Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Must donate 11,500 to a charity of his choice.

I see part of the NCAA's ruling in the James Wiseman suspension is that Wiseman must donate the $11,500 his mom received to a charity of his choice. What's the point? Are 2 months of basketball worth $11,500? Well, I guess it could be 3 months if Memphis went deep in the tournament.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I see part of the NCAA's ruling in the James Wiseman suspension is that Wiseman must donate the $11,500 his mom received to a charity of his choice. What's the point? Are 2 months of basketball worth $11,500? Well, I guess it could be 3 months if Memphis went deep in the tournament.
I want to know why they would expect a college freshman to have $11,500?

KILL the NCAA
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I want to know why they would expect a college freshman to have $11,500?

KILL the NCAA
Exactly. It's flat out nuts.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what the big deal is. He (his mom) broke the rules by receiving $11,500. Between the NBA and endorsements, he is soon to be signing deals worth over $100 million. With that on the horizon, $11.5k going to a charity (not the NCAA) isn't a big deal.

I do, however, see the dichotomy between the NCAA saying "athletes cannot make money" and telling a kid to come up with $11.5k. But in the grand scheme of things, the kid's family is being asked to come up with what will amount to sofa change. And it's not a fine; it's paying back what was illicitly received.

That all said, I don't know what the timing requirements are (how long does he have to pay it back?), but if I were the NCAA, I'd've given him the choice between a couple years - allowing for the fact that he's going to be coming into millions soon - and significantly upping the amount due, or paying the $11.5k in the very near future.

I kinda go along with this (taken from the "Astros cheating" thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
... your tolerance for violations is measured by your willingness to police & punish it. If you can't deliver the severest penalty possible, then this is much ado about nothing.
I do realize that most here think college athletes should be able to earn/take money from whoever/whenever, but just cuz you don't like the rules doesn't mean you don't have to follow them. Just ask the IRS (and those who have decided to break their rules).
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
When he signs with an agent as soon as the NCAA season is over his agent will front him the money.

Yet another reason why I wonder these kids decide to go the NCAA route at all.
Why not just go overseas or play in the G-League for a season?

You will be a better draft product and not have to deal with all the NCAA bull****.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

@ thehef

You misread me. I have no prob with the punishment since the rules are on the books. It would be unfair to other schools and athletes who play by the rules if the NCAA treats this lightly.

My problem is with the ludicrous nature of the whole thing. If they do like the NCAA normally does, Wiseman will have to pay the charity before he can play again. If he isnt allowed to make money off his playing ability, if he isnt allowed to have job during the season, exactly how do they expect an 18 yr old kid to get that kind of money within the NCAA rules by January? If he shows them a receipt to the United Way that has got to light up some red flags. Are we really expected to believe something else "illegal" hasnt taken place? The NCAA essentially told him to commit another crime to make up for his 1st crime.

That is ludicrous. Not to mention the fact a kid cant tell his mom not to take money. It is another example of the NCAA trying to enforce the unenforcable. And a further show of arrogance in trying to have oversight over parents who are not under their jurisdiction.

KILL the NCAA
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

A long, long time ago there was a star basketball player at Memphis by the name of Keith Lee. He was spotted driving around campus in a brand new Trans-Am. When asked about this he claimed his mother bought it for him. There was only one problem with this explanation. Mrs. Lee was in the hospital dying of terminal cancer.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
pilight
All Star Starter

What can the NCAA do to him if he doesn't pay? Add more games to his suspension despite no further rule breaking? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen that the NCAA won't win.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
John Madden
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I do realize that most here think college athletes should be able to earn/take money from whoever/whenever, but just cuz you don't like the rules doesn't mean you don't have to follow them. Just ask the IRS (and those who have decided to break their rules).
the IRS? The same IRS that not long ago admitted it focuses it's auditing power on the poor, and not those like, say, our president?

https://www.propublica.org/article/i...audit-the-poor
John Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Madden View Post
the IRS? The same IRS that not long ago admitted it focuses it's auditing power on the poor, and not those like, say, our president?

https://www.propublica.org/article/i...audit-the-poor
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending or lauding the IRS. I'm just saying that if you break their rules and get caught, you're going to pay. But make no mistake and don't get me started on the corrupt politics of the IRS. The same corrupt organization that saw a groundswell movement change the makeup of the House of Representative in the 2010 elections and then decided - at the direction of the administration at the time - to chop that grassroots organization off at the knees and partially affect the 2012 elections. And got away with it.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #11
pilight
All Star Starter

Wiseman has lived up to his name and decided to leave college and sign with an agent

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nter-nba-draft
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Wiseman has lived up to his name and decided to leave college and sign with an agent

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nter-nba-draft
Now he's living up to his name. Why pay money to an organization that is seeking to make money off of you for free while you puting your opportuinity to make money at risk? Wise man.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance