Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #61
Eric
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonor View Post
Despite running about as "fantasy" a league as you can get, I tend to crank up historical seasons when it's just me. It really reminds me of the old Strat-O-Matic days of yore.
I like historical seasons as well except replace APBA with Strat-o-matic.
The biggest advantage is not having to sort cards after I'm done with a season.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #62
PW MAX
Minors (Triple A)

I love to create my own fictional leagues, with all my own fictional teams and players, I always do that. I've been thinking about playing a real world historical MLB, though, and bringing in movie characters along the way(Roy Hobbs, Stan Ross, Billy Chapel, etc.), but mainly, with the real world, I'd be more interested in baseball's golden age than the present day (not that I have anything against the present day).
PW MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #63
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I like historical seasons as well except replace APBA with Strat-o-matic.
The biggest advantage is not having to sort cards after I'm done with a season.
Actually, I think I played AH Statis Pro more that Strat-o-Matic. It's been a while...

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #64
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonor View Post
Actually, I think I played AH Statis Pro more that Strat-o-Matic. It's been a while...
We're going off-topic here, but in my opinion it's easier to to do 'historical' with cards than with a computer. ('historical' means historical players, but not on their actual teams.)

I did a season of StatisPro and two of Longball. If you have the cards it's (relatively) easy to sort through and find a player's career year, or to make up 'specialty' teams, like transferring all the guys with most power to one team, the fastest guys to another, the best OBP guys to another, give one team four ace starters and another five or six ace relievers. I tried doing that a couple of weeks ago with OotPB, and I threw up my hands very quickly.

The downside of cards is that you can't sim a season.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #65
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

I was strictly a historical player,until I tried out a current league using real players to start with fictional players being introduced every year via the draft.I set the modifiers to represent baseball just prior to the steroid era(1990-1992) and I'm having a blast,in my tests,one players reached 50 homers(52) in 30 years,with the league leader usually averaging around 43-45 HR's per season.I dare say I may not go back to historical again...
Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #66
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

I've gone back and forth.

When I first started playing, I had absolutely no desire to use real players, historical or current. It was purely fictional.

Then, with last years version, I played with current rosters and had a blast, and had no desire to use fictional.

But recently, I started playing an alternate-history with fictional players. The premise is a merging of the 1912 United States Baseball League and the 1914 Federal League. I've been having a blast with that.

Today, I fired up my first historical MLB dynasty, and we'll see how that goes.
ryanivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #67
rjv3
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
I was strictly a historical player,until I tried out a current league using real players to start with fictional players being introduced every year via the draft.I set the modifiers to represent baseball just prior to the steroid era(1990-1992) and I'm having a blast,in my tests,one players reached 50 homers(52) in 30 years,with the league leader usually averaging around 43-45 HR's per season.I dare say I may not go back to historical again...
Phillie, what statistical settings did you use to produce these outcomes? I'm relatively new to OOTP and I'm looking for info/tutorials/websites on how to manipulate the stats to produce certain outcomes. The one you just described is similar to what I would like to try and do with my league so any help or advice you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
rjv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #68
sansterre
Minors (Triple A)

I play fictional, a 32 team league. Each sub-league has 4 divisions of 4 teams, and the makeup of the divisions is adjusted each year based on the prior year's standings (Division 1 is the 1,8,9,16 teams, Division 2 is the 2,7,10,15 teams, etc) and division winners make the playoffs. I also manage the hall of fame by bringing in the best: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, RF, CF, LF, Hitter, SPx5, RPx3 that are not in the hall of fame, and I induct the newest 17 every 6 years. Ie, every 6 years is a new 17-man HoF class of those positional breakdowns. It seemed like a good way to make sure that every position had appropriate representation.
sansterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #69
gglennwill
Minors (Triple A)

Viva Variety!

I like variety, so I have several different types of leagues going. The longest one has been a fictional league in which I play every game (I'm wrapping up my fourth season with 1 championship year and three less than stellar ones). I also have an 1890 historical league I play out also but allowing trades and injuries for variety, a league with 1 historical and random representative from every MLB team, a straight 1909 replay and a 1901 fictional historical league. I love the variety that this game gives me. My only problem is that the in-game AI is a bit weak and I probably win some games that I shouldn't. Hopefully that will be improved in OOTPX
gglennwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #70
Carlton_Willey
Major Leagues

I like real, historical and fictional.

Playing current MLB keeps me up to date on the players out there. Historical I use to recreate the teams and player of my youth. Fictional allows me to have a league in Italy with logos (and better uniforms when I get the chance) designed by me.

I like them all and would not want to do without any of it.

And I go for card games, too, for specific historical replays. Nothing beats holding a card and hearing the dice rattle around.

"Joe, there were a hundred thousand people there and they were all cheering and clapping; you've never seen anything like it."

"Yes, I have," DiMaggio responded.
Carlton_Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #71
edm
All Star Starter

I like playing all types, but prefer using real teams/cities/logos with fake players.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #72
deebo
Bat Boy

One of the most fun I have while doing fictional leagues with fictional players is after the first off-season's player draft, I find a prospect I like, either on my team or a computer-controlled team, and change him to me and sit back and watch how his career pans out. It's surprisingly enjoyable!!
deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #73
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjv3 View Post
I feel this is the most appropriate time for me to go ahead and jump in with my first post because as a relatively new player of OOTP (I played OOTP9 a little but have spent an inordinate amount of time with both EHM and Footy Manager) this is something I am extremely curious about. Are there any sites or tutorials out there that can educate me on how exactly to manipulate the stat outcomes? What I mean by that is if I want certain outcomes for my league (i.e. a pitcher's or hitter's era) are there any resources available that will say "if you manipulate stat 'X' then 'Y' will happen?

Any help/links/personal stories would be greatly appreciated. Glad to be a part of the community as well. Can't wait for OOTPX!
The online manual has a very good page on how league totals modifiers work.Once I read that,I pretty much was home free as to how to get the totals I wanted.My goal was to set up a modern MLB environment starting with real players down to the Minor leagues and then slowly but surely turn in into a fictional league using the draft.In that league though,I wanted stat outputs based on the combined totals of the years 1980-1989.Well to make a long story short,I did the math,came up with the modifiers,tested it and I couldn't be happier with the results.50 homers means something again,once in a great great while,someone comes along who flirts with .400(in my 100 year test,1 player actually hit .406) and the 20 game winner and 100 base stealer have also returned.If anyone is interested BTW in these modifiers,I'd be glad to share

Last edited by PhillieFever; 04-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #74
deadringer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The online manual has a very good page on how league totals modifiers work.Once I read that,I pretty much was home free as to how to get the totals I wanted.My goal was to set up a modern MLB environment starting with real players down to the Minor leagues and then slowly but surely turn in into a fictional league using the draft.In that league though,I wanted stat outputs based on the combined totals of the years 1980-1992.or the 12 years prior to the steroid era.Well to make a long story short,I did the math,came up with the modifiers,tested it and I couldn't be happier with the results.50 homers means something again,once in a great great while,someone comes along who flirts with .400(in my 100 year test,1 player actually hit .406) and the 20 game winner and 100 base stealer have also returned.If anyone is interested BTW in these modifiers,I'd be glad to share
I'll take the modifiers for sure!
deadringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #75
SSG Troyer
All Star Starter

I play fictional. 2 leagues of 3 divisions with 6 teams each. 36 teams...one ML team per lower 48 state (well, okay...12 are missing. Mostly from New England, since they are geographically cluttered), with AAA, AA, A, and Rookie level minors for each team, playing within the affliated teams' state.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #76
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjv3 View Post
Phillie, what statistical settings did you use to produce these outcomes? I'm relatively new to OOTP and I'm looking for info/tutorials/websites on how to manipulate the stats to produce certain outcomes. The one you just described is similar to what I would like to try and do with my league so any help or advice you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
To come up with the numbers I'm using,I went to BR,and wrote down the per team averages for H,2B,3B,HR,BB,HBP,K,SBA for every year between 1980 and 1989(except 1981) I then added them up and divided by 9(9 seasons). I then multiplied that number by 30(the number of teams in MLB now) I then had the league totals I wanted.All I had to do then was compare those numbers to the game's default league totals and come up with modifiers.Here's the exact modifiers I came up with.The game's default league totals are in the left column,the league totals I wanted are in parenthesees and finally the modifiers are in the right column.I'll also include the Player development modifiers that I'm using.

AB 166335
H 43991(42913)-.976
2b 8863(7407)-.836
3B 888(1083)-1.220
HR 5160(3997)-.775
BB 15207(15673)-1.031
HBP 1802(870)-.483
SO 30644(26267)-.857
SBA 5186(5517)-1.064

SP endurance modifier only 1.052(from Skydog)

Player Development(Ronco Inspired)
Batter and Pitcher aging 1.750
Batter and Pitcher Development .800
Talent Change Randomness 50

The player development numbers are in no way scientific.I was looking to get roughly 1.5 to 2 Hall Of Famers per draft class plus an appropriate amount of 300 game winners,3000 K achievers and 500 HR hitters.These settings passed the ol' eyeball test with flying colors.All of the above numbers were tested using Cubbyfan's amazing opening day roster set but I'm sure they'd work well with any 30 team/162 game setup.

Last edited by PhillieFever; 05-01-2009 at 11:41 AM.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #77
rjv3
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
To come up with the numbers I'm using,I went to BR,and wrote down the per team averages for H,2B,3B,HR,BB,HBP,K,SBA for every year between 1980 and 1989(except 1981) I then added them up and divided by 9(9 seasons). I then multiplied that number by 30(the number of teams in MLB now) I then had the league totals I wanted.All I had to do then was compare those numbers to the game's default league totals and come up with modifiers.Here's the exact modifiers I came up with.The game's default league totals are in the left column,the league totals I wanted are in parenthesees and finally the modifiers are in the right column.I'll also include the Player development modifiers that I'm using.

AB 166335
H 43991(42913)-.976
2b 8863(7407)-.836
3B 888(1083)-1.220
HR 5160(3997)-.775
BB 15207(15673)-1.031
HBP 1802(870)-.483
SO 30644(26267)-.857
SBA 5186(5517)-1.064

SP endurance modifier only 1.052(from Skydog)

Player Development
Batter and Pitcher aging 1.700
Batter and Pitcher Development .800
Talent Change Randomness 50

The player development numbers are in no way scientific.I was looking to get roughly 1.5 to 2 Hall Of Famers per draft class plus an appropriate amount of 300 game winners,3000 K achievers and 500 HR hitters.These settings passed the ol' eyeball test with flying colors.All of the above numbers were tested using Cubbyfan's amazing opening day roster set but I'm sure they'd work well with any 30 team/162 game setup.
Phillie... awesome. Thanks a ton for the response and for sharing. I'll be sure to give these settings a whirl as soon as I can. I'm actually still in the "design" phase of my fictional league so not quite sure when that will be but I'll be sure to share any results as soon as they are produced. Thanks again!
rjv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #78
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love real world play.. but this year I might stick with an MLB type setup but all fictional players. Someone usually creates one of these type QS.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #79
Double Deuce
Bat Boy

Hey all, I'm completely new to OOTP this year, have never played before. I was just curious why it seems there are so many more people that are into fictional leagues than real ones? Personally, I'm looking forward to taking over my real-life team, the Giants, and trying to turn around their losing ways. Is this the kind of thing that all of you have just done so many times that you've gotten bored and have begun finding your fun elsewhere, or is there something that makes this real-life option not as fun as it could be?

Just curious, because, like I said, I've never even played the game before, and was just surprised to see so many people that were uninterested in the "real" side of things. Thanks.
Double Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #80
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Deuce View Post
Hey all, I'm completely new to OOTP this year, have never played before. I was just curious why it seems there are so many more people that are into fictional leagues than real ones? Personally, I'm looking forward to taking over my real-life team, the Giants, and trying to turn around their losing ways. Is this the kind of thing that all of you have just done so many times that you've gotten bored and have begun finding your fun elsewhere, or is there something that makes this real-life option not as fun as it could be?

Just curious, because, like I said, I've never even played the game before, and was just surprised to see so many people that were uninterested in the "real" side of things. Thanks.
One of the things that really sets apart OOTP is its ability to be customized to do anything you want. That sets up well for fictional play as, well frankly, a custom league is fictional by definition. People could recreate Roger Maris hitting 61 homers using Strat-o-Matic cards in the 1970s and there are plenty of other products sharing the real MLB (both current and historical) market. No one could make a 16-team Western Canadian independent league using Strat-o-Matic cards and nor do other programs.

There are plenty of people that like each though and I think most people start by GMing their favorite MLB team first. I did. Your reaction is natural.

Anyway, welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Make sure you kiss your significant other on the way to download the game; it might be the last time you see her that week

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 05-05-2009 at 05:10 PM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote