Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Announcing OOTP 21, Pre-Order Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,251x in 1,523 posts
Do independent minor leagues have they're own drafts?

How do they get they're players? A major league system (with minors) get's its players through a draft. A Japanese/Mexican/Candian league that is independent from the major has its own draft. Does that mean an independent minor league has it's own draft?
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
emysdk
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Good question. I don't see why it wouldn't - surely there wouldn't ever be enough free agents to fill an indy league? It'd make sense if there is a draft for each league system, regardless of the level each is set at.
emysdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
theasfl
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 6x in 2 posts
if they're independents they arent minor leagues they're major leagues but at a much smaller level...I would imagine they either are set to draft (what I would guess in general) or are set to have only free agency.

The ASFL

22 different games, 9 sports. Please check out the website (www.theasfl.com/asfl2/). The league is free- if you're interested please fill out the signup form and/or email the commissioner.

Miami Talons (ABL): 2004, 2005 & 2008 Champs
theasfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
JWay
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 403x in 214 posts
i would assume they'd just get cut free agents of minor league teams..... If the ammy drafts are large enough any left off FA crop...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 452x in 263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theasfl
if they're independents they arent minor leagues they're major leagues.
Not quite true.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
datrain021
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
My guess is for real indy leagues you can have a small (2-5 round) draft or you can set it to FA only, as there should be pleanty of them to fill those rosters. For leagues such as Mexican and Japan my guess is you would need a draft. One question is does the game include Japanese minors?
datrain021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
battists
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,575x in 638 posts
You're all pretty much right.

1. An independent league can be at any "league level" (major league, AAA, etc.)

2. Any league has a choice of having a draft or not, free agency or not.

3. Leagues without a draft must select players through free agency. (Not quite sure how this works, honestly, re: emysdk's question. I wondered the same thing reading this.)

The distinction that theasfl was going for, but just missed, was what I've referred to in the manual as "parent" vs "child" leagues. In a league hierarchy, any league at the top of a hierarchy is a "parent" league, and these can have a draft. So, if you create an independent single-a league, as long as it is at the top of it's hierarchy, it is a parent league, and can therefore hold a draft.

Any child league (one that is affiliated to a parent league) gets players through free agency or through the parent league's draft.

Make sense?
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
You're all pretty much right.

1. An independent league can be at any "league level" (major league, AAA, etc.)

2. Any league has a choice of having a draft or not, free agency or not.

3. Leagues without a draft must select players through free agency. (Not quite sure how this works, honestly, re: emysdk's question. I wondered the same thing reading this.)

The distinction that theasfl was going for, but just missed, was what I've referred to in the manual as "parent" vs "child" leagues. In a league hierarchy, any league at the top of a hierarchy is a "parent" league, and these can have a draft. So, if you create an independent single-a league, as long as it is at the top of it's hierarchy, it is a parent league, and can therefore hold a draft.

Any child league (one that is affiliated to a parent league) gets players through free agency or through the parent league's draft.

Make sense?
I think that pretty much gave me the answer I was looking for. Thanks, battists.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
qusip
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Good Question

I seem to remember back in 93 that the Northern League had a free agent draft to fill the league, but the way most indys work I'd think that the free agent draft would not work well due to roster restrictions (e.g. 5 rookies, max 4 veterans, etc.).

My understanding is that most indys work scouring the undrafted college prospects and released players from organized baseball by their front office staff. They sign players to summer contracts and release them from the contract if something "better" comes along. I've always thought that there must be some collusion going on in these leagues not necessarily as a negative, but rather to fill the other's rosters. For example, St. Paul finds a rookie 2b, but they have two already, so they give Sioux Falls a heads up on him in returns of favors unspecified.

I think of indy leagues as their own entities. The level of play differs greatly IMHO between leagues and even between years in the same league. I don't think of them as AAA or A, just as their own thing. They aren't major or minor.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 452x in 263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusip
I don't think of them as AAA or A, just as their own thing. They aren't major or minor.
They may not be minor, but they are certainly not major.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras
They may not be minor, but they are certainly not major.
One other question though. Players that are created for specific drafts (i.e. Major Legaue draft) have the potential to be major leaguers. Japenese players created for the Japan draft will only have potential to be Japanese League quality. So if a player is created for an idependent league that is only AA quality that player can never advance beyond AA because they won't be good enough to. Correct?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 AM   #12
Captain Walrus
All Star Reserve

Thanked 172x in 75 posts
Quote:

Make sense?
Okay, so if I have a Dominican League in which all teams are a MLB affiliate, I can't have a seperate draft for Dominican players because it is a child league?
Captain Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 AM   #13
theasfl
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 6x in 2 posts
Quote:
thank you, the second I posted it with the word "major" I knew I should have changed it but didnt have time to go back...thanks for the answer

The ASFL

22 different games, 9 sports. Please check out the website (www.theasfl.com/asfl2/). The league is free- if you're interested please fill out the signup form and/or email the commissioner.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 AM   #14
theasfl
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 6x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Walrus
Okay, so if I have a Dominican League in which all teams are a MLB affiliate, I can't have a seperate draft for Dominican players because it is a child league?
correct

The ASFL

Old 05-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
CecilCooper
Major Leagues

Thanked 19x in 14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames
One other question though. Players that are created for specific drafts (i.e. Major Legaue draft) have the potential to be major leaguers. Japenese players created for the Japan draft will only have potential to be Japanese League quality. So if a player is created for an idependent league that is only AA quality that player can never advance beyond AA because they won't be good enough to. Correct?
Not Necessarily... every league will have it's HOF types. So a AA level league will have some superstars that may be good enough to crack a Major League level um.....league.
CecilCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
rocknfire7
All Star Starter

Thanked 376x in 222 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilCooper
Not Necessarily... every league will have it's HOF types. So a AA level league will have some superstars that may be good enough to crack a Major League level um.....league.
That's what battists said a while back too. It is possible but if the player creation settings are too low then the chances are much smaller for a player to make the "Show" let alone become a star player.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
spark240
All Star Reserve

Thanked 2x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilCooper
Oh, this is essential. In much of history, the greatest stars were not drafted as young, starting-off players. They were discovered playing in small regional leagues. I am counting on being able to do a universe where scouting myriad obscure leagues is necessary; conversely, I also want a universe (the same one, that is) in which teams in small regional leagues will sometimes be able to RETAIN great players for years! That will require some tinkering with the finances, I'm sure, but in any event I need the possibility for (potential) top-level stars to appear, occasionally, in just about any league.
spark240 is offline   Reply With Quote