Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 09-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Interesting Trade

This trade was made between AI run teams - thoughts?
_
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
djsatu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So far we have this trade, and this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrisrox View Post
The Sabres are accelerating their rebuild. Before the season has even begun, they shipped out Zemgus Girgensons and Brian Gionta to acquire Roberto Luongo and Michael Downing.

Florida is definitely getting younger, cause a few days later they flipped Jagr for a young defensive prospect.
I'd like to see what other bad trades others have seen or have done with the AI. Im on the fence for buying this game, and would like the games to be as realstic as possible.

Front Office Football 7, Football Manager 2016, EHM EA, BBCF, OOTP 16
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
This trade was made between AI run teams - thoughts?
_
So Edmonton has too many strong centres. Think of it like Quebec City where they had to send out Mats Sundin to Toronto. There's only so much icetime to go around and they could have 3 top centers. So trading Ryan could make sense for the most return; however, that return is definitely not a good one for the oilers. They realized they needed a defense and Matheson can turn into a pretty solid defensive dman. Pirri could become a solid winger but a 1st rounder at least should of come EDM way and maybe even another player.

Last edited by dave1927p; 09-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
So Edmonton has too many strong centres. Think of it like Quebec City where they had to send out Mats Sundin to Toronto. There's only so much icetime to go around and they could have 3 top centers. So trading Ryan could make sense for the most return; however, that return is definitely not a good one for the oilers.
Well, the AI has to consider so many aspects when evaluating trades, it's just natural that every once in a while a trade looks weird on the surface. I mean, in real life there are countless examples of bad trades, even right when the trade happened.

Also, please keep in mind that the AI only knows ratings & stats, but not names like you do in real life. Often times a player has a good reputation but in reality isn't that good rated at all, for good reasons.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

Been playing for about an hr or so and what an improvement over FHM14 in just about every way loving the game so far. I just wanted to say that because I don't want people to think I am upset but the trade AI does need work

CPU Controlled trade

Buffalo
Tayler Hall

Edmonton
Colton Orr
2015 3rd Round pick

Like I said I love the game so far but how the hell does the Edmonton AI think that is a good move. On the other hand I created the next Bobby Orr and put him on Buffalo to begin the season so I guess that will help him out lol.

I bought FHM14 on day one of beta and wasn't exactly thrilled with the game, although I think it was better then what a lot off people gave it credit for. I just want to say thanks to OOTP for sticking with it and delivering the NHL sim I always wanted. (Love to customize...Dam hardcoded EHM lol)
Bruins86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the AI has to consider so many aspects when evaluating trades, it's just natural that every once in a while a trade looks weird on the surface. I mean, in real life there are countless examples of bad trades, even right when the trade happened.

Also, please keep in mind that the AI only knows ratings & stats, but not names like you do in real life. Often times a player has a good reputation but in reality isn't that good rated at all, for good reasons.
So the AI doesn't have the knowledge that he's a first overall pick player. Based on that, they received some help on the back end and a solid winger for the third line who can grow to the second line. If Edmonton kept him they'd run into cap issues too and no doubt based on Ryan's numbers he hasn't been playing like a superstar he's predicted to be by some.

Trade AI is definitely a tough part to code. I would think it possible to be something tweaked with patches and no doubt through each new version as well.

Last edited by dave1927p; 09-28-2015 at 04:37 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
djsatu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins86 View Post
Been playing for about an hr or so and what an improvement over FHM14 in just about every way loving the game so far. I just wanted to say that because I don't want people to think I am upset but the trade AI does need work

CPU Controlled trade

Buffalo
Tayler Hall

Edmonton
Colton Orr
2015 3rd Round pick

Like I said I love the game so far but how the hell does the Edmonton AI think that is a good move. On the other hand I created the next Bobby Orr and put him on Buffalo to begin the season so I guess that will help him out lol.

I bought FHM14 on day one of beta and wasn't exactly thrilled with the game, although I think it was better then what a lot off people gave it credit for. I just want to say thanks to OOTP for sticking with it and delivering the NHL sim I always wanted. (Love to customize...Dam hardcoded EHM lol)
This is beyond awful AI logic.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Divergent
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is the Trade AI that horrible...just for that I am going to have to hold up on me buying the game..
Divergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Divergent
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Seems like the improvements of this have not been improved. FHM14? All over again?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

For the record - I didn't think it was a bad trade, I was just looking for other thoughts on it.

Edmonton has depth at centre, they need depth at wing and they need defense. I thought they might have gotten a high draft pick too, but I don't think it was a rip off by any means.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #11
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divergent View Post
Is the Trade AI that horrible...just for that I am going to have to hold up on me buying the game..
Well to be fair that is by far the worst I have seen.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
Divergent
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I am not talking about the EDM trade, the Buffalo one though...That is pretty damn horrific...
Old 09-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divergent View Post
Seems like the improvements of this have not been improved. FHM14? All over again?
This is nonsense. You cannot judge the AI by one seemingly weird trade. Maybe the player involved got a talent bump or whatever.

Every sports sim has strange trades, even OOTP, and that trade AI has been improved for 16 years....
Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins86 View Post

CPU Controlled trade

Buffalo
Tayler Hall

Edmonton
Colton Orr
2015 3rd Round pick.
That looks like a salary dump. I'd have to know Edmonton's previous transactions to figure out exactly what happened. Normally they'd ditch Nikitin's $4.5m first if they had cap issues, but if he was already gone or they couldn't move him, they'd look to move a bigger salary, and could wind up doing something desperate if they were in big trouble.

Looks like Orr's pretty overrated in the database, too, he may have gotten a little less editing attention since he's still a free agent, I'll fix that for the first update.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
This is nonsense. You cannot judge the AI by one seemingly weird trade. Maybe the player involved got a talent bump or whatever.

Every sports sim has strange trades, even OOTP, and that trade AI has been improved for 16 years....
Idk if the game looks at it but he was having a terrible season also
before the trade
60gp 14g 21a 35p

and before people start complaining about scoring levels the rest of the league seems pretty good, maybe a little low but Crosby just won the Scoring title with a 91 point season missing a few games
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Unfortunately Markus, this is going to be normal on the release. The people that don't like one thing that happened, they will say that and bash the game. It's a shame that people will throw out accusations over 1 trade that was posted. There are plenty of good and solid trades that are made and some odd ones.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Unfortunately Markus, this is going to be normal on the release. The people that don't like one thing that happened, they will say that and bash the game. It's a shame that people will throw out accusations over 1 trade that was posted. There are plenty of good and solid trades that are made and some odd ones.
Yes, I know. It still gets on my nerves every once in a while. Trade AI is the most difficult thing to code, and I know some pretty high profile games which utterly cheat in this area, which OOTP and FHM don't do. Is it perfect in our games? No. Of course not. But we are improving it all the time...
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
Crombeen
Minors (Triple A)

Of course both EDM examples are bad.. I think it has everything to do with EDM having so many young(er) players up front that the CPU is going to balance it as every club would if they are controlled by the CPU.

If you would manage an NHL club in this game and you'd trade to get all good young prospects over 3 years but you got fired in the 4th year I think the CPU manager that comes after you will balance the squad out evenly and trade a few of those great players. It probably just how the game works. This prevents the game from going after younger players only because they have better value.

That's what I think.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Just like real life, no?

It's funny how people want to see a game ai never, ever make what they think would be a bad move, when real life GM's and executives regularly make moves that their team's fans jump all over.

So the expectation appears to be that a game should be better than professional front offices run by guys with advanced degrees, getting paid huge amounts of money

Talk about unrealistic expectations!
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
djsatu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Im on the fence for this game. I would love to see examples of the good trades people have seen so far in this game. Obviously things will get patched, and it looks like the creators of the game want to make it right which is great to see! Im a happy owner of EHM EA, and I just want more great sim games to play. Maybe im just picky, but being a sim text player for 10+ years, I know what I want in a game!