Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Announcing OOTP 21, Pre-Order Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 06-03-2004, 10:29 AM   #21
scprideandms
All Star Starter

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Looks like minors FA 1988

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/pages/?id=115

If you keep on doing what you've always done you'll keep on gitting what you've always gotten.
scprideandms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:49 AM   #22
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by captaincarl
Also, if there are any openings in this, I would like to participate.
If you mean when the league goes live, I will be asking for volunteer owners very soon. It'll be announced in the Time Warp thread.

If you mean having an ancestor in the league, you can sign up in this linked thread anytime.

Also, I will work Curt Flood's saga, as well as Messersmith & McNally, into TWB's history. They, like the Black Sox, will just be represented by some of our ficticious players.

Quote:
Originally posted by scprideandms
Looks like minors FA 1988

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/pages/?id=115
Thanks... that's a godsend. It appears in the article that they began working on this in 1983. I'd still like to find a concrete date, but if I can't, I'll probably go with '83.
Matt from TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #23
scprideandms
All Star Starter

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I emailed them will let you know

If you keep on doing what you've always done you'll keep on gitting what you've always gotten.
scprideandms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:08 AM   #24
tward13
All Star Starter

Thanked 384x in 209 posts
A question for Matt...

How will you handle new ancestors vs. GMs who are related to them?

Will they be added to the draft and everyone will have the opportunity to get them?

Will everyone get the free chance at having themselves whenever we get to that year?

Since you control their initial set-up it will be fair for everyone, however other than ensuring that everyone can have themselves any additional consideration could get unbalanced because some people have rather extended families.

Just something I was wondering about.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:32 AM   #25
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tward13
A question for Matt...

How will you handle new ancestors vs. GMs who are related to them?

Will they be added to the draft and everyone will have the opportunity to get them?

Will everyone get the free chance at having themselves whenever we get to that year?

Since you control their initial set-up it will be fair for everyone, however other than ensuring that everyone can have themselves any additional consideration could get unbalanced because some people have rather extended families.

Just something I was wondering about.
Once 1946 rolls around & we go live, a few things may change. Here's how it should be set up:

1) Ancestors enter the ammy pool & are free to be drafted by anyone.

2) Anyone, including GM's, can sign themselves up & they will be added to the league when they turn 18.

3) I think I posted this somewhere, perhaps in the ancestor signup post, but beginning in '46 ancestors will be added in the year they turn 18 ONLY if they are 18 before Oct. 1. Otherwise, they'll be added the following year.

4) As always, I will create all ancerstors & the person who signs them up only has a say over the info that's available in the signup thread (such as 2 areas of specialty). I will use the best player at one of their positions to create them.

One other thing: ancestors are not guaranteed to be 5-star prospects. I pick the best available ammy at any of their positions to edit. Creation of ancestors, especially in years where a lot of them are added, will not cause an overbalance in prospects, where there are too many 5-star guys and then a big drop to 3-star guys. The draft will still remain balanced with a few 4.5-5 stars, a few more 3.5-4 stars then many more at the 3-star level. Ancestors are added in the order they were signed up. So, ancestors signed up first get preference but are not necessarily guaranteed to be better prospects.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #26
qusip
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Sounds Great

Just wanted to drop a line and say that everything sound really well thought out and I can't really add anything more to the discussion.

I am happy that we are trying to recreate history as much as possible. It sounds like fun!
Old 06-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #27
jdw
All Star Starter

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Team Histories

I seem to recall that Matt wanted we owners to do team histories at some point. For reference and ideas, I thought I would toss up how the NBA team webpages do history sections.

All of them have a Through The Years type of feature. Some of them literally have a few paragraphs on *every* year, while others will "cluster" some of the older seasons or "Eras" together for a summary. I think Matt may be looking for us to do some kind of "Through The Years" feature, so these may be helpful as examples.

Some of the pages can be very extensive on other things they do, while some are less so. Many have a "retired numbers" section, or Hall of Famers, or Award Winners. Some have Great Games, or special features on memorable parts of their history. Some of that may be over the top to do a boatload of it (especially then asking Matt to put it on the web). But Award winners, HOFers, retired numbers... that might be cool.

Anyway, here are some examples:

The Celtics:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/History_index.html

The Celts, with the Lakers, have the richest history in the NBA. They also thrive on banging the drum about their history, so it's no surprise that they have a very extensive section.

Here's the Lakers:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/history/la...story_new.html

They have a long Though The Years section. The earlier seasons tend to be grouped together, with many of the seasons after 1980 getting their own full section. However, the rest of the History section for the Lakers pretty much blows. The "retired numbers" section does give nice quick mini-bios on the Lakers HOFers, though it ignores the ones from the dynasty in Minnesota in the 50s before they moved to LA.

Here are two other teams, the Knicks with some legendary championship history back in the early 1970s and the Pacers who've been "good" for a long time but really don't have the history that they rest of these teams do:

http://www.nba.com/knicks/history/ne...s_history.html

http://www.nba.com/pacers/history/00401079.html

John
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:15 PM   #28
jdw
All Star Starter

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Almanacs

Matt - could you add a link on the left frame under the "Add Your Ancestor" link on the TWB Home Page to an Almanacs Index?

I know you linked to them down the page here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...&pagenumber=83

But (i) it would be easier to find on the TWB Home Page, and (ii) additional seasons can get added in as you generate the almanacs suchs as 1936-37.

Also, perhaps a Retired Players Index? We can link to players off the Career Leader Board, but sometimes a player might fall under the radar of that. Especially as we go along. Take the Pitching leaderboard - Top 25 in wins is already down 247, and we have six active players with 206+ wins.

Thanks~!

John
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #29
BPS
All Star Reserve

Thanked 155x in 65 posts
This is a test.

March 1, 1938

Headlines:
German Annexation of Austria!
Czechoslovak Prepares for "Fight to The Death" If Germany Attacks

Last edited by BPS; 06-26-2004 at 07:14 PM.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:44 PM   #30
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS

March 1, 1938

Headlines:
German Annexation of Austria!
Czechoslovak Prepares for "Fight to The Death" If Germany Attacks
Very, very cool! This is very exciting! I had been trying to figure out just how to introduce real history into the thread...
Old 07-03-2004, 12:45 AM   #31
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13
Wondering about the war years. Yes players will leave. How about those who stay, and the replacements?

Will there be any adjustment of ratings to reflect the disparity in talent? You'll have some mid-30s who will hang around and maybe get a boost by playing less talented opponents. You'll get some prime ages players who should dominate because of the lessened competition. Then there will be those replacement players who certainly won't be up to the normal talent levels.
Let's use this thread to discuss miscellaneous TWB stuff that relates more to the running of the league than the actual players, teams & stats. First for some initial thoughts on WWII:

Some young players like Stan Musial did not serve during this time, so not all great players will go. However, many will. As far as ancestors go, I suppose I should ask for volunteers when the time comes, otherwise I probably won't have them serve. I will split them up over time & have them return over time. I have a basic timeline from reading up on it on when players started leaving, when most had already gone & when they began to return.

As for the players who'll be in the league at the time, I had considered slowing down the aging process to help to elderly remain in the league a while longer. And I suppose I should make most of the newer rookies along the same lines of the quality players coming into the league IRL at that time. Lately I've been running a league with real players just to import the rookies each year & compare them. I'll do that for this timeframe especially.

Also, feel free to use this thread for suggestions on any issues from real life baseball that we should cover. For example, I'm definitely going to include integration, but also issues like the Mexican League trying to take American players in the late 40's.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:22 AM   #32
tward13
All Star Starter

I guess slowing the aging process is kind of what I had in mind. Guys who were quality players and who would have tailed off come age 37-38 might have more success against the lesser talent that remained in the league.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #33
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 427x in 279 posts
1939 - JAN
Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert dies at 71

APR
First Dodgers radio broadcast ...done by Red Barber

May
Was their a career ending injury last year of a young guy? maybe the year before?

If so P Monty Stratton of the White Sox in Nov 1938 while hunting rabbits had his pistol accidently discharge into his right knee, which had to be amputated

IN may of 1939 White Sox and Cubs play a benefit for him raising 28,000

Stratton's story was later made into a movie with Jimmy Stewart and June Alyson...in 1949

May 2nd - After carrying the scorecard to the umpire, Sal Rossi benches himself for the good of the team

Umpire Bill Klem celebrates his 35th anniversary

Larry MacPhail becomes VP of The Dodgers...and starts to use Yellow baseballs

Wednesday, May 17th
IN THE NEWS: The first baseball game ever televised, Princeton against Columbia at Baker Field, Columbia's home field, is seen by a handful of viewers via W2XBS in New York City. Bill Stern announces, as Princeton wins 2–1 in 10 innings. The 2nd game of the doubleheader is not televised. Reviewing the game the next day, the New York Times sniffs, "it is difficult to see how this sort of thing can catch the public fancy."

Tuesday, May 30th
IN THE NEWS: In an attempt to spruce up their appearance, National League umpires wear white gabardine trousers with blue jackets.

Monday, June 12th
IN THE NEWS: The greatest gathering of members and future inductees of the Baseball Hall of Fame assembles in Cooperstown, NY, for the dedication of the museum. A six-inning game at Doubleday Field presents lineups studded with players who will be elected in the future, as Babe Ruth, (Kid Vancini) Ty Cobb,(Will Miller) Honus Wagner, (Woody Woodson) Walter Johnson, (Andrew Murphy) Grover Alexander,(Will Haggan) Nap Lajoie, (Tito Nunez) George Sisler,(Harry Cohan) Eddie Collins,(Kid Fite) Tris Speaker, (Whiskey Allen) Cy Young,(Tim Lopresto) and Connie Mack (Dark Horse Allen) accept their plaques.

Wednesday, June 21st
IN THE NEWS: The New York Yankees announce Lou Gehrig's (Sal Rossi's) retirement, based on the report that he has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The 36-year-old star will remain with the team as captain.

Tuesday, July 4th
IN THE NEWS: A tearful Sal Rossi tells 61,808 fans at Shibe Park, "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," Rossi's uniform #11 is retired, the first major-league player so honored.

Saturday, July 15th
IN THE NEWS: A disputed call on a fly ball down the LF foul line at the Polo Grounds touches off a melee in which the Giants Billy Jurges and umpire George Magerkurth spit at each other. Both will be fined $150 and suspended for 10 days. NL President Ford Frick announces that 2-foot screens are to be installed inside all foul poles to prevent future arguments. The Al eventually also adopts the rule. The Giants lose 8-4 to the Reds and will add another eight in a row to take them out of contention

Saturday, July 22nd
IN THE NEWS: A Boston Bees fan, outraged when Al Lopez drops a pop foul, his second and the team's seventh of the game, jumps from the stands to punch the Boston catcher.

Sunday, July 23rd
IN THE NEWS: The Dodgers use the new yellow-colored baseball again, but the Cardinals see it better in a 12-0 win.

Monday, July 31st
IN THE NEWS: The Cardinals, partial to MacPhail's yellow-dyed baseballs, use them at Sportsman's Park to beat the Dodgers 5-2

Thursday, August 3rd
IN THE NEWS: Veteran C Joe Sprinz of the San Francisco Seals (PCL) tries to break the altitude record for a catch as a stunt at the Treasure Island Exhibition. A ball is dropped 800 feet from a blimp and hits him in the face. He suffers a compound fracture of the jaw and loses several teeth. Tom Turley of Washington holds the record by catching a ball from the Washington Monument

Saturday, August 26th
IN THE NEWS: The first major-league baseball game is telecast from Ebbets Field as the Reds play the Dodgers in a doubleheader. Red Barber broadcasts the game over W2XBS. The Dodgers take the first game 6-2, and the Reds take the second 5-1

Monday, August 28th
IN THE NEWS: Cleveland OF Jeff Heath punches a taunting fan leaning over the railing, but the umpires miss the incident and he goes unpunished.

P Victor Starfin wins his 42nd game in a 96-game season, leading the Yomiuri Giants to the pennant, and setting a post-1900 world record for season victories that will be equaled (by Kazuhisa Inao in 1961) but never broken. Starfin, the 6'4" son of Russian immigrants, was exempt from the military call-up of able-bodied Japanese. From 1936-55 he won 303 games, the first in Japanese baseball to top the 300 mark. Except for Sadaharu Oh, he is the only non-Japanese player in the Japanese baseball Hall of Fame.

Sunday, November 19th
IN THE NEWS: The National Professional Indoor Baseball League, headed by league president Tris Speaker, begins play. The league has 10 clubs, one in each then major-league city except Washington. Alas, it disappears within a month.
Tuesday, November 28th
IN THE NEWS: Ken Keltner is turned down in Cleveland for off-season unemployment benefits.
Wednesday, November 29th
IN THE NEWS: Judge Landis fines Brooklyn, Detroit, and the St. Louis farm club, Columbus, for manipulating player contracts. He frees seven farm hands.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #34
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton
Was their a career ending injury last year of a young guy? maybe the year before?
I'll have to check.

Quote:
A tearful Sal Rossi tells 61,808 fans at Shibe Park, "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," Rossi's uniform #11 is retired, the first major-league player so honored.
Will anyone be able to understand him?

Quote:
Except for Sadaharu Oh, he is the only non-Japanese player in the Japanese baseball Hall of Fame.
Where in the heck was Oh from?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:34 PM   #35
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 427x in 279 posts
lol

Maybe Sal will be more like "I thinka myselfa the mosta luckiest man onda faca da Earth!"

OH...had a Chinese father I believe...Oh isn't a coomon Japenese surname...sounds Chinese to me
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #36
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Here's the new TWB website. It's not completely finished, but it's about 80-90% up and running. I'm still trying to learn php-nuke on the fly, so bear with me. Feel free to create a user account if you want. You'll notice there's a forums link on the left (the one at the top doesn't work because it's missing a 's' after the work forum in the link). I'm not certain, but I think if you sign up for the main site, it works for the forums too. We'll see.

Anyway, if you go to your account on the forums, you can select the avatar of your team. All 16 logos are there. The MLB logo is for me.

Any comments or suggestions would be great. We'll use the new forums for trades, waivers, etc. But I'm not sure how we'll counter using them with these ootp boards as far as continuing to tell the league's story. Should we keep that up here on the ootp boards? Should I still post monthly digests, etc?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:52 PM   #37
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton
lol

Maybe Sal will be more like "I thinka myselfa the mosta luckiest man onda faca da Earth!"

OH...had a Chinese father I believe...Oh isn't a coomon Japenese surname...sounds Chinese to me
I thought that on the main thread it was Cookie Parrish who gave the speech?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #38
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
It was... Carlton posted this before I made my decision.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #39
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt from TN
FYI: Clemente was signed as an amateur free agent by the Dodgers & then picked in the Rule V Draft by Pittsburgh.
New question: the amateur draft was only for US-born players, and eventually Canadians. Pretty soon, we'll see a small influx of latino players, which of course will continue to grow and grow until it reaches the commanding level of today. And of course, eventually there will be Asian-born players.

Soon, though, will be the days when players like Roberto Clemente joined the league. As I posted earlier in this thread, latino players have always been scouted and signed by teams as opposed to going through a draft. Does anyone know more about this? For example, is it just whoever finds a guy and signs him gets him?

If so, how would you prefer I handle this such stuff in TWB? I can either add them to the ammy draft like all other players. Or I can add them to the free agent pool and have teams email me cash bids for them (or something like that), with the winner signing him. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by Matt from TN; 07-12-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #40
metsgeek
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 8x in 7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt from TN
Or I can add them to the free agent pool and have teams email me cash bids for them (or something like that), with the winner signing him. Ay other suggestions are welcomed.
I like this idea, but there should be a minimum/maximum amount of years allowed in the offer. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Min 3/Max 7?

109 seasons and still running strong!!!
metsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote