever. When they finally do get up, the Yanks will be in for a herculean fight, even if / when they're able to get their all their disabled players back in full force. IMO they just flat-out need Keuchel now.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-09-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:10 AM   #84
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Dola,

It might be time to start worrying about Chad Green as well. His command and velocity aren't where they were the past two years.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #85
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

"These are the times that try fans' souls."

- Bru

Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #86
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
. . . again, health is the key particularly for Bird. If he so much as stubs his toe this spring training, he is done.
Take out the word "training" and we're there. Sure enough, Bird has stubbed his toe (actually, a "left plantar fascia tear" and when you say "tear," I would think you're talking more than just the 10-day IL).

In my book, that would be it for Greg Bird. Same for Flopsbury, whom the Yankees have transferred to the 60-day IL.

13 players on the injured list already this season and 5 opening day starters out. Goose Gossage thinks today's players are sissies and at times I am inclined to agree with him.

- Bru

Old 04-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #87
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Sabathia is very close to two major milestones: 6 more K's for 3,000 and 3 more W's for 250. Something extra to root for this season.

- Bru

Old 04-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #88
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Wow, Sabathia is very close to two major milestones: 6 more K's for 3,000 and 3 more W's for 250. Something extra to root for this season.
C.C. is definitely HoF timber, and is still very much an impact player. He's really helped stabilize their rotation since his return from the IL and is still the spiritual leader of that staff.

I hate to be the one to always bring up the negative stuff, but with Judge now likely headed for the IL as well, you have start wondering if this is going to be one of those seasons for the Yanks that occasionally befalls sports teams where they're seemingly playing under a dark cloud the whole season.

What next? Or should I ask, who next? Thank Jesus Alou the Sox have spit the proverbial bit as well out of the starting gate this season. If they had gotten off to the same kind of start that they had last year, the storm clouds would really be gathering around the Yankees' season now.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-21-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #89
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Wow, this is where I start saying dumb things like "This is getting dumb." As usual, I get my news from these forums so thanks for the news about Judge (I missed yesterday's game).

This summary shows a bunch of guys returning in May (if they don't hang around Ellsbury, that is). If the Yankees can hang in there, around .500 until then, and of course they stop getting the sniffles, we may see a resurgence at that time.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 04-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #90
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Wow, this is where I start saying dumb things like "This is getting dumb." As usual, I get my news from these forums so thanks for the news about Judge (I missed yesterday's game).

This summary shows a bunch of guys returning in May (if they don't hang around Ellsbury, that is). If the Yankees can hang in there, around .500 until then, and of course they stop getting the sniffles, we may see a resurgence at that time.
No problem. I only wish it was good news about Judge I delivered.

That list is nothing short of astonishing. Their roster has been absolutely eviscerated by injuries. It's amazing they're even at the .500 mark with all that talent sidelined.

Well, at least we're getting our first really good look at the considerable talents of Clint Frazier. It'll be interesting to see where Boone finds AB's for this kid if / when they're able to get Hicks, Stanton and Judge back at the same time healthy and ready to play. I'm really looking forward to that day....if it ever comes, that is.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #91
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Who says OOTP isn't realistic on injuries?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #92
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Interesting article that shows the Yankees currently have 50% more WAR on the DL now than any other team since record keeping started in 2002.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/4...w-york-yankees
Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #93
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (I think ) . . . No, seriously, thanks for an interesting article. I like this writer just for this: "When a guy as big as Judge pulls a muscle, it has to register on the Richter scale!"

It has taken me half a lifetime to finally accept WAR (the trick is, as long as whatever gizmo they use to calculate it is consistent, and you stick to one source of WAR at a time, and you don't try to peak behind the scenes, it can be useful). So, yes, this knocks my socks off and is a tribute to how deep this team can be if they can stay off the trainer's table:

Name:  Image0134.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  110.2 KB

That's quite a difference between #1 and #2. One thing troubles me about this, however. All of these teams are from the last four years. Is that because their definition and calculation of WAR does not go back far enough or because players are more injury-prone (and babied) than ever?

- Bru

Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #94
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Dola,

It might be time to start worrying about Chad Green as well. His command and velocity aren't where they were the past two years.
Good dola.

I was looking at the box score from yesterday's game and I noticed that the Yanks had a 7-1 lead going into the bottom of the 8th when they, that is, someone gave up 4 runs, letting the Angels back into the game. Gee, it was Chad Green, tagged for four earned runs in one-third of an inning. His ERA is now up to 16.43.

Then I remembered, wasn't Capo talking about a relief pitcher that has come under his critical eye recently? I checked here and, sure enough, Chad Green. Pegged.

- Bru

Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #95
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Dola of my own.

I just saw that Green has been demoted. Probably best for him; reading about what happened last night and his comments after the game, he has that "deer in headlights" aura about him.

In contrast, this Domingo German is looking good, real good. Wow, if he could emerge and stay healthy . . .

Greg Bird has to be visualizing his MLB starter chances flying away with the continued power performance from Luke Voit. I have no desire to see Bird on the field except as a pinch hitter, if he doesn't hurt himself, the darling.

Hey, 13-10 with 13 guys on the IL this season. Hanging in there . . .

- Bru

Old 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #96
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Good dola.

I was looking at the box score from yesterday's game and I noticed that the Yanks had a 7-1 lead going into the bottom of the 8th when they, that is, someone gave up 4 runs, letting the Angels back into the game. Gee, it was Chad Green, tagged for four earned runs in one-third of an inning. His ERA is now up to 16.43.

Then I remembered, wasn't Capo talking about a relief pitcher that has come under his critical eye recently? I checked here and, sure enough, Chad Green. Pegged.
LOL...yeah, me and my critical eye. Truth be told, a 16.43 ERA would be impossible to slip passed a blind man.

In all seriousness, it's an absolute shame about Green. He's one of those guys in the Yankee organization that kind of came out of nowhere. He always had good stuff, but was never really regarded as a top flight pitching prospect. When they finally moved him to the bullpen in 2017 he suddenly became one of the more dominant relievers in MLB, with K/9 ratio among the best in the league. I sincerely hope he's able to bounce back somehow.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-24-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #97
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Dola of my own.

I just saw that Green has been demoted. Probably best for him; reading about what happened last night and his comments after the game, he has that "deer in headlights" aura about him.

In contrast, this Domingo German is looking good, real good. Wow, if he could emerge and stay healthy . . .

Greg Bird has to be visualizing his MLB starter chances flying away with the continued power performance from Luke Voit. I have no desire to see Bird on the field except as a pinch hitter, if he doesn't hurt himself, the darling.

Hey, 13-10 with 13 guys on the IL this season. Hanging in there . . .
I'm glad you mentioned German. As loath as I am to admit it, I thought Michael Kay made an excellent point last night about German. He's 4-1 with 1.75 ERA, ostensibly filling in for Severino. Realistically, Kay asserted, it's doubtful that Sevy could've pitched any better than German has already. So while the loss of Severino was a blow, it's not one the Yanks have really felt the sting from yet because of German's brilliance.

As far as Flightless Bird is concerned, he just may have laid his last egg with the Yanks. With Voit increasingly looking like the real deal, and Mike Ford looking very much in his element as a big leaguer, don't be surprised if Bird has already been bumped off the depth chart entirely as the Yanks LH 1B & DH/PH option off the bench.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #98
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Bye, bye, Birdie. (Look, I don't wish anybody ill-will, but this is the major league. You have to stay healthy and produce when you are given the chance. Else, you are taking a spot away from somebody else.)

- Bru

Old 04-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #99
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This is getting, what, tiresome? Exasperating?

I was going to say that Frazier was the 14th player on the IL but Sanchez came off of it recently.

It's getting to the point where somebody has to take the fall even if it is not fair, just to have an indication that something is done about this. I'm thinking about the trainer and the strength and conditioning staff.

I also have to think that some of these injuries could be preventable.

- Bru

Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #100
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
This is getting, what, tiresome? Exasperating?

I was going to say that Frazier was the 14th player on the IL but Sanchez came off of it recently.

It's getting to the point where somebody has to take the fall even if it is not fair, just to have an indication that something is done about this. I'm thinking about the trainer and the strength and conditioning staff.

I also have to think that some of these injuries could be preventable.
"They aren't pliable enough" -- Tom Brady