Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 10-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
TheAdamBn
Minors (Triple A)

Whats going on in your game

I've not seen one of these posted yet, so thought I would make one.

There are times when the game decides to take your precious dreams and proceed to destroy them in front of you, usually when you need that player that's just been injured or that win to secure a playoff place.

On the flip side, there's the underdog story of a team nobody thought that would win anything, or a coach that nobody wanted to hire that proves everyone wrong at the last possible moment.

Sometimes, its just a random event that makes you look at the game and go 'Really!'

These are their stories...

I'll start.

Playing a modern game as the Calgary Hitman and Elliot Peterson goes out in a pre-season game with a high-ankle strain causing me to no end of grief as most of my 1st and 2nd line offence were on the IR list. I'm updating my lines almost every game as players get battered.

I'm doing alright and have a record of 6-2-1 as a batch of players come back, Peterson included. 'Awesome' i'm thinking as I look to bolster my worn out lines..

After the next game.. Petersons gone again.. this time with MRSA. Thats the last time I send a player to the local hospital to see sick children.
TheAdamBn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
sutekhxeper
Bat Boy

3 seasons as WHL coach

Tried to organize this but throwing it out in case anyone is entertained.

I wanted to pick a lower league team instead of start with my fav Buffalo Sabres to gain experience.
I picked the only hockey team in my state, the Portland Winterhawks!
Solid team, made playoffs first year, made it to quarterfinals before being shot down.

After that I made a lot of mistakes which I learned from, ended up with too many guys with low ability. Such as recruiting Zane Franklin a 2 star ability guy for 5 years who I ended up using as backup. By the end of my first 2 seasons he had a 18+ rating in playing all Forward positions and 12+ Defensive. Being one of the bottom of the barrel teams, 3 other teams and myself were within 2-4 points of each other the last half of the season, I barely squeaked into the playoffs to meet the owner's expectation. Promptly got mopped up 0-4 but was pretty happy I even made it.

This most recent season I am doing a lot better. I bought out some players like Z Franklin and a couple of others that just plain sucked and took up valuable space. I recruited more scouts so that each one specialized in a region around the world and actually did a better overall job of looking for good players, it even paid off as I recruited some Former-USSR defenseman from the CHL import draft.

I picked up some good drafts, and picked up a few free agents to fill my gaps. Most times I tend to go over my free agent budget but am fine because NHL teams end up offering contracts to my guys that were drafted by them. I screwed up with my goalies and ended up with a 2.5star guy, but my team plays so well it doesn't even seem to matter, and somehow he was top 10 (ending up 2nd) in league for GAA while the other goalies are 3stars or above. I racked up more points in 30 games my 3rd season than 72 games in my 2nd season.

My team was ranked #1 in the Conference/Division by a long shot, at some point we were 48-7-1, (ended up being 62-8-1.)
Later in the season I saw that the #1 draft pick had a potential of 7. The Wheat Kings were last place by 5 points. I traded one of my 2nd line players (Glass) for their 1st round pick and Z Franklin! The irony is that I should have waited a bit, because he helped them get out of last place and are now barely going to make the playoffs! At least Franklin has 3 stars instead of 2 now!

Right before the playoffs 2 of my 1st line players get injured! Both of them are in top 3 for assists/points for the league so they were definitely some of my best guys.
Squeak by the first team, one has healed for the next round, that is pretty much where I am at. Definitely looking forward to coaching AHL and NHL teams with less constraints. The age restrictions are definitely a challenge with the quick turnaround of players but it has been quite a bit of fun. Some of the top dog teams like the Kowloona Rockets and Seattle Thunderbirds are now at the bottom when a couple of years ago they were ranked in the top 3. Wild Stuff!

Last edited by sutekhxeper; 10-05-2015 at 10:38 PM.
sutekhxeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

So far I've had a blast with it. I created a Fictional League with 18 teams and did a lot of customizing of contracts/terms to get a structure in place. The best game I've watched (as I don't play, I act as a GM) for 'my team', the Seattle Stingrays, was they went into OT (which is 4-on-4 for 10 minutes) and the other team got a PP. My star Center scored a SH goal when it felt like all hope seemed lost.

I'm only roughly 7 games into my season but I'm pleased with how the league seems to be working. They are balanced with a few teams struggling and a few more doing well with one team still undefeated at 5-0-0. The only thing I don't like is I wasn't able to edit the playoff format (probably can only do it on July 1st I imagine) so 16 of the 18 teams will make the playoffs. Ah well, I guess I can have a goofy first season for a new league.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Rich Tiger Fan
Major Leagues

I created a 16 team fictional league based on teams in the Barclays Premier League. After simming 15 years into the future. Start date was 2000...so I simmed to 2015. I take over the Aston Villa Villans.

I like to take teams that are not a wreck but are not great either. So Aston Villa was a good choice at 31-31-16. League is set up with no overtime, three points for a win and one for a tie.

I battled for fourth place in my division all season. Only to lose out on the playoffs by one point to West Bromwich. I ended up 31-32-15. Just slightly worse than the season before. I tied the last game and the team I was battling against won. Grrrr!!!

I am now entering my second season running the team and I was able to sign the leagues number one scorer, Robin Boughton (109), from the season before...About half way through the season I am in a three way battle for first in my division and should be on my way to the playoffs.

I am having a ton of fun with this version. Though the fictional game is limited compared to OOTP it is still deep enough to immerse yourself.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdsaint View Post
So far I've had a blast with it. I created a Fictional League with 18 teams and did a lot of customizing of contracts/terms to get a structure in place. The best game I've watched (as I don't play, I act as a GM) for 'my team', the Seattle Stingrays, was they went into OT (which is 4-on-4 for 10 minutes) and the other team got a PP. My star Center scored a SH goal when it felt like all hope seemed lost.

I'm only roughly 7 games into my season but I'm pleased with how the league seems to be working. They are balanced with a few teams struggling and a few more doing well with one team still undefeated at 5-0-0. The only thing I don't like is I wasn't able to edit the playoff format (probably can only do it on July 1st I imagine) so 16 of the 18 teams will make the playoffs. Ah well, I guess I can have a goofy first season for a new league.
Don't get your hopes up. You won't be able to change the playoff format at all.

I'm currently in the 1985 with the Boston Bruins. Through various wacky trades I was able to get Gretzky, Lemieux and Coffey on my team. But the big guns don't seem to have developed like they did in reality and Marcel Dionne (in Minnesota) wins one Art Ross after the other

Also, I shipped out Bobby Orr when he turned 30 in 1978 to the Toronto Maple Leafs for a great prospect (forgot who) and three first round picks. I did that a) expecting Orr to slow down immensly and b) in anticipation to pick up Gretzky.
Well, b) worked out via trading all the Leafs stuff to Gretzky's former WHA team (forgot who?? Not Edmonton...),but Orr is showing me the middle finger since his trade. In 1985 he is still going strong for the Leafs. Orr actually outscored the mighty Great One in 1984, putting up 137 points!!
Fun stuff so far!
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens66 View Post
Don't get your hopes up. You won't be able to change the playoff format at all.

I'm currently in the 1985 with the Boston Bruins. Through various wacky trades I was able to get Gretzky, Lemieux and Coffey on my team. But the big guns don't seem to have developed like they did in reality and Marcel Dionne (in Minnesota) wins one Art Ross after the other

Also, I shipped out Bobby Orr when he turned 30 in 1978 to the Toronto Maple Leafs for a great prospect (forgot who) and three first round picks. I did that a) expecting Orr to slow down immensly and b) in anticipation to pick up Gretzky.
Well, b) worked out via trading all the Leafs stuff to Gretzky's former WHA team (forgot who?? Not Edmonton...),but Orr is showing me the middle finger since his trade. In 1985 he is still going strong for the Leafs. Orr actually outscored the mighty Great One in 1984, putting up 137 points!!
Fun stuff so far!
Really? No option to cut down the amount of playoff teams? It seems a bit ridiculous to have 18 teams in a league and all but 2 make the playoffs. Hmm, well hopefully they change that in a future update. They have to have the ability to have less playoff teams because a league with 12 teams would automatically have to.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

I'm just currently experimenting right now but like how this league i have is unfolding. 26 teams 84 games 3-2-1 scoring format.....
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
Rich Tiger Fan
Major Leagues

Quote:
Really? No option to cut down the amount of playoff teams? It seems a bit ridiculous to have 18 teams in a league and all but 2 make the playoffs. Hmm, well hopefully they change that in a future update. They have to have the ability to have less playoff teams because a league with 12 teams would automatically have to.
This is the reason I cut my league to 16 teams instead of the 18...in the 16 team format there are only 8 teams that make the playoffs.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #9
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems a bit ridiculous to have 18 teams in a league and all but 2 make the playoffs. Hmm, well hopefully they change that in a future update. They have to have the ability to have less playoff teams because a league with 12 teams would automatically have to.
As far as I know, all the schedules and structures in fictional are based on real-life league structures of present and past.

The 18-team format, with 16 making the playoffs, is how the QMJHL currently operates and I believe the structure is modeled after that.

I definitely do hope at some point a couple basic playoff options can be implemented like how many teams qualify.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
As far as I know, all the schedules and structures in fictional are based on real-life league structures of present and past.

The 18-team format, with 16 making the playoffs, is how the QMJHL currently operates and I believe the structure is modeled after that.

I definitely do hope at some point a couple basic playoff options can be implemented like how many teams qualify.
Ah ok, thanks Cole. Well certainly no offense to you guys since the QMJHL uses it but it's a stupid format.

I'm sure they'll add more customization ability over time.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #11
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks Cole. Well certainly no offense to you guys since the QMJHL uses it but it's a stupid format.

I'm sure they'll add more customization ability over time.
I agree, I complain about it in the QMJHL all the time too, but I suppose the thought being that as a development league it's nice for most all those young players to get playoff experience each year.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
TheAdamBn
Minors (Triple A)

So it appears Dennis Bourque of the Sherbrooke Phoenix hates my guts

Most games I've won by 2-3 goals with occasion blowouts with 7+ goals more. My one loss is an overtime shootout after going 3-3 in regulation. The only way I could improve is to have a perfect record this far into the season.

Perhaps its a case of him wanting us to do badly to complete some corporate shenanigans.. well tough... Im onto you
Old 10-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
flyers139
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Though I fully support Ron Hextall, I've decided that I am better suited to rebuild the Flyers and bring them back to the post-season where they belong. In the first two years, I was able to shed almost all of the bad contracts (We'd like to thank Lecavalier, MacDonald, L.Schenn for their services) and rebuild with youth. Excellent scouting work being done in the SHL and OHL.

In the first off-season, Keith Yandle was brought in to replace departing veteran Mark Streit. He has anchored a blue-line that has seen an influx of young talent. With that young talent has come growing pains. Advanced statistics have painted a very clear picture about what defensive inexperience can mean for possession numbers. Fortunately, Steve Mason had a rock solid run and kept the Flyers as the class of the Eastern Conference.

Almost.

Heading into the final weeks of the 2016-17 season, Philadelphia was #1 in the standings. They had 99 points in the standings with 6 games to go. Mason completely lost his Vezina-caliber play that carried him through the season, and backup netminding wasn't much more help. The Flyers lost the final 6 games of the season outright.

Playoffs started and we managed to get the #3 seed in the Metropolitan division. Pittsburgh was up first and the Flyers made quick work of Fleury and company, winning the series 4-1. Next up was Columbus. Philly took the series to a 3-1 lead and couldn't hold on. 3 losses in succession meant a season with so much hope had flamed out. Ovie won his first Cup with the Caps.

The horizon is bright. Offensive talent is being heavily scouted while our young defensive prospects mature and our aging standbys see slight drops in production. Perhaps 16-17 saw some over-achieving. Whether or not that is true, the foundation is in place for a very long run of dominance.
flyers139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
Cod
All Star Reserve

I'm trying to "rebuild" the Sabres. I don't think its rebuilding necessarily since the team is already loaded with young talent. I'm going to spend the first 2 seasons trying to build up the foundation. I'm hoping to compete in year 3. After one game, things are looking good. Jack Eichel was able to put the puck in the net twice in 19 mins in our first game of the 2015/16 season. Now I'm constantly scouring the lands for a young goalie w/ a lot of potential.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

I ran a test season as the Isles.

They lost Tavares for a month int he first game, and limped along at just above 500. Once he came back, things clicked and they had a decent run to finish 3rd in the Metro.

They played Washington again in the first round, but ended up winning in 6.

In the second round, they faced the Rangers and won game 1, but lost Tavares for 3 weeks in the game. They gutted out a game 7 OT win.

They faced Tampa in the Conference finals, winning game 1, but dropping the next 3 in 1 goal games. Tavares came back for game 5, but wasn't enough.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #16
pens66
Major Leagues

Started a historical game with the Penguins for the 84-85 season to guide Big Mario through his career. I slowly got the franchise turned around via some great trades. We finished 1st in 87 and 2nd in 88, but got thrown out by the more experienced teams in the playoffs each time.

Lemieux piled up points: 131, 111, 146 and 171 in his first four seasons. I found Cam Neely as a great trigger man on the right wing. He has 67 goals in 117 games in two injury riddled seasons.

I then went on to bolster my blueline. I traded for veteran Doug Wilson to put my powerplay over the top. Worked out great. He had 39 points in 43 games in the second half of the season. In the 88 offseason I aquired Bob Rouse (trade) and Bruce Driver (offer sheet).

Projected lineup for the 88-89 season:

Kevin Stevens - Mario Lemieux - Cam Neely
Bob Errey - Mike Bullard - Youri Khmylev
Lindy Ruff - Dave Hannan - Troy Loney
Brad Aitken - Dave Poulin - Serge Roberge

Bruce Driver - Doug Wilson
Doug Bodger - Bob Rouse
Norm MacIver - Norm Schmidt

Bill Ranford - Alain Chevrier

I thought I was ready to take on the mighty Oilers now. BUT: Then the 88 Entry Draft came and I got the nasty name bug... Jewell Roenick, Rohac Brind'Amour, Teemu Seppo, Noel Modano, McCrea Gelinas and so on. Takes the fun out of it. I guess I have to start again

By the way: Gretzky is insane! He scored 76, 74, 66 (in 61 games) and 74 (in 70) in those four seasons. But the Oilers only won two Cups.
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
TheAdamBn
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamBn View Post
So it appears Dennis Bourque of the Sherbrooke Phoenix hates my guts

Most games I've won by 2-3 goals with occasion blowouts with 7+ goals more. My one loss is an overtime shootout after going 3-3 in regulation. The only way I could improve is to have a perfect record this far into the season.

Perhaps its a case of him wanting us to do badly to complete some corporate shenanigans.. well tough... Im onto you
I've moved into November with a record of 15-3-1 and Bourque still thinks performance needs to improve. I've been 9-3-0 this month and he claims this isn't good enough..
Old 10-17-2015, 01:54 AM   #18
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

My defensive defenseman just scored 5 goals in a 9-6 win.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #19
UKRedSox
Major Leagues

I have only seen one Hockey game live, and that was back in 1994 in the Czech Republic.

So I have decided the start a game with the one of the teams I watched that night, ok the team I remembered playing that evening HC Sparta Parha.

Still learning the 'in and outs' of the game as well.
UKRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #20
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKRedSox View Post
I have only seen one Hockey game live, and that was back in 1994 in the Czech Republic.

So I have decided the start a game with the one of the teams I watched that night, ok the team I remembered playing that evening HC Sparta Parha.

Still learning the 'in and outs' of the game as well.
Welcome aboard, let us know if you have any issues or questions!