Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
What do you fictional guys do about logos and graphics and unis and stuff? Do you just go without or hope you can find what you need to match up with the teams in your league?
That's not a problem at all. There are literally thousands of fictional logos, uniforms, etc already available for download.

Note: My thanks to the many modders out there who make these available.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #22
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
What do you fictional guys do about logos and graphics and unis and stuff? Do you just go without or hope you can find what you need to match up with the teams in your league?
I have a fictional setup starting in 1914 called the Federal Baseball Association with two eight team leagues. A Northern league (based on the Federal) and a Southern League with teams like the Birmingham Barons, New Orleans Pelicans, Dallas Drillers, plus three levels of minors. I got great help with deadball style unis from NoPepper, which I altered as needed. and learned how to make logos (thanks to the extraordinary patience of English Ray and DCHepler) using Gimp. The generosity of all the modders on these boards has really added to my enjoyment of OOTP, not just in the immersion level of game play but in the setting up of all aspects of the league (something I initially thought would be a bit of a chore). Thanks everybody.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Fictional all the way baby!

When 10 comes out I'll be dabbing in a little Fictional Historical.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #24
JackRules1
Minors (Triple A)

I'm pretty new to OOTP and I originally couldn't wait to play as the Yankees in the current season. I stunk so bad I started a couple fictional leagues and now I find my guys to be more real to me than the guys on tv. When X comes out I will probably drop those two leagues and start a new fictional league with more variations from standard.
JackRules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I make what I need
Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
Cardinal Rule
All Star Starter

I usually go historical, but I like fictional too. The hybrid leagues have been fictional leagues I get more immersed in - I've done real historical players with fictional teams, and I've done fictional players with real teams. I even did one where I did historical players and teams starting in 1990, but when the database ran out in 2005 (I did this awhile ago) I went to fictional players, and had an excel chart using random number generation for things like teams moving, new stadiums, nickname changes, etc.

When I've done fictional teams, I usually try to use the logos, jerseys, and caps that are readily available (peruse the mods section for loads of great graphics). In some cases I've made my own - that's a lot of fun but unfortunately I don't have as much time as I'd like to spend on making all the graphics.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #27
treedom
Hall Of Famer

I only play fictional.

My current league is set in England, has eight teams, one division, no playoffs. The foreigner percentage is set to 95%, and I've hacked the nations file so that most of the players come from Europe and surrounding areas (Middle East and Africa).
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
deadringer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
I make what I need
How difficult is it to make your own? Could it be taught to a non techie?
deadringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #29
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How difficult is it to make your own? Could it be taught to a non techie?
Believe it or not, if you have the right programs (i.e. Photoshop) and a basic understanding of how to use them (like I have, I'm no graphic desinger) creating logo sets or Uniforms is pretty easy. I could swear I saw some threads with tutorials on them in the mods section
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #30
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedom View Post
I only play fictional.

My current league is set in England, has eight teams, one division, no playoffs. The foreigner percentage is set to 95%, and I've hacked the nations file so that most of the players come from Europe and surrounding areas (Middle East and Africa).
Do you play with sound?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #31
deadringer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Believe it or not, if you have the right programs (i.e. Photoshop) and a basic understanding of how to use them (like I have, I'm no graphic desinger) creating logo sets or Uniforms is pretty easy. I could swear I saw some threads with tutorials on them in the mods section
Thanks, I actually I think I could find more than enough on your site alone. I appreciate the help. I've always wanted to look into fictional leagues but the lack of graphic pizazz always kept me away.
deadringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #32
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sil's site has enough quality logos and such to fix up a huge fictional league.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #33
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks, I actually I think I could find more than enough on your site alone. I appreciate the help. I've always wanted to look into fictional leagues but the lack of graphic pizazz always kept me away.
There's a number of excellent tutorial threads for logos and uniforms, give it a try.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #34
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo13 View Post
There's a number of excellent tutorial threads for logos and uniforms, give it a try.
I'm a huge advocate of customizing your data to suit yourself, but be aware that logos and uniforms may require more skill with graphics programs than you are willing to invest the time to learn. That being said, here's a link to a free graphics program that will do everything that you need to make logos and uniforms.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #35
AndrewG
Major Leagues

My first reaction when seeing title of thread was to cringe.. as recent locked threads had a similar theme of people who were faniatical on either side of this and a couple of bad apples didnt respect the other side... the good part is most of us are respectful and more towards the middle of the debate.

But really, its an interesting debate...

Personally, I enjoy fictional leagues. I have played Real world scenarios and will occasionally do so.. the fact is I like having the option to do both.

But I suppose as someone who mods nearly every single game for the PC I own despite the gendre.. well a fictional league wins the debate in my own preference.

I think the fact you can have people who support both sides of this topic playing the same game, then that game cant be too bad, your not segregating any part of the community.

Now really, one thing I do question is a couple of extrememly hard core guys who do historical sims so to the fine detail they want to change even the logos in approriate year. I have also in IMs had people tell me some guys only make historical trades as well... to whcih, if this is true I ask... "Why play the game if all you really want is to go through 'Total Baseball' and read what really happened on such and such a date"

Sure, I start a real world historical sim with the 1981 Expos, I see all these guys I know so well, but I then make deals and strategies I want. I also dont freak if Pete Rose gets a career ending injury in 1983 and never gets to break Cobbs record.... (Crying.. thats not real! thats not real!) becuase its a freaking game, there are variables and chance... its part of the fun.

There is only so much historical accuracy any game will have. If your playing a baseball sim, if you are playing a tactical war game, if your playing a gflight simulator.. int he end its a game, its algorytums and arrays... it cant be expected to be perfect.

Now I have also had the fortune of helping develop games, in graphics, and no matter what, youll have critics no matter what direction you go.

Also take into account that modders have a big direction where a game will go. If modding leans towards more historical lines, the community is favouring that, the developpers normally will lean towards appeasing towards the historical lines. Think marketing.. NOW----> This may not be the case with OOTP, Im not involved with developping this fine game, they are not NEAR desperate enough to have a hack like me involved!
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #36
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you play with sound?
Sound is for silly boys.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #37
AndrewG
Major Leagues

Quote:

There is an amazing amount of logos int he community available, one persons site, and I gorget who, has them even down to generic letter so if your team is say form Brimingham, you can find different stylized 'B's..

Although for me.. I make or rip off my own!
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #38
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbufkle View Post
There is an amazing amount of logos int he community available, one persons site, and I gorget who, has them even down to generic letter so if your team is say form Brimingham, you can find different stylized 'B's..
cephasjames

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ee-taking.html
Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #39
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

I enjoy fictional leagues and fictorical (fictional players/historical teams). Just can't get past the real players thing when they don't behave the way I expect. I pretty much make/modify any mod I need but can't find (schedules, jerseys, logos, etc.).
Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #40
ndc3
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I currently run 6 solo leagues, and the breakdown is as follows:

1 'Real' league (first season 2008), started using OOTP 9's MLB 2008 rosters
1 Fantasy league with fictional everything (first season 2007), started in OOTP 8
1 Historical league with real players (first season 1901), started in OOTP 9
2 Historical leagues with fictional players (first season 2007 for both), started in OOTP 8
1 Historical league that started with real players (first season 1999, currently 2025), started in High Heat 2001, imported into OOTP 6

I like me some variety. Of the above setups, I like certain things about each league, but my favorite is the last one on the list, since I've been playing that one for almost 10 years, every game, every pitch. I usually get through about 5-6 seasons per league per OOTP version.
ndc3 is offline   Reply With Quote