Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
dankrzyz
Major Leagues

Max. seasons under one manager "name"?

I don't recall ever maxing out my manager's career/life on previous OOTPS, but my question is regarding the maximum seasons I can play under one manager "name". Is there a limit? Can you keep playing as Commish forever, but creating multiple manager names to play as? Do managers and staff age over time?

I guess what I'm asking is after a number of seasons, can I be a manager with 145 seasons done at age 167?

(Let's call that the Don Zimmer effect?)
dankrzyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Tekneek
Major Leagues

The limit is probably when you run out of drive space, much like the other SI titles.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps there needs to be a "reincarnation" option

Seriously, I doubt there would be any limit built into the game. However, I would probably "retire" at some point (probably in my 60s or 70s) just for the sake of realism.
Muzamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
dankrzyz
Major Leagues

I think the only hope for this was the the previous versions' family features - marriage and children - that was pulled in this version. Junior can't take over the family business/ballclub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba
Perhaps there needs to be a "reincarnation" option
dankrzyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Psychoholic Slag
Minors (Single A)

Joe Paterno is proof that there shouldn't be a max.
Psychoholic Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #6
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Jack McKeon and Don Zimmer are both around 75/76 so maybe the cut off should be 80.

i'd say if they aren't working for a team at age 70 they retire for good. And, at 80, they retire even if they are working.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Jack McKeon and Don Zimmer are both around 75/76 so maybe the cut off should be 80.

i'd say if they aren't working for a team at age 70 they retire for good. And, at 80, they retire even if they are working.

Connie Mack managed until he was 87. I think that should be the limit.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons
i thought there was someone who managed for some outrageous number of years. i was thinking John McGraw though.

From the look of his record, he probably should've retired fifteen years sooner than he did. Didn't he own the team,too?

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
theasfl
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons
There was someone with the Fort Worth Cats last year that managed at 88 or 89...I cant think of his name or the league name right now, but theyre moving to the American Association I believe, although Im likely shredding some information here.

I was visiting my sick grandpa in Fort Worth last year and saw it in the paper.

The ASFL

22 different games, 9 sports. Please check out the website (www.theasfl.com/asfl2/). The league is free- if you're interested please fill out the signup form and/or email the commissioner.

Miami Talons (ABL): 2004, 2005 & 2008 Champs
theasfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
i thought there was someone who managed for some outrageous number of years. i was thinking John McGraw though.

From the look of his record, he probably should've retired fifteen years sooner than he did. Didn't he own the team,too?

I believe that he was part owner.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
qusip
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasfl
There was someone with the Fort Worth Cats last year that managed at 88 or 89...I cant think of his name or the league name right now, but theyre moving to the American Association I believe, although Im likely shredding some information here.

I was visiting my sick grandpa in Fort Worth last year and saw it in the paper.
Wayne Terwilliger coached them last year. I am pretty sure he is "only 80" or 81. He won the championship last season too. They are moving to the A.A. next season.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
theasfl
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusip
Wayne Terwilliger coached them last year. I am pretty sure he is "only 80" or 81. He won the championship last season too. They are moving to the A.A. next season.

then they brought in an old coach, or it was an assistant

The ASFL

22 different games, 9 sports. Please check out the website (www.theasfl.com/asfl2/). The league is free- if you're interested please fill out the signup form and/or email the commissioner.

Miami Talons (ABL): 2004, 2005 & 2008 Champs
theasfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #13
Twelvefield
All Star Starter

Back to the original question, I always thought that the limit of seasons you could coach in OOTPB was 25, and then the game stopped recording stats. Memory serves to tell me from "press releases" that the new OOTPB has no such restriction, that you could go on as long as your computer holds up. Please correct me if I am wrong, I'd like to know all this for sure.
Twelvefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #14
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefield
Back to the original question, I always thought that the limit of seasons you could coach in OOTPB was 25, and then the game stopped recording stats. Memory serves to tell me from "press releases" that the new OOTPB has no such restriction, that you could go on as long as your computer holds up. Please correct me if I am wrong, I'd like to know all this for sure.
IIRC an individual player would run out of room to record his stats after 25 years due to the structure of the data base. Not sure about the manager in "manager mode". The game however has never had a limit though on how many seasons your dynasty can run.

Markus has stated that the 25 year career is a thing of the past with the new design of the data base. In old versions every player used up 25 seasons worth of space whether he played in 1, 5, or 25 seasons. With the new design each player only uses space for actual seasons played. At least this is how this non-progamer, non-database design guy understands it. One of the experts can correct me if I have this wrong.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote