Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
drhay53
Major Leagues

Pawns give away walk-off and playoff wins by pre-appearing outside the dugout

Sorry if I just taught you a spoiler that you didn't want to know, but before the last hit or out of either a walkoff game or any playoff game, the pawns of the winning team spawn outside their dugout in preparation for the mob animation. So basically I know before the play even happens who is about to win. It's not that big of a deal, it only delays the knowledge of what's about to happen by a few seconds, but it would be nice if this didn't happen.

Last edited by drhay53; 05-14-2017 at 02:26 PM.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Picture or it never happened

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
drhay53
Major Leagues

http://imgur.com/a/w90r7

This was as soon as I could catch it, but they showed up before the pitch.

They show up before WP walkoffs, before any kind of play that ends in a walkoff or ends any playoff games. It happens every time and I've seen it dozens of times.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

That is weird. Would like to here an explanation action way that happens. Maybe the team is being "hopeful" they rallying?

Last edited by Padreman; 05-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
drhay53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
That is weird. Would like to here an explanation action way that happens. Maybe the team is being "hopeful" they rallying?
No, absolutely not. It only happens right before the final play of the game, no other time, ever. It's just that the full result of the play is known before it is rendered in 3D. So the pawns are spawning because the game knows that the play that is being rendered is the last play and the mob scene is needed.

Just for reference, I've played out 3 full seasons with 3 playoffs including 2 world series wins in '18. So I have seen hundreds of games, and dozens of walkoff / playoff games. I am very confident that the pawns are giving away the result of the game before the play is rendered in 3D.

Last edited by drhay53; 05-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I am pretty sure he's correct. I've had same thing. I have a replay but don't know how to upload it....
Old 05-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Have You put this on the bug list? It is weird that the game would react like that

Old 05-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
drhay53
Major Leagues

I haven't reported it as a bug. I've known about it for a long time but for some reason just never thought to post about it.

I'm 100% certain that I can tell when the game is about to end from the pawns spawning. All you have to do is play out a few playoff games and you can see it for yourself.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

that's because the random seed is already generated before you hit a button.

maybe if you try to bunt for a hit, it won't work... try somethign really risky next time you see that situation and see if you are still victorious. you'd have to do it the entire Ab, not just once to test.

i'm pretty sure any generation of a random seed occurs at the start of the AB... it's not randomly generated each time a decision needs to be made involving multiple possible resutls... it's deciding multiple things with 1 roll.

this is why if you save a game and try to repeat an AB... you tend to get the same results more than not... more obvious when comparing an out and trying to get a homerun as a result, lol.

if you save the game and the seed provides a 1% chance of hitting a HR in that ab (however it works, just resulting probability of the relevant equation)... you keep reloading that game after crashing it and it will maintain that random seed... you will get 99outs out of 100 reloads. an AB is mathematically decided the moment they step up to the plate, becaue they don't re-rng the seed for each pitch in the AB.

every single logical event that requires a probability check or whatever you want to call it should have it's own unique 'roll,' but that's not how it works, i'm fairly sure.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-14-2017 at 04:04 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
drhay53
Major Leagues

I don't actually manage the games; I let both teams be managed by the CPU. The pawns spawning is 100% though. Just watch the playoffs if you want to see it without waiting for a walkoff. I've seen the pawns spawn on WP walkoffs, homeruns, singles, errors, you name it, every situation that I've seen a game end on, the pawns will spawn before the play.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I reported it a while ago
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhay53 View Post
I don't actually manage the games; I let both teams be managed by the CPU. The pawns spawning is 100% though. Just watch the playoffs if you want to see it without waiting for a walkoff. I've seen the pawns spawn on WP walkoffs, homeruns, singles, errors, you name it, every situation that I've seen a game end on, the pawns will spawn before the play.
i'm not asking for a pic, i simply believe you.

and it jives with my past experiences and reinforces the things i thought were true from my last post.

just fo fun, take control and try a double steal or steal hom etc...

save the game before you do so... "crash" ootp by "ending process" (not end task!) through the windows task manager after you have tried an 'option' for that situation... reload game and you will be at your save point, with the SAME random seed value, because the results will continue to occur in the same proportions in perpetuity, lol.

i'm curious if it's completely a foregone conclusion regardless of choice. it's more rhetorical, i doubt you'd want to waste time doing that, lol....

Last edited by NoOne; 05-14-2017 at 04:29 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
smiller
Major Leagues

On a similar note, you can tell when a batted ball will drop in for a hit with less than two outs and runners on base, as the runners take off as soon as the ball is hit as if they know it won't be caught.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
drhay53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
On a similar note, you can tell when a batted ball will drop in for a hit with less than two outs and runners on base, as the runners take off as soon as the ball is hit as if they know it won't be caught.
Yeah there are many things like this. Like, you know it's going to be an error if it's a groundball and the runner going to first swings out like he's going to make the turn at first. You can tell it's going to be an error on a flyball by where the runners stop away from the base....etc. etc. I've gotten used to the quirks.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Giving away what's going to happen takes the fun out of it. I hope Markus team is working hard on fixing this for the sake of our enjoyment.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #16
keeks
Minors (Single A)

happened to me too

Last edited by keeks; 05-15-2017 at 02:53 AM.
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Psychic pawns. Spooky
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Are you saying they appear before you even hit the button for the next pitch, or as soon as you hit the button? There is a big difference....

There are other little tells like that by the pawns that happen AFTER you hit the button, but before the batter hits the ball....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

It is only after. It is not a gamebreaker as far as any sort of strategy or decision-making. It's solely cosmetic.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #20
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
Psychic pawns. Spooky
Or the Sparkplugs.
Klaus 74 is offline   Reply With Quote