Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1901 Historical Quick Start Test League for Download

Very shortly thanks to Jeremy Weimer agreeing to host it there will be a 1901 historical quick start for anyone interested to try out.

My thinking was we could use this thread as kind of a basic walk-through for anyone new to historical simming and at the same time bounce ideas off of each other for league settings and other tweaks.

This file is by no means perfect but I think it is a nice little league to get us started. What I have done is import the 1901 major leagues using Lahman 5.3. In addition I added one minor league club (AAA level) for each team. I filled the minors with poor quality fictional players to ensure we had enough to stock each team. I expect the fictional players to have no bearing whatsoever on this league and 5-7 seasons in there will be more than enough real players floating around the league to stock the minor league team as well as our major league club.

Why did I choose to add the minors? No real reason other than I like to see the marginal major leaguers put up some stats of their own. I expect that a format like this is what I will use when I get down to business with my main league so I figured this was the best way to test.

I am using the Lahman DB right now but my plan for all of my future leagues will be to use the new Arod/Garlon database once it is released.

For anyone unsure how to get the file to work in your game here are some basic instructions.

After downloading the file you need to unzip it. I have put the right path in there so that if you installed the game to it's default directory it will be very easy to install.

Open winzip and make sure the option Use Folder names has a check mark. Next unzip it to your C drive (or if different the drive you are using) and the files will be extracted to your OOTP2006/data/quickstart folder.

Now open OOTP2006 and select load quickstart game. Select the Tiger Fan quickstart and enter a name for your new league.

Once you create the game you can edit the manager name (I left it at the default Joe Nobody) and take control of a team if you like or just remain in commissioner mode.

The game should be all set for you to start simming.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 06-02-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Here is the link to the file

http://www.thelifetvshow.com/ootp/TF...Quickstart.zip

I'll start by discussing some of the things I did in the setup.

First I imported the 1901 season using Lahman.

Next I addeded a 16 team AAA minor league.

From the Create Menu I turned injuries off and also lowered the financial co-efficient number to .003. Nothing scientific with that choice. It just seemed to give me acceptable financial numbers.

From the league setup menu I renamed all of my minor league teams and also just for simplicity down the road added an (N) for National League to any NL teams that will have a city conflict with the AL.

From the Rules tab I changed my active roster to 22 players, set the expanded roster size to 30 and the Secondary(40-man roster) to 50. Because of a glitch you have to enable these expanded rosters right now but there will be a fix in the first patch.

I set the game to automatically import historical rookies and disabled the draft so they would be assigned to their real life team. In doing this you have to be sure to follow along with history and change the historic ID name whenever a club moves.

I left financials on but disabled free agency because it did not belong in a 1901 replay. It can be turned on again whenever the user chooses.

From the OPTIONS screen I renamed the post season event to the World Series (even though there was no WS in 1901). I also clicked on the other functions button and imported the real 1901 schedule.

From strategy and equiv. tab I made a few changes as you can see when you look at the file. The big one is toning Stolen Bases down to very rarely. Because of the lack of Caught stealing data in the Lahman DB steal numbers would be outrageous if you left it at normal. The Arod/Garlon DB will address this issue I believe.

I changed the player creation modifiers to .100 across the board. This was done so the fictional players imported to fill the minors will all be terrible. Ignore the fact that it is set differently now as we will not use it again. It has changed because of another minor bug I discovered and reported to Markus.

For the AAA league, I disabled the DH and imported a new schedule with a start date after the major leagues.

Those were the changes I made. Any questions on the reasoning behind any of them feel free to ask.

We are now ready to sim 1901.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

If you play out 1901 you should get somewhat decent stats but 1902 will be even more accurate at least for the majors. For the minor leagues some major tweaks will be needed because the pitching is far too good in comparison to the terrible fictional hitters. I will post what I did tomorrow. The changes to the minors actually should be made before you sim 1901 but it's late and I forgot before posting the file.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
jf7623
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Thanks for Tiger Fan for the quickstart. I will use this once I download the game. We appreciate your hard work for us
jf7623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:00 AM   #6
rdklein
All Star Reserve

This is very cool... thanks for putting this together and sharing tiger/jeremy.

I have a question: How did you handle the stadiums? Or did you just create a generic 1.000 base stadium for all teams?

I never worried about this in 6.5 because there was so much other stuff that needed to be figured out when running a historical league (i.e. modifiers/era calculators ect.) - so I don't really have a lot of knowledge about it to begin with, nor could I find anything in threads/manuals.

I figured since 2006 took care of a lot of the historical stuff now, I would try to incorporate stadiums, but I cant figure it out. I remember in 6.5, it was pretty easy to add stadiums via those 2 files (cant remember the names right now - park.dat? parkinfo.dat or something?) Anyway, I don't see those files anywhere in this version... guess they are coded into the main program?

Anyway, new historical leagues starting in 1901 come with the correct 16 teams' stadium. When a team moves, changes stadiums, or the league expands - do I have to manually create the new stadium for that team? Or are these stadiums somewhere in the program - where I am unable to find them?
rdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

I think its in parks.dat. But its much more difficult to add stadiums. You either have to create a team and make the stadium and then delete the team or change an existing stadium. Not as easy as 6.5
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #8
rdklein
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
I think its in parks.dat. But its much more difficult to add stadiums. You either have to create a team and make the stadium and then delete the team or change an existing stadium. Not as easy as 6.5
yuk.

I guess it's safe to assume that I can't copy 6.5 park files over without my computer punching me in the neck.

Generic stadiums it is.

thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure someone will come up with a work around eventually if it's too complicated to do it in-game. I haven't really checked into this matter much as the leagues I've been running I just stuck with the default stadiums for each team. This is something Steve and I can try to work on and figure out if he's up for it, or we can wait until someone else figures it out.

I'm all for doing whatever I can with this project to make a great 1901 quickstart file and make it easy for everyone to get going right away. I love historical leagues and I want others to have the chance to enjoy them as much as I do without having to fret over every little thing and worry about whether they're doing stuff right. Which is why I approached Steve about helping out and making the initial build of this quickstart.

It will only get bigger and better from here. Especially with your guys' input and cooperation.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #10
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

Thanks TF, this will be great!!!

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
redsox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
billethius
All Star Reserve

This is great. I had it sim the 1901 season and the results look alright. Now that I'm about to start 1902, I want to make that I stay current with team name changes, abbreviation changes, etc... Does anyone know of a document or something similar somewhere that lists the changes that need to be made by year?
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethius
This is great. I had it sim the 1901 season and the results look alright. Now that I'm about to start 1902, I want to make that I stay current with team name changes, abbreviation changes, etc... Does anyone know of a document or something similar somewhere that lists the changes that need to be made by year?

http://www.brucem.net/BB_Chrono.htm

It lists all of the changes but I do not believe it includes the abbreviations that you must change in the team menus.

The early changes are

prior to 1902 MLA changed to SLA
prior to 1903 BLA changed to NYA

That will keep you going until the 1950's when the Braves move to Milwaukee.

Remember if you are importing rookies each year you must make the above changes in the team pages. Go to the team your are changing's home page and then select Options and Ballparks. You will see a line labeled "Historical Team ID". That is what you need to change from MLA to SLA prior to 1902 for the Browns to get their real rookies. Remember to hit enter after making the change so it will take.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
rdklein
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethius
I always use this one:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ight=bb_chrono
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
rdklein
All Star Reserve

hehe... ya beat me to it.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Changes I Made Prior To 1902

With that league file I made the following moves at the end of 1901

Went to the Milwaukee Brewers team page and changed their name to the St Louis Browns and the historical ID to SLA.

Went to league setup and imported the real 1902 schedule for the major leagues.

Went to the League setup for the AAA league and made the following changes to Strategy & Equivalencies:

raised modifier for Hits in League total section from 1.000 to 1.200
raised modifier for BB in league total section from 1.000 to 1.200

Remember those changes are to be made for the AAA league only.

Since I do not have a large number of players yet I decided to leave injuries turned off for at least one more season.

That's it. Now I am ready to sim out 1902.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #16
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Changes prior to 1903

I moved the Baltimore Orioles to New York to become the Highlanders in the exact same manner as the Milwaukee to St Louis shift last season. Remember to rename the Highlanders historical Team ID to NYA and hit enter after changing each line in the team options and ballpark screen.

You could also change the ballpark at the same time if you so desired. I am not doing it in this sim.

Since Baltimore has a long history of minor league baseball I decide to move the Norfolk Blues franchise to Maryland and rename them the Baltimore Orioles. Certainly not something that is necessary but just a matter of personal preference.

I now have a fair number of minor league players for each team so I turn on injuries but put them at Very Low for injuries and Low for position player tiring. This is changed in the league setup menu.

For my league the AAA batting averages are still far too low so I am bumping the modifier for hits from 1.200 (changed it to that last season) to 1.400. Walks are also a little low so I raise them to 1.300. I am not looking for perfect minor league stats so I am not overly concerned with this but I will make small changes when I see a big issue.

My major league stats are quite acceptable and the game is automatically adjusting my modifiers so no changes needed there.

Last thing I do is import the 1903 schedule. You could also change the World series to a best of 9 for this season since it was that in real life. I do not bother in this sim.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
jf7623
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
TF, When you say you import the real schedule, where are you getting your schedule from. I know I have seen threads about schedules, but I just want to be clear on what you are doing. By the way thanks for the year by year updates you are doing. It is greatly appreciated
jf7623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #18
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

This is a great idea - thanks Tiger and Jeremy. I will definitely be using this thread and the quickstart.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Changes Prior to 1904

The big change here is to switch the major league schedule length from 140 games to 154 and then import the 1904 schedule.

I also decided Milwaukee needs baseball now that their major league club fled to St Louis so I move the Des Moines Nine AAA franchise to Milwaukee and rename it the Breweres.

Minor league stats are acceptable so no changes to the modifiers. However, stolen bases are a little low in the majors so I raise it from very rarely to rarely. SB also appear low in the minors so I do make a change to raise them from normal to often.

For the major league I decide to add one more player to the MLB roster limit raising it to 23. I also lower the pitchers endurance to normal as each club will now have an extra hurler on the roster.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf7623
TF, When you say you import the real schedule, where are you getting your schedule from. I know I have seen threads about schedules, but I just want to be clear on what you are doing. By the way thanks for the year by year updates you are doing. It is greatly appreciated
Schedule is coming from within the game. Go to league setup for your major league. There is a tab called other functions. Select it and one of the options is edit schedule. On the edit schedule screen there is a choice to import schedule. Point the game to the schedule folder with your OOTP 2006 game and you will have a long list of schedules. They are alphabetically. About halfway down the list is one called Major_American

The next one on the list is Major_League. The end of it is cut off until you click on it but it is 1901. Count down 3 more and you will have 1904.

Hope that makes sense. I am sure it is explained better in the game guide if you need it.

Just make sure your league is setup for balanced schedule and the right number of games or it will not import. (ie you have to be set to 140 games to import the 1903 schedule and 154 to get the 1904 schedule to import.)

If you want the best accuracy for schedule dates (ie season ending on a Sunday) disable the all-star game for pre-1933 leagues since there was no allstar break or game at that time.