Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

American Baseball Association

I've never really been able to "play" OOTP in the sense of managing or being the GM of a team. What I love to do most is simulate long stretches of time, and looking at my league in hindsight trying to find anomalies and interesting pieces of history.

My most recent simulation takes place in the American Baseball League. Currently this league spans from 2017 to 2146. It is a 40 team league based off of 2017 statistics. From each subleague there are four playoff teams, two division winners, and two wildcards.The first photo I am putting up is of the league standings so you can get a view of all the teams. The schedule is balanced and there is no inter league play.

This thread does not have true objective. As I post this I have very minimal knowledge of my leagues history. My plan is to just explore the league using tableau, excel, maybe some SAS Enterprise and R; and posting things I find interesting. I'm not too great at data visualization so please bare with me. If there are any questions about something I posted don't hesitate to ask.
Attached Images
BradG223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

While it might not be the prettiest graphic, I am starting off with an image that is going to show off some of the various dynasties over the course of the league.

The X axis depicts the year while the Y axis shows the moving average of championships won over a five year period. If a team wins two championships in a five year span, they are at .4 on the Y axis because they won .4 of five possible championships.

Accompanying the chart is an image of my league's history tab. There you can note Salt Lake City and Portland's dominance from 2096 to 2110.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 06-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

This graph has somewhat the same idea of the last one, however, instead of the Y-axis representing championships won, this time it indicates that five year average of wins. All teams depicted are those who have one instance of two championships in a five year span.

I think the graph puts emphasis on Salt Lake City's and Portland's dominance, of the depicted teams they have the best five year spans, as far as wins are concerned.

One thing I would like to note is how New Orleans has two peaks separated by ten years.
Attached Images
Old 06-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Now this is some stuff that I can get groovy with. The first two graphs in this post represent running totals of home runs of all major batters in my leagues history. The difference in the two graphs is the X-axis, where one graph depicts home run total by year in history, the other shows the players age. Golden lines represent players in the hall of fame.

I only highlighted Mike Clark cause Holy Moley did that guy hit the ball. The guy wasn't on pace to break the home run record until he turned 35. You would expect him to fall off somewhat, but the fella just kept on hitting. The last graph shows running home run totals after turning 35. I don't think I have to annotate him; he hit a plenty more than the next guy.

Accompanying the two charts is Clark's career page. I'd like to note he was drafted 285 overall (7th round).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by BradG223; 06-16-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG223 View Post
Accompanying the two charts is Clark's career page. I'd like to note he was drafted 285 overall (7th round).
Jumping off of this, I'm putting up a chart that shows career War totals plotted against overall draft location. Players are colored by whether or not they attended college. While I already mentioned it, Mike Clark is far and away the biggest anomaly on the board. Once again, I don't think he needs to be annotated.

The R-Square for both trendlines is something like .2. The equation of the trendline for those who did not attend college is as follows:
Career War = -5.46402*ln(Draft Overall Pick) + 33.5099
Attached Images

Last edited by BradG223; 06-16-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

This graph shows off the ability of players who could both hit and pitch over their careers. I noted five players who I think are best examples of two way players. Far and away the best is Ryan Babcock.

Accompanying the graphs are Babcock's career pages in pitching and hitting. He was drafted fourth overall by Newark.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

This graph shows off the number of rings each player has won. Probably not surprising; Mike Clark leads the way with six.

1 ring or more: 4,611 players
2 ring or more: 710 players
3 ring or more: 324 players
4 ring or more: 26 players
5 ring or more: 2 players
Attached Images
Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

This graph is like the one above, but instead of Championships won the Y-axis displays all-star game appearances.

About 4,000 players have been selected to play in an all-star game.
5 or more all-star games: 415
10 or more: 42
12 or more: 15
Attached Images

Last edited by BradG223; 06-17-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

This is a really simple one. The relationship of player expenses and wins. If I were to use a linear model, one win would be equal to $1.75 million dollars.The R-Squared for the trend line shown is .98.
Attached Images
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

I think this one is pretty interesting. It compares the season average of home runs to stolen bases by position. A player's season is only taken into account if he has more than 300 ab. The labels show position (2 = Catcher, 3 = First base etc.), and the average war from these seasons.

Most of the information shown is pretty obvious; catchers aren't needed to be good on offense, first basemen hit a lot of home runs, and center fielders are usually quick, which corresponds with more of steals.
Attached Images
Old 06-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
guamyank
Minors (Triple A)

This is all pretty cool. I'll bet some of the blog story tellers around here would love to let you look at their leagues if you were so inclined.
guamyank is offline   Reply With Quote