Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #21
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Expand by two teams.

Make NL and AL each 16 teams, two divisions of 8.

No inter league play. No inter division play. 154 game schedule, all in division.

Division winners only to playoffs.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:00 AM   #22
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Expand by two teams.

No inter league play. No inter division play. 154 game schedule, all in division.

I'd agree with this with the exception of the interleague bit. Would definitely want play between AL East & West and otherwise in the NL. I can see arguments for and against AL/NL interleague.

But I really like that playoff format. Have both the LCS and World Series go 7 games. So it's almost like the 70s/80s, but not quite.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #23
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I dont see the need to shorten the season. Fans are not forced to go see every game. Its entertainment and a business. If the season is shortened wouldnt the teams have players on an off season workout? Or the players would do it themselves. Seems to me a player would much rather be playing in a game.
Its nice for fans to know that if something comes up in June they still have plenty of time to catch another game. Whereas with the NFL you only get 16 chances to see a game.
If you shorten the season, its not just taking money from the owners but its also less games for the people working at the stadium.
Let them play. Let them play. Let them play.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #24
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Expand by two teams.

I`d go for this too!
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #25
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I dont see the need to shorten the season. Fans are not forced to go see every game. Its entertainment and a business. If the season is shortened wouldnt the teams have players on an off season workout? Or the players would do it themselves. Seems to me a player would much rather be playing in a game.
Its nice for fans to know that if something comes up in June they still have plenty of time to catch another game. Whereas with the NFL you only get 16 chances to see a game.
If you shorten the season, its not just taking money from the owners but its also less games for the people working at the stadium.
Let them play. Let them play. Let them play.

Then you'd be in favor of year round baseball, right?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #26
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I'd agree with this with the exception of the interleague bit. Would definitely want play between AL East & West and otherwise in the NL. I can see arguments for and against AL/NL interleague.

But I really like that playoff format. Have both the LCS and World Series go 7 games. So it's almost like the 70s/80s, but not quite.

As soon as teams in a division don't have equal opponents the meaningfulness of a division title starts to erode.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #27
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I am pretty satisfied with the current playoff set up. I like the way it emphasizes winning the division, but still keeps enough teams in the hunt to keep some attention on baseball in cities where football tends to draw the attention once the NFL season starts.

I would be prefer to cut the season to 154 games, the revenue loss would not be huge, but there would be some and the teams and players would have to work out how to adjust for this.

Personally, I find inter-league play pretty meaningless, but I will admit I speak as an old fart who also doesn't attend many games live, so the thrill of getting to see Mike Trout, or other AL stars, once every few year does not add any appeal. I prefer more games against the teams I am specifically trying to beat out for a playoff spot.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #28
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

"I am pretty satisfied with the current playoff set up. I like the way it emphasizes winning the division, but still keeps enough teams in the hunt to keep some attention on baseball in cities where football tends to draw the attention once the NFL season starts"

Hey fans of a team not good enough to finish first, stay interested. If you can be the best or second best non division winning team we'll let you into the playoffs anyway. Isn't that cool?

And then we'll put your team in a one game sudden death "series" designed to immediately eliminate your team or the other non division winning team. This is to quickly eliminate half the teams we know really shouldn't be in the playoffs anyway. Really, letting your team play post season is a gift.

Then if your wins we'll let your team play the best team in the league because... well, because as stated previously we KNOW your team really shouldn't be in the playoffs and we going to do everything we can to make sure your team is out of them as soon as possible. Did we mention that this series against the best team is also going to be a road series? Don't gripe about it not being fair. After all, your team is basically an imposter.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #29
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
"I am pretty satisfied with the current playoff set up. I like the way it emphasizes winning the division, but still keeps enough teams in the hunt to keep some attention on baseball in cities where football tends to draw the attention once the NFL season starts"

Hey fans of a team not good enough to finish first, stay interested. If you can be the best or second best non division winning team we'll let you into the playoffs anyway. Isn't that cool?

And then we'll put your team in a one game sudden death "series" designed to immediately eliminate your team or the other non division winning team. This is to quickly eliminate half the teams we know really shouldn't be in the playoffs anyway. Really, letting your team play post season is a gift.

Then if your wins we'll let your team play the best team in the league because... well, because as stated previously we KNOW your team really shouldn't be in the playoffs and we going to do everything we can to make sure your team is out of them as soon as possible. Did we mention that this series against the best team is also going to be a road series? Don't gripe about it not being fair. After all, your team is basically an imposter.
Since both the Cardinals and Nationals have gone on to win the World Series has Wild Card teams in the last decade I'm not sure what your point is and why the teams aren't worthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2019, 01:54 AM   #30
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
Since both the Cardinals and Nationals have gone on to win the World Series has Wild Card teams in the last decade I'm not sure what your point is and why the teams aren't worthy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Because a sample size of 162 already showed they weren't worthy. That a wild card team can occasionally prevail on a sample size of 18 doesn't change that.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #31
Reed
All Star Starter

I just thought of this so it probably is a very dumb idea but here goes. I do not like the idea of a wild cards and I want the “best” teams in the playoffs. For the first quarter of the season let the games count as half and for the last quarter of the season, the games would count as double. At least I think the season would be much more interesting and more teams would still have a decent chance at the half way point instead of just thinking about next year.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #32
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Expand by two teams.

If you throw the DH out as well when you become the commish you'll be my hero
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #33
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Expand by two teams.

I think that would make a fine format for an OOTP game, but in the real world it would simply accelerate the issues MLB has with viewership and interest. By August, 20-25 cities would have forgotten that they have a baseball team, once pre-season football starts.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #34
CBeisbol
Banned

I don't see any compelling argument to change anything.

That said, I'd be for a longer All-Star break. With time for Skills Challenge type events.

A three game series against All Star teams from foreign leagues instead of the AL/NL All-Star game.

And/or an international tournament after the World Series.

Yes, I realize this would require changes to the current 162 game schedule and other logistics
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:07 AM   #35
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
If you throw the DH out as well when you become the commish you'll be my hero
I've done it in my ootp games. Any credit for that?
Old 11-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #36
sprague
All Star Starter

i would do just what I do with my leagues.
A 120 game season. Starts in May, ends 3rd week of Sept.
That is enough games to stop a "small sample size" issue for wins or stats
but cuts down all the extra games that dont mean that much. After 120 games you have a good idea who is a good team or not.

Would be nice to have the playoffs in real life over in mid Oct or earlier
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #37
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
That is enough games to stop a "small sample size" issue for wins or stats
This isn't true just because you state it to be so

The current 162 game season isn' a large enough sample for some stats - largely defensive ones.

Then there's the fact that teams and players change over the course of the season

There's also a lot of non-understanding of what a sample is. A sample is a measurement of a portion of some whole.

So a full season can be a sample or it can be a population (the whole).

If a team was 100-62 during a season, that's not a sample, it's the measurement of their wins and losses during the season. Their record in April, that's a sample of the season. Or their record in day games. Or their record in every fifth game. Mind you, these may not be good, or, random samples.

But 162 can be a sample. It's typically used that way when trying to determine "true talent level". True talent can't be measured directly. It can only be measured in samples. Maybe 162 games. Or 120. Or whatever.

We can say with 100% accuracy that the Cardinals won more games than the Brewers.

We can't say with 100% certainty that the Cardinals were truly better than the Brewers. It's not a large enough sample (and our measurements aren't precise enough).

We can say, with very high certainty, that Tim Anderson hit .335 in 2019.

We cannot say with certainty that Tim Anderson was a true talent .335 hitter - he, almost certainly, was not.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:23 AM   #38
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I think that would make a fine format for an OOTP game, but in the real world it would simply accelerate the issues MLB has with viewership and interest. By August, 20-25 cities would have forgotten that they have a baseball team, once pre-season football starts.
For almost 60 years 12.5% of the teams qualified for the post season. Then for a few years 10% qualified. Then 16.67, Despite all these years of success baseball now thinks it needs 33% of the teams in the post season. This is not defensible.

Also interesting here is the implicit idea that a meaningless pre season football game is more interesting than a meaningless late season baseball game.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:24 AM   #39
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This isn't true just because you state it to be so

The current 162 game season isn' a large enough sample for some stats - largely defensive ones.

Then there's the fact that teams and players change over the course of the season

There's also a lot of non-understanding of what a sample is. A sample is a measurement of a portion of some whole.

So a full season can be a sample or it can be a population (the whole).

If a team was 100-62 during a season, that's not a sample, it's the measurement of their wins and losses during the season. Their record in April, that's a sample of the season. Or their record in day games. Or their record in every fifth game. Mind you, these may not be good, or, random samples.

But 162 can be a sample. It's typically used that way when trying to determine "true talent level". True talent can't be measured directly. It can only be measured in samples. Maybe 162 games. Or 120. Or whatever.

We can say with 100% accuracy that the Cardinals won more games than the Brewers.

We can't say with 100% certainty that the Cardinals were truly better than the Brewers. It's not a large enough sample (and our measurements aren't precise enough).

We can say, with very high certainty, that Tim Anderson hit .335 in 2019.

We cannot say with certainty that Tim Anderson was a true talent .335 hitter - he, almost certainly, was not.

I can say with high certainty that a second place team doesn't belong in the post season.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #40
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I can say with high certainty that a second place team doesn't belong in the post season.

Sadly, the same can be said of some first-place teams. In my opinion, that's where the issue comes into play. Yes, it sounds great to only have first-place teams qualify, but when you have an 82-80 division winner qualify, but a 102-60 second-place team not, that's an issue.
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote