Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
adamosity
Minors (Single A)

roster size question

I'd like to play either a historical or a modern league with a bit of a catch:

I want to make the maximum roster size very, very small--to the point where pitchers have to play as backups as fielders, and if a player can throw 85-90 mph, to use them as a bullpen pitcher.

I've found in my modern games that at least a few players have ratings as pitchers that are pretty good and that a couple of pitchers have good fielding rankings either as outfielders or infielders (I have a relief pitcher with catcher ratings of 17/20--go figure).

Here's my question. If I set the roster size small enough, will the AI play it that way where players can go both ways?

I was thinking of a 16-18 roster size. That way, some players have to play both ways.

Will this work with the current AI?

Thanks!

--adam
adamosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

No.

Two way players now exist in the game as of ver 11 but only one way at a time.

For instance B. Ruth as a pitcher won't/can't play the OF automagically but you can switch him by hand to play that position. Just no long term sims expecting the AI to use him two ways.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Actually the AI will use a fielder as a pitcher in some cases. In the 19th century sims I have seen the 1873 Boston Red Stockings use their CF, he is a two way player, to pitch in sims. However, note there is only one actual pitcher on the team. So I do not think the AI will do this unless all other pitchers are unavailable. I think when I was simming some rare back to back to back games in the schedule, the AI actually put the CF to play about half a game when the SP was tired. Not impossible but you have to have no bullpen for the AI to do it.

I have also seen the AI put pitchers in the field if they are needed. Note, I do have use real life stats for positions on. So it may be because the guy actually played a position that year. That seems to happen when the rotation is full and the pitcher can play a position that is needed.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
adamosity
Minors (Single A)

I'm thinking some more about this:

If I put the pitchers as backups in the depth chart, then they should start some games as fielders?

--adam
adamosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

They should but the problem is getting the timer right. Backups play when starter is tired or every X games. You have to figure out when to put them in the lineup if you want a SP to play a position to make sure he isn't scheduled to play say 1B and SP both on the same day. Perhaps using the week long lineup screen would be easier here rather than depth chart. So you could do something like this.

Monday Babe Ruth LF
Tuesday Babe Ruth LF
Wednesday Babe Ruth SP (leave him out of the lineup when his spot comes up)
Thursday Babe Ruth LF
Friday Babe Ruth LF
Saturday Babe Ruth out of lineup so he can take his turn in the rotation.
Sunday Babe Ruth LF

Also note if you are playing with strong two way players, there are a lot of those in historical sims, and no DH you can leave any position in the lineup blank so the pitcher doesn't have to hit 9th. In the early 1870's I had the 4 spot empty so Al Spalding (SP) could bat clean up. I am not sure what lineup strategy was back then when no one hit HRs so I just lineup them up by best contact.

Tony LaRussa actually did this with the Cardinals sometime this century. He had his pitcher batting 8th. I can't remember the year but that year every series I watched STL play, the one's against the Astros, the pitcher batted 8th and speedster with decent average was in the 9 hole.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote