Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #21
discodude5
Major Leagues

Thanked 97x in 52 posts
Where's the option to change the hotdog price?

With everything that's in the game that's not needed I can't believe they left out the most important part....lol

I think to really enjoy this game you need to have your own reallife coaching staff to help you.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #22
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Thanked 122x in 48 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude5
Where's the option to change the hotdog price?
You need to "enable vendors" to activate this option. Read the manual.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #23
Beach23BoyP
Major Leagues

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMahler
I'm sick and tired of reading this generic reponse as hitting F1 denies us of the use of specific hitting and defensive strategies. Simply to hold a runner on is an endless pain since you have to read each pitch which is as exciting as watching paint dry in a humid room.

I switched back to 6.5 and it is like returning to the comfort of your own home after a terrible vacation.
My 16 year old 6.5 league is still alive and kicking.
Beach23BoyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,473x in 829 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Mogul had some bugs on release but now its basically bug free as far as I can tell.

Edit: Mogul still has one bug that annoys me it lets you put injured pitchers in as relief pitchers so I just have to make a house rule that Im not allowed to do that.
Bug free? Wow, must have come a long way since 2006 and that buggy mess.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #25
D Love
All Star Reserve

Thanked 8x in 3 posts
I have been wondering this for a long time. In real life, you could conceivably imagine that a player focuses in or feeds off the pressure of being 0-2 and so the stat means something. But in a computer game, the stat is window dressing unless there is a rating related to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22
I am all for the NEW stats in 2006 except at this point I am wondering, what exactly do they mean? Does a batters average on 0-2 mean anything, is there any rating that make them hit better on 0-2 counts? Its great that they are there but I just dont see how they are going to matter if there are no ratings that make them better in certain situations. Right now I am just wondering if they are there for dressing when all it is doing is slowing many aspects of the game up.
D Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:20 AM   #26
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Thanked 131x in 78 posts
Quote:
I switched back to 6.5 and it is like returning to the comfort of your own home after a terrible vacation.
I agree... Nothing against Markus or the game, but I realized, after many hours of setting this and doing that, that the game wasnt for me. Maybe for you, and I hope so...since I support Markus. But I am not playing anymore or at least for a while.
LeiterFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:51 AM   #27
Claymore
All Star Reserve

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiterFanatic
I agree... Nothing against Markus or the game, but I realized, after many hours of setting this and doing that, that the game wasnt for me. Maybe for you, and I hope so...since I support Markus. But I am not playing anymore or at least for a while.
I appreciate the fact that they gave a demo of the game to try. I'm going to hold off too. I'd like to see what direction the next few patches take.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #28
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 292x in 127 posts
Quote:
I'm sick and tired of reading this generic reponse as hitting F1 denies us of the use of specific hitting and defensive strategies. Simply to hold a runner on is an endless pain since you have to read each pitch which is as exciting as watching paint dry in a humid room.
Amen - I posted this before and I will reinterate here -

We get it - some people like the F1/pitch by pitch hybrid solution - we understand it completely, we understand that you like it.

What they fail to understand is there are many of us who don't like it, and would prefer a "true" one-pitch mode with full strategic modes (just like it has been for the entire series)

Stop telling us the way you play the game is the "right" way and that we just don't understand how to do it.
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #29
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 26x in 20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22
Anyway, the first thing that was always talked about was how much faster 2006 was going to be over 6.5. This is true in some areas but more the most part I can get a lot more accomplished in the same time playing 6.5. 2006 may sim faster, however the other areas right now just frustrate me, game play,(1 game takes an hour in 2006 while 6.5 takes appx 10 minutes) making changes(I click on a player in 6.5 I get an immediate player screen up, a couple more clicks I KNOW the player. In 2006 between lagging around and having to look up KEY categories on different parts of the card, it is taking me too long to recognize players), setting lineups(Trying to figure out what players belong in each minor league level is an exhausing task in 2006, in 6.5 with the simple transaction screen and the set minor league pitching and hitting screens all on one screen, this task seemed simple.) I jjust wanted to start the game with my own draft, I figured it would take 3-4 hours. It took me 3 hours just to get through pick 20 before I had to let the computer finish. It is great that this stuff is being added, but I just dont have time to complete a 2 day draft, spending hours a day changing lineups because I cant trust the AI to do anything right.

I am all for the NEW stats in 2006 except at this point I am wondering, what exactly do they mean? Does a batters average on 0-2 mean anything, is there any rating that make them hit better on 0-2 counts? Its great that they are there but I just dont see how they are going to matter if there are no ratings that make them better in certain situations. Right now I am just wondering if they are there for dressing when all it is doing is slowing many aspects of the game up.
I've been playing the demo & have to agree on all the above. At first I was excited by the full minors and the inclusion of VORP in the stats, but that excitement wore off when I actually tried to play. So far I haven't noticed egregious AI decisions, but the inability to make transactions and read player cards smoothly is really annoying. Full click-and-drag functionality needs to be brought back.

The most disappointing thing about this version is the persistence of the ridiculous "movement" rating, bete noir of OOTP statheads. At least GB/FB % now affects BABIP, but all that means is that now FB pitchers are more desirable (yes, GB pitchers get more DPs, but still...). The real downside of FB pitchers should be that they allow more HR's. Abolish the movement rating!

I'm sure all of the above will get worked out eventually, but until then, 6.51a + Catobase remains the gold standard in baseball simulation.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #30
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Thanked 192x in 113 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach23BoyP
Think how great it would have been if Markus had just added a great almanac feature to 6.5. Instead we get "War and Peace".
Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #31
Claymore
All Star Reserve

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44
Amen - I posted this before and I will reinterate here -

We get it - some people like the F1/pitch by pitch hybrid solution - we understand it completely, we understand that you like it.

What they fail to understand is there are many of us who don't like it, and would prefer a "true" one-pitch mode with full strategic modes (just like it has been for the entire series)
I don't understand why both options were not included......
Old 06-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #32
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44
Not nearly enough time was spent on a solid MLB sim with realistic results, AI and game play.
A perfect summary of the mistake, Giants44.

Quote:
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #33
CarolinaSox
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Awful! I bought it and it was a waste of money. Wish there was a way I could get a refund. I am back to playing OOTP6.5. Has anyone tried to get a refund or is that impossible?
CarolinaSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #34
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish7694
I would have paid $100 for this game if it was 6.51 with full minor leragues, imporived AI, and actual MLB roster rules properly modelled. With the complexity of MLB roster rules I think this would have been ambitious enough.
I would have paid $100 for that game too. Instead we got a game that lets us create leagues in Ghana. Go figure.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 AM   #35
JimG
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time
I would have paid $100 for that game too. Instead we got a game that lets us create leagues in Ghana. Go figure.
Someday you will fall in love with a woman from Ghana (Ghanian? Ghahanian? Ghanaramian?) and she will read this thread and leave you forever. So sad.

You will come back and apologize for all the bad things you said about Ghana. You will make an all-Ghana league where every player is named Kemboka Mbutu in her honor. Your scouts will say "Kemboka was the woman for you." We will all laugh. Mark my words.

JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 AM   #36
Kyros
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Mogul had some bugs on release but now its basically bug free as far as I can tell.
^
To anyone who reads this, please do not fall into the trap and believe this garbage.

Dude, if you think Mogul is virtually bug free or in your words "basically" bug free yuu need to be examined.
Kyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 AM   #37
Claymore
All Star Reserve

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
^
To anyone who reads this, please do not fall into the trap and believe this garbage.

Dude, if you think Mogul is virtually bug free or in your words "basically" bug free yuu need to be examined.
Maybe the statement is in comparision to the bugs in OOTP2006?

I've never played BM (well not since version 1) so I can't say.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #38
Kyros
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore
Maybe the statement is in comparision to the bugs in OOTP2006?
Possibly but I believe this is the same guy posting on other forums tearing OOTPB2006 down.

However, this is not the reason why I disagreed with the Mogul statement. Mogul is playable but it has it's fair share of bugs.
Kyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #39
Zitofan75
All Star Starter

Thanked 20x in 12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
Possibly but I believe this is the same guy posting on other forums tearing OOTPB2006 down.

However, this is not the reason why I disagreed with the Mogul statement. Mogul is playable but it has it's fair share of bugs.
And talk about being unrealistic! Maybe Markus will rewrite the OOTP2006 code to strictly limit your rosters to 14 position players and 11 pitchers, no more no less.
Zitofan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #40
qusip
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish7694
I would have paid $100 for this game if it was 6.51 with full minor leagues, imporived AI, and actual MLB roster rules properly modelled. With the complexity of MLB roster rules I think this would have been ambitious enough. Maybe future additions could have added the Japanese League, winter league and/or independent leagues.

As of now the added world features actually decrease realism for those of us wanting to model modern MLB. If you want any Cubans, Japanese, or Dominicans in your league, they will be in the draft. If you have a hole in your AA roster and see a good independent league player, you can't just purcahse his contract. If you try to work around this by allowing trades and just trading for money, it may work for you but the other teams will trade players and there is no minor leaguer who would accept a trade to an independent league. This is without even addressing AI.

I truly think this game CAN get there, but there is no way the above issues will be addressed before next year's version, and I am afraid that since this world baseball can of worms has been opened it will just take that much longer to get the game where it needs to be to model actual, modern, MLB baseball.
My thoughts exactly, I love being able to impliment indy leagues, but I'd love to have it more acurately reflect the real baseball world - not only MLB. This game is close and hopefully it will get there