Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #41
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

The Coons have dropped from 16-12 to 24-29, so that has been going very well. I have three starting pitchers (Seaver, Syndergaard, Ojeda (who already replaced Hampton)) that can't keep their hole closed and have ERA's over six. This ship be - again - sinking.

The Rebs got a 3k achievement for doling out 12 hits in an inning. They even won that game, 14-13. They are, however, last in their Silver division at 23-31.

The Accountants sleep in first place today at 32-23, thanks to a ninth-inning comeback against the second-place Fire Frogs on the last day of the month. We are decent to good in most categories, but the team has historically been weak at hitting dingers and pitchers getting strikeouts. I am trying to find better cards for the rotation, at catcher and at short, but all the common lives I find rather eh, and the interesting historicals are more expensive than the 16k I currently hold...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #42
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Is the "struck out the side" PP achievement only meant to trigger for pitchers that get the save or all pitchers? I've seen this several times now that one of my pitchers struck out the side but it only triggers for relievers that got the save, no other pitchers. Is this by design or is this a bug?

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #43
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post
Is the "struck out the side" PP achievement only meant to trigger for pitchers that get the save or all pitchers? I've seen this several times now that one of my pitchers struck out the side but it only triggers for relievers that got the save, no other pitchers. Is this by design or is this a bug?
I thought it was for all pitchers, but not 100% sure.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #44
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Both my Diamond teams are above .500, and Bob's All-Stars are *raking* so far this season (not mentioning their record to curse it )*

Let's gooooooo

(*31-8 but shhhhhhhh)
I knew it! They went 6-7 the rest of the month to finish at 37-15

*hurriedly blows entire team up*

(edit: Bob added All-Star 2019 Greinke though decent movement and can't derate )

Last edited by PocketsAintFull; 07-17-2019 at 06:11 AM.
PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #45
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post
I am pretty sure it is designed to be that way. Otherwise high-stuff starting pitchers could rack up this achievement several times per game, f.e., which would certainly blow the entire economy to hell.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #46
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I am pretty sure it is designed to be that way. Otherwise high-stuff starting pitchers could rack up this achievement several times per game, f.e., which would certainly blow the entire economy to hell.
That's what I thought. Betances is my setup reliever and he struck out the side 3 times in May (no hit batters or whatever either, I checked the game logs) but he never got the "struck out the side" achievement.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #47
old timer
Hall Of Famer

I had been thinking about how consistent the Raccoons have been ever since I put the core group together and I realized it's starting to be boring because of this. It's gotten to the point where I hardly need to do anything and they'll win 115+ games. So I was thinking it would be nice if they didn't do too well so that would give me things to do to try to "fix" things.

Well, I got my wish. They are off to their worst start ever (well, since bronze at least), at 34-21 .618. Pitching is #1 in RA and many other categories too, but the offense is only 7th in R and luck hasn't been going our way either.

So what to do? Leave things alone and let them rebound and play up to their potential? Nah! Tinker and possibly make things even worse? Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

My 2 catchers have not been hitting this season (Campy was hitting .154 and Lava was hitting .204) so I decided to bring up 2 guys who've not been on the active roster in a long time. I made Burgess my starter vs RHP and Cooper vs LHP. Burgess can't field worth anything and can't throw runners out and who knows what he'll do to the staff ERA, but at least he can hit well (hopefully!). So will he cost more runs than he produces? We'll see!

I also moved 94 Ruth back to the active roster recently since none of the 3 I had tried in LF had done well so far. After 24 Gs, he's got a 1.006 OPS so he'll be staying for now. I also moved Robinson to RF since Cy Seymour forgot how to hit this year after having a great season last year. Everyone else I left alone, but almost everyone is having an off year. After 2 straight MVPs, Keeler is hitting just .286 (he hit .353 and .378 the previous 2 years), but I'm confident he'll turn things around.

Now I just need to find someone on the AH to add (looking for a hitter now), but the only candidates are over my current PP limit right now.

Last edited by old timer; 07-17-2019 at 06:59 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #48
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I've come to accept the fact that the Redlegs are always going to start the season slow, then warm up once the calendar hits mid-June. What I need to avoid is them finishing slow like they did last season. I'm convinced we'd be in Perfect now if we hadn't fallen into the Wild Card and had to face the No. 1 seed in the DS.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #49
humboldt1498
Minors (Triple A)

Does anyone know if there is any downside to running a 4 man starting pitching staff? It seems like a dumb strategy at first glance, but I don't see much difference in pitching performance starting at 100% versus 70%.
humboldt1498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #50
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I would be curious to hear people's opinions on this as well. If only because I am seriously considering setting up four-man rotations for my teams when I go on vacation and am AFK for two weeks.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
Old 07-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #51
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt1498 View Post
Does anyone know if there is any downside to running a 4 man starting pitching staff? It seems like a dumb strategy at first glance, but I don't see much difference in pitching performance starting at 100% versus 70%.
I haven't done a 4-man rotation enough to provide an authoritative answer (and haven't compared/recorded any data in a systematic way), but I have noticed that my starters only go about 80 pitches when they start every 4th day vs going 100+ pitches when starting every 5th day. Granted, you could probably tweak your manager hook slider to better suit this strategy, but I'm not sure how effective the starters would be deeper into the game.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #52
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
I’m running a four man now after seeing another manager use it with success. He said that he has a eight in the bullpen with two of them starting pitchers set up to be emergency starters.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #53
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Well, maybe a good catcher does make a difference. After 12 games with Burgess, the Raccoons have gone 4-8 and the pitching has dropped from #1 in most categories to #2 and #3. I have to wait 1 more game before I can put Lava and Campy back, but I'm definitely going to. In addition, Burgess hasn't hit worth anything.

On the bright side, Ruth has been great and has a 1.051 OPS at the moment. That's about it for the bright side.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #54
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Using a 4 man on my main in Silver right now. Needed to after I realized that sending Jim Perry out every 5th day was essentially gifting my opponent a win.

I also have my pitchers on strict pitch counts (90 pitches each). I do plan on adding another arm to serve as emergency starter/long relief, but have to wait for the points to come rolling in.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #55
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Always nice to start off the day of sims with a 10-game winning streak. My Frogs have yet to decide what they actually want to be in "2035." Good team? Bad team? Can't decide.

In fact, if it weren't for my ace reliever 89 Dennis Eckersley blowing a save opportunity in the previous game, we'd still be rolling on an 11-game winning streak and counting. I can't fault Eck for having an off day. He gave up back-to-back homers to 99 Babe Ruth and 100 Jimmie Foxx after striking out 100 Mike Trout. Then Eck walked 100 Barry Bonds before striking out 100 Rogers Hornsby looking. 100 Ted Williams came through with an RBI single after Bonds stole 2nd. Williams was subsequently picked off 1st base by a frustrated Eck to end the inning. But the damage had been done. 9-7 bad guys.

Even so, the Frogs looked like they'd shake off that top of the 9th as a minor inconvenience. The opponent's 100 Dennis Eckersley came on and found himself in a 1-out situation with the tying run at 2nd base before striking out my 77 Tony Gwynn and inducing my 80 Richie Ashburn to fly out. Oh well.

The Frogs are currently 38-28. Sitting 4.5 out in a 3-team race for the division. Currently in 2nd wild card position by a 1-game margin. Digging having 5 off days this month as it helps keep the pitching staff fresh and clean.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #56
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Late to the game this year. I bought it during the steam summer sale and then went on vacation so this week was the first week that I started working on my team. Still in Iron but this season I have the best record in the league. I spent time working on my lineup and am now looking at what I need pitching wise. I am sure I need plenty but I will need to piece it together.

This is the lineup getting it done for me. Leading the league in runs scored and batting average (and several other categories). They also rank 2nd in the league in Defensive Efficiency.
Attached Images
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #57
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Late to the game this year. I bought it during the steam summer sale and then went on vacation so this week was the first week that I started working on my team. Still in Iron but this season I have the best record in the league. I spent time working on my lineup and am now looking at what I need pitching wise. I am sure I need plenty but I will need to piece it together.

This is the lineup getting it done for me. Leading the league in runs scored and batting average (and several other categories). They also rank 2nd in the league in Defensive Efficiency.
Was wondering wha happened to you. Check out the missions.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #58
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I’m running a four man now after seeing another manager use it with success. He said that he has a eight in the bullpen with two of them starting pitchers set up to be emergency starters.
This was my plan, actually. Two emergency starters. Lord knows the Redlegs have enough middling mid-80s OVR starting pitchers who can fill that role...

SPTT team

Old 07-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #59
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Well that's a first. I just saw 71 OVR Al Simmons disappear right before my eyes, just as I was about to hit the button to BIN him myself.

SPTT team

Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #60
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

somehow a guy got into my league with an all irons team. needless to say he is getting his butt kicked and is 6-68 ROFL, kinda feel sorry for him
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote