Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
zappa1
All Star Reserve
 
zappa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 927
Thanks: 1,571
Thanked 486x in 255 posts
patch 20.4.40

This latest patch has my 3D animations moving slower. I know I can compensate for this in the settings by moving it up from normal to quick. What I am asking is if this was done deliberately to slow things down a bit or is this a mistake? Thank you.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 8,804
Thanks: 985
Thanked 10,782x in 4,270 posts
Yes, this was intentional. Basically, players were going too fast before, so by slowing them down, hopefully it better balances how fast players move vs how fast the ball is travelling, and makes things appear more natural. It may take a little bit to adjust to it, but I prefer it like now.
__________________
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
7 thanks for this post:
Eugene Church (05-16-2019), Fredrocker (05-14-2019), mars001 (05-15-2019), Mt Fire Fighter (05-15-2019), nayryentuk (05-16-2019), Pirates (05-15-2019), zappa1 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer
 
Bluenoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 11,541
Thanks: 1,198
Thanked 3,599x in 2,179 posts
I had it on Quick before the patch, have moved up to Fast now. Find it much too slow otherwise.
__________________
"I don't think a manager should be judged by whether he wins the pennant, but by whether he gets the most out of the twenty-five men he's been given." Chuck Tanner
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Findest2001
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 960
Thanks: 256
Thanked 203x in 154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
This latest patch has my 3D animations moving slower. I know I can compensate for this in the settings by moving it up from normal to quick. What I am asking is if this was done deliberately to slow things down a bit or is this a mistake? Thank you.
Its interesting you say this. I have noticed the exact opposite. My players move much faster and my fly balls look fake they move so fast.

Last edited by Findest2001; 05-14-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
mars001
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 360
Thanks: 36
Thanked 127x in 47 posts
I'm getting used to the slower player movements in the animations, but one thing I've noticed is that the fielders tend to hold on to the ball longer before throwing.
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
DreamTeams (05-15-2019), zappa1 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Ormondbeachdan
Minors (Triple A)
 
Ormondbeachdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach Fl
Posts: 206
Thanks: 219
Thanked 141x in 60 posts
Yes... Something seems a bit off with the players sometimes holding the ball a lot longer... Outfielders..
__________________
Ormondbeachdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,093
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,483
Thanked 3,816x in 2,161 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I had it on Quick before the patch, have moved up to Fast now. Find it much too slow otherwise.
Yes, I moved up from Normal to Quick for the first time. That's probably only because I had become used to the previous pace and now prefer it (besides, I play out all my games and there's only a finite time left on Earth, you know). No more monkeying with the pace of the game, please! I would not feel comfortable ratcheting up that setting any further with possibly unpredictable and unpleasant side effects.
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,093
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,483
Thanked 3,816x in 2,161 posts
Just to illustrate my concern, visualize a picture of the settings (I cannot attach an image right now due to the status of the forum). My new "normal," Quick, is only two positions away from the max: Fast and Very Fast. Yet, below Normal are Slightly Slow, Slow, Very Slow, and Super Slow! (I can only imagine how slow this is . . .) My point is, if Normal was deemed too slow, then what can possibly be the purpose of four slower settings? I have come around to advocating restoring the "normal" to Normal, as it was before this patch, and letting the player dial his own setting from a more natural range of choices.
__________________

- Bru



Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,093
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,483
Thanked 3,816x in 2,161 posts
There's this note in the changelist: Changed report colors in classic skin (applies to new games, or copy "\data\templates\styles_ootp 20 classic.css" to "\news\html\styles.css" in existing ".lg" saved game folder). To clarify, the file is actually in: \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 20\templates and when you copy this file to: \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 20\saved_games\[your league].lg\news\html you must rename the file to "styles.css" (copying over the old version). At least this is how I got it to work just now.
__________________

- Bru



Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-16-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 8,804
Thanks: 985
Thanked 10,782x in 4,270 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Just to illustrate my concern, visualize a picture of the settings (I cannot attach an image right now due to the status of the forum). My new "normal," Quick, is only two positions away from the max: Fast and Very Fast. Yet, below Normal are Slightly Slow, Slow, Very Slow, and Super Slow! (I can only imagine how slow this is . . .) My point is, if Normal was deemed too slow, then what can possibly be the purpose of four slower settings? I have come around to advocating restoring the "normal" to Normal, as it was before this patch, and letting the player dial his own setting from a more natural range of choices.
The speed you choose only affects how fast things play out, so you don't have to be worried about going to a faster setting and suddenly seeing more players miss balls or anything like that.

But yes, the current "quick" setting will probably have players move around the field about the same speed as the old "normal" setting did, although you will probably notice the ball going faster now than before.

It's not hard to add more settings, though, so we'll add a few more to give you some more fine-grained control of the speeds.
__________________
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (05-17-2019), Déjà Bru (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Pendragon
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7x in 4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, this was intentional. Basically, players were going too fast before, so by slowing them down, hopefully it better balances how fast players move vs how fast the ball is travelling, and makes things appear more natural. It may take a little bit to adjust to it, but I prefer it like now.
The first game I played after the patch, I was pleasantly surprised to see that not every infield play was a close, bang-bang play. That was a nice touch.

However, the fielder delays on plays coming from the outfield are becoming very distracting and immersion-breaking. Twice in the same game I had an outfielder throw it in to the infield, and the cut-off man stood there holding the ball while two more runs scored in slow-motion. It is common now for players to hold onto the ball and watch runners run. This does not feel more natural.

Would you consider further tweaks to address the fielding animation discrepancies to balance infield/outfield plays?

Note: My wife purchased OOTP 20 for my birthday a month-and-a-half ago, and I have been enjoying it immensely.

Last edited by Pendragon; 05-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 8,804
Thanks: 985
Thanked 10,782x in 4,270 posts
Yes, I've already done a couple more tweaks to fix some of those OF plays Just didn't quite have time to get them into the last patch.
__________________
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
FSUKegman (05-16-2019), mars001 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
Pendragon
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7x in 4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, I've already done a couple more tweaks to fix some of those OF plays Just didn't quite have time to get them into the last patch.
Thanks, Matt.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
zappa1
All Star Reserve
 
zappa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 927
Thanks: 1,571
Thanked 486x in 255 posts
It's not hard to add more settings, though, so we'll add a few more to give you some more fine-grained control of the speeds.[/QUOTE] from Matt

Instead of adding more settings, why not just make it a slider bar? That way you could get the spaces in between the settings. Just a thought.

Last edited by zappa1; 05-16-2019 at 05:58 PM.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Ormondbeachdan (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #15
mgom27
Hall Of Famer
 
mgom27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,215
Thanks: 2,011
Thanked 289x in 220 posts
Live Start is messed up because Yes for all is checked and like Pillar still on Blue Jays and Shoemaker not on DL.
__________________
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
mgom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
zappa1 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #16
zappa1
All Star Reserve
 
zappa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 927
Thanks: 1,571
Thanked 486x in 255 posts
Rockies' James Pazos: Traded to Rockies
Pazos has been traded to the Rockies, Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post reports. The left-handed reliever has been shipped ...

CBSSports.com20d

I have Pazos on my active roster (Phillies) and he never threw one pitch for the team in real life. He was traded 20 days ago.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
seanstephans
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 124
Thanks: 179
Thanked 35x in 18 posts
I'm noticing a complete lack of power for my team since the patch, with a corresponding jolt of power for the cpu.

In my seven games since the patch, I've scored 15 runs, while the cpu has scored 45. I'm not seeing much in the way of HRs for me either--and all of this after me basically leading the league in power numbers through the first 50+ games of the season.

Yes, 7 games is a small sample size. But the patch makes it appear as though a switch has been flipped.
seanstephans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer
 
BirdWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,055
Thanks: 1,562
Thanked 807x in 565 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
I'm noticing a complete lack of power for my team since the patch, with a corresponding jolt of power for the cpu.

In my seven games since the patch, I've scored 15 runs, while the cpu has scored 45. I'm not seeing much in the way of HRs for me either--and all of this after me basically leading the league in power numbers through the first 50+ games of the season.

Yes, 7 games is a small sample size. But the patch makes it appear as though a switch has been flipped.
Unless an absolute flood of posts reporting something similar comes rushing in, this certainly sounds like total coincidental timing to me. Sometimes a team, IRL and in OOTP, goes into a slump. They don't score, they allow their opponents to score a ton of runs. And for a 7 game stretch even the best of teams can experience this sort of thing.
I can't promise there is no causal relationship between the patch and the 7-game trends you are seeing. But if I were a betting man, I'd pretty much bet the house against it.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
BIG17EASY (06-19-2019), BoofBonser26 (05-17-2019), seanstephans (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #19
seanstephans
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 124
Thanks: 179
Thanked 35x in 18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Unless an absolute flood of posts reporting something similar comes rushing in, this certainly sounds like total coincidental timing to me. Sometimes a team, IRL and in OOTP, goes into a slump. They don't score, they allow their opponents to score a ton of runs. And for a 7 game stretch even the best of teams can experience this sort of thing.
I can't promise there is no causal relationship between the patch and the 7-game trends you are seeing. But if I were a betting man, I'd pretty much bet the house against it.
Totally. That’s why I want to emphasize that this is appearance-only at this point. Moreover, I backup my game each game-month as a matter of principle and I wanted to test this out, so I loaded my backup.

Through a quick-sim of the games, the record was 5 - 4 over 9 games with a smattering of scorelines, so everything looked fine there. As a final test, I’m replaying those 9 games using the backup and I’m through the first two with typical and decent results.

As of right now, this strikes me as at coincidence for my team hitting a slump with the timing of the patch. But, I wanted to post in case there were other folks experiencing it too. Since it looks isolated, I won’t worry.
seanstephans is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BirdWatcher (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #20
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer
 
BirdWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,055
Thanks: 1,562
Thanked 807x in 565 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
Totally. That’s why I want to emphasize that this is appearance-only at this point. Moreover, I backup my game each game-month as a matter of principle and I wanted to test this out, so I loaded my backup.

Through a quick-sim of the games, the record was 5 - 4 over 9 games with a smattering of scorelines, so everything looked fine there. As a final test, I’m replaying those 9 games using the backup and I’m through the first two with typical and decent results.

As of right now, this strikes me as at coincidence for my team hitting a slump with the timing of the patch. But, I wanted to post in case there were other folks experiencing it too. Since it looks isolated, I won’t worry.
Well in that case, hopefully your team gets its groove back soon.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
seanstephans (05-18-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments