Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Expansion/Editing Questions

Hello, I'm trying to plan out my first game in FHM2, and I have some questions. I realize we're still a few days from release so answer as best you can. I'm planning to take over an expansion team in the modern era. Some Expansion questions first:

1. I know the expansion has to happen on a certain date and the first season starts on a certain date. Does this mean I need to sim through season 1 to expand? Not a problem just want to confirm.

2. Can an expansion team have a custom jersey for face gen? Seems likely with what people are doing for Custom Leagues but again just want to confirm. If so I'll put something together this weekend.

Now an editing question. I've never played OOTP and I didn't play with the FHM14 Editor much, so this might be obvious.

3. Can we add staff? I've been thinking about adding some staff to give my team a personal touch.

Thank you. I may have some more questions later.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empach View Post
Hello, I'm trying to plan out my first game in FHM2, and I have some questions. I realize we're still a few days from release so answer as best you can. I'm planning to take over an expansion team in the modern era. Some Expansion questions first:

1. I know the expansion has to happen on a certain date and the first season starts on a certain date. Does this mean I need to sim through season 1 to expand? Not a problem just want to confirm.

2. Can an expansion team have a custom jersey for face gen? Seems likely with what people are doing for Custom Leagues but again just want to confirm. If so I'll put something together this weekend.

Now an editing question. I've never played OOTP and I didn't play with the FHM14 Editor much, so this might be obvious.

3. Can we add staff? I've been thinking about adding some staff to give my team a personal touch.

Thank you. I may have some more questions later.
Yes to all three!
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Actually sorry, as I look more closely I don't believe there's a way to create a staff member.. But you can edit existing ones as you see fit.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
nichimanen
Minors (Single A)

I had a question on this as well. I had seen in an earlier thread that there was a cap on expansion size (i.e. 6) and just wanted to confirm that ...

If I started a fictional league in 1931 with 6 teams I would only be able to grow the league to 12 teams and that I would not be able to grow it to, say, 30 teams.

Is that correct?
nichimanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Ferrisrox
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Yes to all three!
Wait a second ... Yes to the question about having to burn off a year?

I can't start up the game and take control of an expansion team right away? I have to burn a season by just simming before I can expand?

That's a real let down.
Ferrisrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrisrox View Post

I can't start up the game and take control of an expansion team right away? I have to burn a season by just simming before I can expand?

That's a real let down.
Yes, you have to simulate a season. At the games start date prior to the 2015/2016 it doesn't make much sense to expand at that time. Maybe down the road, who knows, but for now you have to complete the first season before expansion.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Since the ECHL (as it stands now) I believe is only 28 teams so the max it can expand too would be 34 teams even though I thought that all leagues(NHL-AHL-ECHL-Fictional Leagues) would have the same amount of teams when expanding(three leagues max 30 teams to 32 teams to 34 teams to 36 teams)?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrisrox View Post

That's a real let down.

Disband an NHL team(example:Nashville Predators) and then assign their players to other NHL teams and turn the former Nashville team into an expansion team(hold your own draft outside the game on paper) and the next season bring back the Predators and put their current(or future) team back together or just make them another expansion team. Move players one by one with the player editor(shouldn't be a problem as long as editing works properly).

Last edited by Orioles1966; 09-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Ferrisrox
Minors (Double A)

Can I just start the game at the beginning of last season so I can still expand the league for the 2015-16 season?

What I am most looking forward to is building an expansion team from scratch. I don't want to sim a season, or manage a different team for a season before I can expand.

I thought, like OOTP, you could turn the game on and take over an expansion team right away.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
Ferrisrox
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Yes, you have to simulate a season. At the games start date prior to the 2015/2016 it doesn't make much sense to expand at that time.
Why doesn't it make sense to expand at the start of the 15-16 season?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #11
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Actually sorry, as I look more closely I don't believe there's a way to create a staff member.. But you can edit existing ones as you see fit.
Okay, that was my plan B. Thanks.
Adding a new person seemed "cleaner", but not a big deal. I'll hunt down some inconsequential staff somewhere.

I'll be honest I'd prefer if expansion could occur at the start date, it just feels so strange to skip the first season, but it's not a deal breaker to me. Just having expansion is cool.
Might be something to look at in a future version.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

My NHL ,AHL and ECHL are going to look completely different from the real leagues, so my first year(even without expansion) is going too be real interesting.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #13
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I often read posts about editing/expanding/changing the leagues to whatever structure you want.

For a long time now we try to make it clear that the main focus of FHM is to mimic the real world as closely as possible. Yes, we also have fully functional historical and fictional modes, you can edit some basic rules/settings and you can expand the leagues (NHL in modern mode and your Major league in fictional). But most likely it will not have the depth some people wish it would have.

Thats not because we want to angry people but simply a question of resources: we are two coder and have a limited time per week to work. So to not repeat the same errors from the past we concentrate on the main focus of the franchise before we allocate work to other areas of the game. Eventually, all this areas will get more content over time but I honestly can't say when.

To answer a few questions from this thread:

Expansion is only after the first season because the start date is August 15th and that is to late for the expansion draft.

Modern game has 3 * 2 expansions for the NHL (6 in total), in fictional you can expand more.

You can't relocate any teams in FHM 2.

The 6 team limit is not based on league size. As I wrote above, you can expand the NHL to 36 and every new NHL team also gets a AHL and ECHL team.

Before you buy FHM 2, please verify if you can do with the game, what you want to do with it. In some cases I get the feeling that FHM 2 is not the right game for you and I don't want you guys to be disappointed.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #14
Evok
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Modern game has 3 * 2 expansions for the NHL (6 in total), in fictional you can expand more.
Is there any limit to expend the fictional league ?
Evok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I often read posts about editing/expanding/changing the leagues to whatever structure you want.

For a long time now we try to make it clear that the main focus of FHM is to mimic the real world as closely as possible. Yes, we also have fully functional historical and fictional modes, you can edit some basic rules/settings and you can expand the leagues (NHL in modern mode and your Major league in fictional). But most likely it will not have the depth some people wish it would have.

Thats not because we want to angry people but simply a question of resources: we are two coder and have a limited time per week to work. So to not repeat the same errors from the past we concentrate on the main focus of the franchise before we allocate work to other areas of the game. Eventually, all this areas will get more content over time but I honestly can't say when.

To answer a few questions from this thread:

Expansion is only after the first season because the start date is August 15th and that is to late for the expansion draft.

You can't relocate any teams in FHM 2.

The 6 team limit is not based on league size. As I wrote above, you can expand the NHL to 36 and every new NHL team also gets a AHL and ECHL team.

Before you buy FHM 2, please verify if you can do with the game, what you want to do with it. In some cases I get the feeling that FHM 2 is not the right game for you and I don't want you guys to be disappointed.
Thanks for the post Sebastian.

I have had to tell a few people over the past couple months that what they wanted to do with the game wouldn't work, but for the most part I think people do realize what FHM 2 can and can't do and they are adapting their league plans accordingly. I certainly have never knowingly let someone talk about something that wasn't possible in FHM 2.

I am happy to answer any questions further to help people clarify that.

There's not full customization of course, but there still is a lot of room to put your own personal creativity into a game.

And regarding relocation... while there's not a specific "feature" that allows this automatically, a user can go in and change a team's name and city (And logo of course), which I do believe is all a user would want in terms of relocation.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

If player editing works at 100 percent then I should be able to move teams and players. I moved teams from the WHA to the NHL in version one(when the editing worked properly).

Sounds good that fictional leagues can have more expansion.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 09-25-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
pbbm
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks, Sebastien and Cole.

I bought FHM 2014 shortly after release, so I wasn't around the forums before the release. I can't speak to how it was handled then, but Cole and the beta testers have done a great job of explaining the game, and its limitations for FHM 2. The service for potential consumers with questions has been excellent and very informative.

Considering the size of the team behind FHM 2, it's retail price, and that this is the first time for the game on a new engine, my expectations for the game is only that it works. There will likely be a few bugs here or there, but as long as it does everything it's supposed to, I'll be happy. And from what I've seen and heard from the testers it looks like the game excels at everything it does.

It'll be great to see any and all additions made to this game in coming years, but for now I feel the game has quite a few announced features that will keep me happy until next year, at least.
pbbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #18
tward13
All Star Starter

I'm hoping for a game that is easy to play (meaning not hard to find options or complicated to set-up the team), and has results that are realistic and reasonable. For mean current NHL or historical seasons will be fine. I have no need for complicated fictional leagues.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Will the 5 AHL teams in California still have 68 game schedules if the AHL expands?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #20
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

The Problem is that League Structure isn't going to be turned on and needs to be. Also Expansion can happen in first year because Opening Day isn't intill November. Yes you can can Ecit a Person to move him to another Team.