Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
RubetzCube
Bat Boy

House Rules

Hey All!

So I was curious if you play with any specific house rules to immerse yourself in the game / keep it realisitic?

I ask because I have been toying with some of the following:

]I only trade if the player has been placed on the block and/or they have been offered to me by that team. (somehow ended with devin dubnyk year 2 due to trade block).

I try my best to resist signing offer sheets unless the compensation I would be giving up is reasonable for the player. I would feel bad if I gave up a 2nd for a player that is elite. But, Kuznetsov can be extremely expensive, and his talent warrants that.

Please let me here yours!

Btw I felt super weird about that Dubnyk trade until I Realized he was dealt for a 3rd anyways. So weirder trades have happened. Plus I gave up: A Goalie prospect 1.5/3.0, 2nd, and 2 3rds. I thought that was fair enough.
RubetzCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

I do play with some personal rules myself as it's always easy or very tempting to make deals that would otherwise never happen or your entire lineup goes from authentic NHL rosters to looking like a unrealistic swiss cheese and a possibly overpowered organization in less than a season.

Here is what I usually challenge myself with:

First Rule: Limit of 1 trade until Deadline Day MAX / Waiver wire pickups are at 2 per season

* A week leading up to or trade deadline day, I reward myself with adding (1) more trade for a total of (2) if I haven't burned my maximum before deadline. I will then allow myself to bring in either 2 Players via trades for playoff contention. If I have exhausted my (1) transaction during the season then I will only make "ONE" transaction for deadline.

- Player(s) acquired must be UFA'S at seasons end
- Player(s) traded must be UFA'S at season end and can only be dealt for picks or prospects ONLY
- Waiver players added to the organization do NOT count against my personal trade cap

Second Rule

Honor all contracts.. period! If I resign players during the season, I keep'em for that duration. If they are signed for more than a year, (two or three+ years) I can't revisit any type of trade involving them until ONE full year as accrued on they're contract.

Third Rule

July 1st UFA allows me to sign anyone I want too. I have no rules here for myself other than looking at long-term consequences if I get greedy and get myself in a mess with logjams in my lineups. This is why RULE 2 is so important to me.

Thats it! Those are some personal rules I set out for myself during the season and i basically work with what i got to some extent. When a player is acquired it add's much more excitement for me as I really double-triple evaluate if player(s) are worth the cost and WILL they fit in ? Cheers!

Last edited by BlackIce; 05-04-2017 at 01:20 PM.
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
eldur00
All Star Reserve

I play GM only so I don't have control over player usage.

I only put players on the TB that are not performing well as opposed to trying to get offers that could be seen as real steals. Not performing well is usually a combination of GR and stats that I look at.

I do not initiate a trade, ever.

Most important of all, since it seems the CPU will only offer me trades for my players on the TB anyway, I accept ALL trade offers UNLESS the player I am offered is more than 5 years older than my player on the block. I may revise this one once I'm contending and not rebuilding.

I sign ALL my rookies to at least an entry level contract before I decide if I want to get rid of them.

Since I'm playing a replay of the Sens since their inception, when comes draft time, I randomly select a scouted player sorted by potential (scouting is too accurate sadly). This is to not give myself an edge over the CPU since...player recognition.

I play with the game engine for development over recalc according to life for some variance, again, because of name recognition.

That's about it.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote