Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Articles About OOTP's Games

Articles About OOTP's Games Read and discuss OOTP's articles about the history of its games and the fans like you who have created unique worlds with them.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

Steve Corino: A Tale of Two Generations Joined By OOTP

Fathers and sons. Baseball has a way of tying one generation to the next, creating traditions that are passed on while new ones develop along the way. In the case of pro wrestler Steve Corino, baseball has helped strengthen his relationship with his father two ways: through their passion for the real world sport and by sharing stories about playing Out of the Park Baseball.

"When I was seven years old, my father, Big Frank, taught me the old APBA card game," Corino says of his childhood in Philadelphia. "Now this was 1980, when the Phillies were making that run to the World Series. He was a milkman and worked the overnight shift, so I would keep score of the Phillies games for him. The funny part is that we didn't get cable until the fall of 1981, so I would listen to the radio and keep score for him like I was the official scorekeeper. Back then, the newspapers only carried the basic box score, so I would make stats for him. Then he showed me the APBA game and I was off!"

As an adult, Corino moved on to digital baseball sims, primarily MLB The Show. "I would buy that game every year on the PS2," he says. "Traveling with pro wrestling, I would spend half the year in Japan and half at home, so I would have plenty of time."

However, the GM aspect of baseball videogames was what he really enjoyed, so when a fan told him about OOTP on Twitter during the 2012 Thanksgiving holiday, "it all changed," he remembers. (We encourage you to follow him at @KingCorino.) "I downloaded OOTP and haven't stopped playing!" he says. "Not only do you control your team on the field, but you are responsible off the field too: budgets, stats, trades, 'emails' from other GMs and players, and so forth. OOTP is the best game for the obsessed fan."

Renewing His Relationship With His Father

OOTP also brought him full circle in his relationship with his father: Where Big Frank had once introduced him to APBA, now he got his father hooked on a baseball game. "With life and growing up, you kind of stop playing games with your father. It's the hard part of growing up," he recalls. "But now, 33 years later, I introduced him to OOTP and he may be more obsessed than me, which is super hard to believe at the Corino house!"

He adds: "It may sound cheesy, but OOTP has brought my father and I closer together than we ever have been. At least three or four times a day he will call me: 'Hey Steve, I just traded Cole Hamels for Josh Hamilton.' Or: 'About to clinch a playoff spot, how are you doing?' It's amazing. My mother and wife have to shake their heads because we are like two kids (or as I say, two real GMs) when we talk about OOTP."

Taking Over His Favorite Team

Growing up a Phillies fan, Corino has of course taken the reins of his favorite team in OOTP. "I started with the 2012 Phillies," he says of his first experience.

Sounding like a big league GM wistfully remembering the old days, Corino continues: "I started out so good, seven games ahead in the NL East around the All-Star break, when Ryan Howard tore his ACL and it all went south. I was lucky to end up 80-82. In 2013 I was in trouble from the get-go and was fired after going 13-27! I had to sim the rest of the season (they ended up going 67-55 after I got canned).

"In 2014, I became the GM/Manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, which happens to be my second favorite team (I am Canadian born). On May 29, 2014, I was fired. Again. Worst part about it? May 29 is my birthday! I threw away my real Blue Jays hat!"

But Corino was undaunted and started anew. "This time I decided to go back in time and run the 1982 Phillies," he says. "The reason I picked the '82 Phightins was it was the first full season I got to watch baseball on cable TV. I am not doing very well with them either. How can I be 7-19 with a lineup like this?"

And then Corino presents his '82 Phillies lineup card:

1-Bowa SS
2-Sandberg 2B
3-Rose 1B
4-Schmidt 3B
5-Rice RF
6-Luzinski LF
7-Diaz C
8-Denier CF

He continues: "Steve Carlton is 1-5 with me right now and has given up 17 earned runs in the FIRST INNING over the last four starts. But on the positive end, Julio Franco is hitting .400 with 11 RBIs since filling in for the injured Larry Bowa."

He adds: "I think that is what makes OOTP so good: Every game is not the same. Just like real MLB action, any team can win, pull off an upset, go on a winning streak or a losing streak, suffer injuries, have complaints, and more. I never get tired of playing!"

Talking Baseball

Indeed, Corino continues to talk about playing OOTP on Twitter. "If you are a fan of OOTP don't be afraid to tweet me at @KINGCorino," he says. "I always have time to talk baseball. In fact, I like talking baseball more than I like talking pro wrestling! I am even starting to put up some updates on my team on my website, www.WorldOfCORINO.com."

He concludes: "And thank you to OOTP for making this game. It not only saved me from buying a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing one game, but it allowed me to have an even better relationship with my father. That's why baseball is the greatest game in the entire world!"

Last edited by BradC; 03-24-2013 at 03:15 PM.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Fathers and sons. Baseball has a way of tying one generation to the next, creating traditions that are passed on while new ones develop along the way. In the case of pro wrestler Steve Corino, baseball has helped strengthen his relationship with his father two ways: through their passion for the real world sport and by sharing stories about playing Out of the Park Baseball.

"When I was seven years old, my father, Big Frank, taught me the old APBA card game," Corino says of his childhood in Philadelphia. "Now this was 1980, when the Phillies were making that run to the World Series. He was a milkman and worked the overnight shift, so I would keep score of the Phillies games for him. The funny part is that we didn't get cable until the fall of 1981, so I would listen to the radio and keep score for him like I was the official scorekeeper. Back then, the newspapers only carried the basic box score, so I would make stats for him. Then he showed me the APBA game and I was off!"

As an adult, Corino moved on to digital baseball sims, primarily MLB The Show. "I would buy that game every year on the PS2," he says. "Traveling with pro wrestling, I would spend half the year in Japan and half at home, so I would have plenty of time."

However, the GM aspect of baseball videogames was what he really enjoyed, so when a fan told him about OOTP on Twitter during the 2012 Thanksgiving holiday, "it all changed," he remembers. (We encourage you to follow him at @KingCorino.) "I downloaded OOTP and haven't stopped playing!" he says. "Not only do you control your team on the field, but you are responsible off the field too: budgets, stats, trades, 'emails' from other GMs and players, and so forth. OOTP is the best game for the obsessed fan."

Renewing His Relationship With His Father

OOTP also brought him full circle in his relationship with his father: Where Big Frank had once introduced him to APBA, now he got his father hooked on a baseball game. "With life and growing up, you kind of stop playing games with your father. It's the hard part of growing up," he recalls. "But now, 33 years later, I introduced him to OOTP and he may be more obsessed than me, which is super hard to believe at the Corino house!"

He adds: "It may sound cheesy, but OOTP has brought my father and I closer together than we ever havebeen. At least three or four times a day he will call me: 'Hey Steve, I just traded Cole Hamels for Josh Hamilton.' Or: 'About to clinch a playoff spot, how are you doing?' It's amazing. My mother and wife have to shake their heads because we are like two kids (or as I say, two real GMs) when we talk about OOTP."

Taking Over His Favorite Team

Growing up a Phillies fan, Corino has of course taken the reins of his favorite team in OOTP. "I started with the 2012 Phillies," he says of his first experience.

Sounding like a big league GM wistfully remembering the old days, Corino continues: "I started out so good, seven games ahead in the NL East around the All-Star break, when Ryan Howard tore his ACL and it all went south. I was lucky to end up 80-82. In 2013 I was in trouble from the get-go and was fired after going 13-27! I had to sim the rest of the season (they ended up going 67-55 after I got canned).

"In 2014, I became the GM/Manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, which happens to be my second favorite team (I am Canadian born). On May 29, 2014, I was fired. Again. Worst part about it? May 29 is my birthday! I threw away my real Blue Jays hat!"

But Corino was undaunted and started anew. "This time I decided to go back in time and run the 1982 Phillies," he says. "The reason I picked the '82 Phightins was it was the first full season I got to watch baseball on cable TV. I am not doing very well with them either. How can I be 7-19 with a lineup like this?"

And then Corino presents his '82 Phillies lineup card:

1-Bowa SS
2-Sandberg 2B
3-Rose 1B
4-Schmidt 3B
5-Rice RF
6-Luzinski LF
7-Diaz C
8-Denier CF

He continues: "Steve Carlton is 1-5 with me right now and has given up 17 earned runs in the FIRST INNING over the last four starts. But on the positive end, Julio Franco is hitting .400 with 11 RBIs since filling in for the injured Larry Bowa."

He adds: "I think that is what makes OOTP so good: Every game is not the same. Just like real MLB action, any team can win, pull off an upset, go on a winning streak or a losing streak, suffer injuries, have complaints, and more. I never get tired of playing!"

Talking Baseball

Indeed, Corino continues to talk about playing OOTP on Twitter. "If you are a fan of OOTP don't be afraid to tweet me at @KINGCorino," he says. "I always have time to talk baseball. In fact, I like talking baseball more than I like talking pro wrestling! I am even starting to put up some updates on my team on my website, www.WorldOfCORINO.com."

He concludes: "And thank you to OOTP for making this game. It not only saved me from buying a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing one game, but it allowed me to have an even better relationship with my father. That's why baseball is the greatest game in the entire world!"
That's who the Emerald Isle jerseys are for!
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote