Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Names of newly created players

Last week I had found a way to set names of newly created players in an existing league to be of British origin. But now I can't remember how I did it. Does anyone know?
Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Last week I had found a way to set names of newly created players in an existing league to be of British origin. But now I can't remember how I did it. Does anyone know?
Can you be a little more specific?

Here's how names work in OOTP:

Each league within your saved game has settings for what nationalities players will be when they are generated by the game. You can find this by going to Game >> Game Settings >> League Settings >> Players. It looks like this:

So when a new player is created in that league, the game creates a name. (This could be when new draftees are created, or if you manually create fictional players, when a new scout discovery occurs, etc.)

The game first chooses a nationality based on the settings above (note that there are different settings for "default players" and for amateur draftees; for example most amateur draftees in MLB will be American. But the overall population of players in MLB is much more varied.). It then looks in a file called world_default.xml, which has settings that say which ethnicities exist in that country, at what frequency. Many countries (like Japan) have only one ethnicity, but some (like the US) have more. [Yes, I know Japan has more than one ethnicity in real life. For OOTP, it's just one.] So it then randomly picks an ethnicity for the new player. Then it randomly generates a name for a player of that ethnicity using the values found in names.txt (surnames) and first_names.txt (given names).

Sounds easy, right? Haha.

But the bottom line is, you can definitely do a lot of tweaking with how names work in OOTP, even after the league has already been created.

If you can tell me very specifically what you hope to accomplish, I suspect we can get you there!

Last edited by battists; 09-02-2018 at 02:25 PM.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Can you be a little more specific?

Here's how names work in OOTP:...

If you can tell me very specifically what you hope to accomplish, I suspect we can get you there!
Thanks so much, that is very helpful.

I created a fictional league way back in OOTP11 or 12 and have now imported it up to my latest version, 18. There are only two nations in the league, both fictional, and when I created it I used a fictional (fantasy) name set and edited the world_default.xml. Now, I no longer like that name set. I want to keep the current players, but have newly created players be named based on British names.

When I follow your steps above, only the two fictional nations appear. Please note that I no longer have the world_default.xml that was used at league creation (I thought the .xml was only used at that point, not later).

So I'm not sure if that makes sense, but basically I want to start using British names going forward That nationality does not exist in this game.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Thanks so much, that is very helpful.

I created a fictional league way back in OOTP11 or 12 and have now imported it up to my latest version, 18. There are only two nations in the league, both fictional, and when I created it I used a fictional (fantasy) name set and edited the world_default.xml. Now, I no longer like that name set. I want to keep the current players, but have newly created players be named based on British names.

When I follow your steps above, only the two fictional nations appear. Please note that I no longer have the world_default.xml that was used at league creation (I thought the .xml was only used at that point, not later).

So I'm not sure if that makes sense, but basically I want to start using British names going forward That nationality does not exist in this game.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hmm. That's an interesting conundrum.

Well, one option would be to replace the names in the existing two sets with your British names, and re-import. That would only work if you never want to generate non-British names again. But if that's your goal, that should work.

Another option would be to add a new nation in-game. Go to Game >> Explore World >> select any nation >> Nation Editor.

In the top right there should be an option to add a new Nation. It will be given a Nation ID automatically, like 52.

Modify your names.txt file and first_names.txt files to include names for that country, then re-import. Again, this will overwrite your existing names, so be sure you want to do this. If you still have the .txt files you used way back in the day, you could start from those...

I haven't tried this, but it SHOULD work.

Edit: Wait, this won't quite work, hold on.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

OK so, this is the key for now:

Well, one option would be to replace the names in the existing two sets with your British names, and re-import. That would only work if you never want to generate non-British names again. But if that's your goal, that should work.

If you always and forever want all future names to come up all Benedict Cumberbatch, then this should work fine for you.

Let me know if that's the case, and we'll go from there.

Regardless of what you end up doing, you should ABSOLUTELY make a full backup of your league and set it aside before tackling this.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
OK so, this is the key for now:

If you always and forever want all future names to come up all Benedict Cumberbatch, then this should work fine for you.

Let me know if that's the case, and we'll go from there.

Regardless of what you end up doing, you should ABSOLUTELY make a full backup of your league and set it aside before tackling this.
Yes, I do have a full backup on a separate hard drive. I will move forward with trying it this way, and set Benedict Cumberbatch to high frequency . Thanks so much.

Next problem -- finding a British name set. The only ones I can find are first names only.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

very british, tippecanoe
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote