Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #21
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Around 1878 you are really gonna have to give some thought to your expansion. I deceided to just delete Cin & Providence so i have an even # of expansion teams and it wouldnt leave me with an odd # of expansion teams for 1879.

It will leave me with 2 less teams than real history but i might play a 40 game season and think of it as a troubled time in the league. Maybe when it was struggling to survive.

I really dont like adding a team that didnt exist at all for that year.
BaseballMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks again for the help and the advice.

I think I'll do like you say and plan it out on paper first how it's going to go. Like you I'd rather delete a team than have a team that didn't exist then.

I imagine it'll take a bit of experimentation but at least it's working now and I have a vague idea of what to do. Should be interesting.
corkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I deceided to compromise on adding teams. I dont want to lose teams but at the same time i need an even # of teams for expansion in the next year.
1878-1881 was giving me trouble in that respect. So heres what i deceided to do.
I deceided to keep a team's stats for that year and just change the name to a
team name from the NA that i never used. So its not totally fictional. I will also have to change the ballpark. But at least i will be able to have close to the same # of teams as real baseball history.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Sorry i didnt think of telling you this before but i was thinking of strictly
a NL & AL setup. But if you wanted the American Assoication, Players League,
& Union Association, you could add a league and then delete it when the league is finished. I would save your league file in case you wanted to look up the deleted leagues history unless its possible to still see within the game.

I beleive players go to the top league as free agents. But in order to get the AA teams you will need to copy those AA teams to a blank teams csv file. So you dont import the NL teams again.
Then rename them as AL so you dont confuse them with NL teams and since the game wont take AA when import them. As you add the teams you can rename the league the AA instead of AL & NL.
I cant tell whether a players history will say AA for the years he played in the AA.
Keep in mind you will still need an even # of teams for the AA. You could drop a team from the NL to the AA in years there were an odd # of teams in the NL.
Thats whats great about this game. "You cant always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need."

I forgot to mention that you will need to delete players who did not debut in the AA & make sure you still have enough players for all the AA teams. This is to
keep from having duplicate players. But if you keep 2 separate databases then you should have no problem later.
I cant tell you how many players you will have for AA. Your best bet is to go to baseball reference and check the debuts and calculate if there are enough players to use before you try this.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 01-18-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've been playing around with trying to make the set-up work. Now that I had my original problem solved, the game starts with 8 teams, 4 each in NL and AL.

I tried several things since then that didn't work, like deleting one team and adding another (I wanted the New York Mutuals in my league), but that just created duplicate players. I could manually retire those players but then rosters end up being quite tight to the point I have to turn injuries off completely.

Also, when I reached the second year of play, the game crashed since the team names were different - I only had the mutuals in for 1871 while the file had the same 8 teams for 1871 & 1872 (I think the same teams are there for at least the first 10 seasons, maybe more). I only had stats for the mutuals for 1871. Can I manually add them from year to year so the file works properly and if so, where can I get those stats?

Your post creates a couple more questions now for me. What exactly is the role of the teams.csv file and when does the game access the file? If I start changing teams around, adding/deleting teams, or like you suggest, creating a new file for one year, will team & player stats still be kept properly?

Can I use several different teams files for one season or do the teams all have to come from the same file? For example, can I use the 8 teams the game provides and then import a team from say, the garlon teams.csv file or one I've created myself?

I also finally created my own schedule for 1871 & 1872 to have at least 1 day off between games to allow starting pitchers to rest. The game wanted to put all 30 games in april & may, but I think one pitcher would probably drop dead from exhaustion. I actually added a few games as well to 1871 so each team plays 3/3, for a total of 42 games and 4/4 in 1872 for 56 games.

I'm also finding strange things with my starter - Al Spalding. He started out with a rating of 80/80 (I have my preferences set to rate from 20-80). He had a great season in 1871, pretty good in 1872, but his rating dropped to 50, and now in 1873 he is really sucking (4-16) and his rating is 23. I have my preferences to reset ratings every season based on real stats, but his rating still sucks. It looks like most of the starters across the league are showing huge drops in their ratings as well. Is this normal?

Would be nice to get at least 10 teams in 1872 (though I think a couple of those teams didn't finish the season). I could just switch the names manually, but wanted to see if I could do it through altering files somehow first to use those teams' actual stats.

This post got a bit long, but thanks for your input. I'm sure I'll have some more things crop up as I play. Like I said, I only bought the game last week so still getting used to how it works.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #26
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

are you using a downloaded lahman's database? i see that has providence in 1878, but the one that game with my original download when I bought the game does not.

that is also where i got the mutuals from, not gambo (which i mistook for garlon in my last post).

i could cut & post from there to my original teams.csv file that came with the game to get the teams i want. would this work without crashing the game? seems like it might as long as i get the teams in correct leagues.

are you altering your league structure to have only 1 league with 8 teams? do you alter it back again to 2 with 4 each at the end of the season? i found if i altered the structure to 1 league the game crashed between seasons, but not sure if i can be bothered to alter the structure every year. i was hoping the game would automatically set it back to the 2/4 structure.

The reason I ask is because I want the game to record a single season winner at the end of the year rather than two division winners.

Last edited by corkpilot; 01-19-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm assuming the stats are kept in a different file somewhere? if i delete a team that existed in previous seasons, will i still be able to see their stats, for example, if that team won the league in a certain season?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #28
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpilot View Post
I'm assuming the stats are kept in a different file somewhere? if i delete a team that existed in previous seasons, will i still be able to see their stats, for example, if that team won the league in a certain season?
Im not sure whether deleted team stats are kept. I think the game gets the teams name, ballpark settings, & league from the teams csv.
But just in case i only change a teams name for a year and not any of their stats.

You should be able to input all team names & nicknames in the teams file.
The whole team name & nickname is by the ballpark name on the far right. Just change it to what you like.

I edited the teams file so that no team will have the same nickname unless they moved to another city. That way i dont have Chicago White Stockings for 3 different franchises. For example I made the Chicago Colts for 1871, Chicago White Stockings 1874-1875 & Chicago Cubs 1876-2008. It just depends on how you like it.

For scehdules i always have my season from april-early oct. The all star break is always july 2nd- july6th which is the 93 day- 97 day on the schedule. Allstar game July 4th or 95th day Of course this means only 1 game per week for a pitcher but i like it better than 30 games in 2 months.

As for Spalding, do you have recalculated ratings on. Because if you do that may be why his ratings are going down and in fact you might see his position change to 2b. Because the ratings may be recalculating base on what position he played in say 1875 instead of remembering he was a great pitcher in 1871. So in reality theres probably nothing wrong with Spalding in your game.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #29
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Great. That gives me a few more things to go on.

As for Spalding, I see that he was quite a good hitter in addition to being a great pitcher. His pitching stats are ridiculous through 1876. 75 & 76 his era was under 2 so I'm not sure why his pitching stats would get worse. Seems strange.

Do my scouts & trainers have a big effect on stats or are they totally based on the players real stats?

I do have the recalc for stats on from year to year... should I turn that off? what settings do you suggest I use for determining ratings and peak ratings?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #30
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpilot View Post
Great. That gives me a few more things to go on.

As for Spalding, I see that he was quite a good hitter in addition to being a great pitcher. His pitching stats are ridiculous through 1876. 75 & 76 his era was under 2 so I'm not sure why his pitching stats would get worse. Seems strange.

Do my scouts & trainers have a big effect on stats or are they totally based on the players real stats?

I do have the recalc for stats on from year to year... should I turn that off? what settings do you suggest I use for determining ratings and peak ratings?
Keep recalculate on if you want players to play close to what they did in that season in real life. In other words with it on Babe Ruth should hit 50-60 hr in your simulated 1927 season barring injury. With it off he may only hit 40.
Recalculate gives you closer historical accuracy. Though keep in mind you still need to run test leagues and adjust your settings as you see fit.

I dont use scouts for historical leagues so i cant advise on that.
I use ratings based on whole careers for fielding as.
I have recalculate on.

So what are Spaldings's stats in your replay?

I would advised to write down some settings you see that you dont lie and run some test leagues from 1871-1900 at different settings.

I alwyas have a AL & Nl. Now in some years i may have 4 teams in the NL & 2 in the Al because there were only 6 teams and no AA to use. I could create a team but like i said i only change names. I dont like changing or adding team stats. Just remember to have a an even number of expansion teams.
Otherwise its gonna crash at the draft.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #31
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Having another problem now...

I started using the lahman teams file since it has more historically accurate teams, but kept all the stat files from the original stats folder.

I played 1871 just fine and on the first day of the offseason the game seemed to load the 10 teams for 1872 just fine. However, when I get to the expansion draft the game crashes.

Now, you were saying I need to have an even number of expansion teams. Do you mean the number of NEW teams entering the league needs to be even OR that the total number of teams after expansion needs to be even?

If it's the first maybe that's my problem... I guess I'll have to run the season again to find out.

I'm going from an 1871 set up of:
AL:
NY
PHI
Rock
Troy

NL:
Bos
Chi
Cle
FW

to 1872 of:
AL
NY
Phi
Troy
Was
Bal

NL:
Bos
Cle
Bro
Bro
Mid

So, you can see I'm adding 5 new teams, but still have an even number of total teams.

I guess I'll run the season again and alter the teams file to keep one extra team from 1871. Maybe I'll just alter the team name in the new season. Now that I'm thinking of it, I'll try to keep the stats for say, Washington Olympics, but just change the team name & ID to FW or something.

I guess you've run into this problem before?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #32
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well, I guess I answered my own question. I ran a quick season and just switching the team ID on the teams file seems to have worked.

Not sure if there's another better solution though. I don't like using the same ID just with different names. I'd like to keep the franchises seperate if possible.

Time to put my thinking cap on I guess and find some way to get a bit better continuity between seasons. We'll see.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #33
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Another question for ya...

How do the team stats in the teams file affect game-play? And how does that coordinate with player stats?

For example, if I have a team full of superstars after the inaugural draft but are all on a team that didn't do well historically (as shown in the teams file), will those players stats be brought down to reflect the teams historical showing on the field? or does the game give player stats precedence over team stats?

hope I made that clear.

thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #34
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Just remember you need an even number of teams for the expansion draft or any draft. I dont mess with the team IDs that much.
The best way to do that ive found is to simulate from 1871-1901.
After you made sure theres an even amount of teams for each year.
Then look at the teams in the league history and see what teams have switched and what teams changed nicknames ect. Note the years and check the names in your teams file.
I lie having teams fold to duplicate the chaos of the 19th century and my league evolving. However i dont like having a team with 5 different nicknames.
So i try to keep the same nickname for each team even if it moved. That leaves more nicknames for teams that folded and came back with the same nickname a few years later. So instead of having the New York Mutuals twice, I have the Mutuals and the Gothams. But they are still 2 separate franchises.
This way for example i can have the mutuals play from say 1871-1872 and maybe the gothams from 1878-1881 and finally the giants from 1883-2008
Instead of mutuals from 1871-1872 and a diffrent mutuals franchise again from 1878-1881 and gothams from 1883-1900 eventually turning into giants.
It keeps the chaos a little more organized if that makes sense.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #35
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah, I'll have to do a more longer simulation. Have just been playing with 1871-75 so far.

For example, for 1871 I'm going to drop Rockford Forest Citys so I have 8 teams.

Then for 1872 I'll add Middletown, Atlantics, Balt. LB, and Was Nats. Chicago and Fort Wayne drop out.

For 1873 I'll add the Blue Legs, Phi W.S., and change the Olympics to become the Marylands who then drop out in 74. Troy, Cle F.C., Middletown, and the Nats drop out after 72.

I don't really like just changing a team ID from year to year, but it's the only thing I can think of so far to keep both an even number of total teams AND and even number of new teams AND keep some sort of historical accuracy as well as keeping a bit of the chaos which I like too.

It's a lot of work to figure out before I even do much real simming, but I'm enjoying working it out so far.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #36
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I tried adding 2 teams from 1871 to 1872 and putting both new teams in the NL and changing one team from NL to AL.

The game didn't like this much. Even though I had an even number for the draft, I'm guessing it didn't like that they were both NL. Very odd behavior. It's working now with 1 of each. I've even got it sorted out for 1873.

Think I'm getting the hang of this. A lot of work, but once it's sorted it'll be great.

Is there a way to easily modify a computer generated schedule to put off days between games? I haven't seen one yet, but I'm not looking forward to having to create my own 80 game schedule for 10 or 12 teams with enough off days so the pitchers aren't always pitching on fumes.

Gonna try when I get home to just alter the team ID and not the franchise ID. Might make things easier when trying to keep even # of teams. Can't remember now why that would help me but I'm sure I had a reason at some point. lol