Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:35 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Post Historical database issues go here!

Hi guys,

Please post any issues with the historical db's here. Players importing multiple times, not importing, crazy ratings, wrong stats or other stuff like this. Garlon, Bigrod and Lukas will do their best to respond and to fix any issues.

Thanks for your help in making OOTP better!
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

We've completely revamped the historical by by merging it with the roster db.

Long-term this was absolutely necessary to enable us to fix issues with the historical db and also to update data more easily.

Short-term though, it may mean that you'll see a few more bugs, where things got a bit weird during the merger process. You could see multiple players combined into one, players playing in the wrong years, perhaps more players missing birthplaces than previously.

We've already fixed a lot of these and will keep working on them. So when you find anything that looks off, please let us know here and that will be a big help in allowing us to work through things and get the data fully up to date to where we can start working on expanding things and working through the legacy bugs in the the data.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:43 PM   #3
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

This was a MAJOR project. Thank you for your hard work, Lukas. It is much appreciated.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #4
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Is there anything we can potentially do to perform database comparisons or otherwise check for these issues and help correct them? Are there certain eras or years where the merger issues might be more common? Are there any contexts where we should be looking?
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:23 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Is there anything we can potentially do to perform database comparisons or otherwise check for these issues and help correct them? Are there certain eras or years where the merger issues might be more common? Are there any contexts where we should be looking?
Hard to say exactly, as most of the more obvious stuff I think we've caught.

There are some stat linking issues with a very few players in certain years in the 19th century still that's on our to do list.

Other than that, hard to really pinpoint a specific era. The issue are more likely to crop up with minor league level data than MLB level, so if folks just check through years and teams they know well and see how that looks, that can help.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:19 PM   #6
szathkey
Minors (Double A)

It looks like the db is not importing place of birth correctly for Historical Players. Obviously I can't check the odb file, but in looking at the Master Excel Sheet, there is no state data and the cities appear to be wrong.
szathkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:34 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by szathkey View Post
It looks like the db is not importing place of birth correctly for Historical Players. Obviously I can't check the odb file, but in looking at the Master Excel Sheet, there is no state data and the cities appear to be wrong.
Yes, this is a legacy bug that the move to the combined db will eventually eradicate. Not quite there yet, but shouldn't be too much longer.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:38 PM   #8
szathkey
Minors (Double A)

Thanks Lukas...I know you said "more players missing birthplaces", but it was ALL for me. Appreciate the help!
szathkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by szathkey View Post
Thanks Lukas...I know you said "more players missing birthplaces", but it was ALL for me. Appreciate the help!
It's one of those things that had to get worse before it gets better.

We'll work on getting this sorted asap.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
ZigglarsTusk
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It seems like there is an issue (mostly involving the St. Louis Browns) where historical players have the wrong team assigned to them at certain points, which then affects which team is considered the player's Best Career Team.

For example, it looks like from 1901-1912 the Yankees franchise is mislabeled as the St. Louis Browns, meaning Willie Keeler shows up as a Browns/Orioles player in the Hall of Fame.

Additionally, players who actually played on the Browns have their career best team showing as the second-best career team (e.g. George Sisler shows up as a Brave). On Sisler's and others' stat pages the team is listed as "SL3" but there's no team name pop-up when hovered over.

There might be more examples of this, but these are the ones I noticed when scrolling through the Hall of Fame page.
ZigglarsTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigglarsTusk View Post
It seems like there is an issue (mostly involving the St. Louis Browns) where historical players have the wrong team assigned to them at certain points, which then affects which team is considered the player's Best Career Team.

For example, it looks like from 1901-1912 the Yankees franchise is mislabeled as the St. Louis Browns, meaning Willie Keeler shows up as a Browns/Orioles player in the Hall of Fame.

Additionally, players who actually played on the Browns have their career best team showing as the second-best career team (e.g. George Sisler shows up as a Brave). On Sisler's and others' stat pages the team is listed as "SL3" but there's no team name pop-up when hovered over.

There might be more examples of this, but these are the ones I noticed when scrolling through the Hall of Fame page.
This is in the roster set? (starting a season in 2023)

Old 03-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #12
ZigglarsTusk
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
This is in the roster set? (starting a season in 2023)
Ah, sorry. I assumed because it was involving something historical it must be related to the historical database. Should I re-post in the 2023 roster set issues thread?
ZigglarsTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:23 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigglarsTusk View Post
Ah, sorry. I assumed because it was involving something historical it must be related to the historical database. Should I re-post in the 2023 roster set issues thread?
Nah, that's fine. It's all inter-related now anyway.

I just was trying to determine where the problem is because the potential fixes are different.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:40 AM   #14
lloydchristmas
Bat Boy

Getting a few wonky ratings on some historical guys!

Babe Ruth past 1921 is showing some wrecked contact numbers-- when uploading him as like 1923 or 1927 he keeps showing in the 20-40 range (and shows up as a SP despite not pitching those years, so his OVR is 20 despite other decent hitting stats). Hovering over his name also only shows 1921 as the last year, regardless if you're importing years after that, if that's somehow connected?

And Fred Dunlap's iconic 1884 year seems to be missing. His stats are effectively gone if uploading that season (11 CON, 4 GAP, 3 POW etc. for a guy normally off-the-charts good-- all on 1-100 scale, 100% scouting).

When uploading him as 1885 with "Keep selected season statistics in player career stats" it goes from 1883 to 1885, skipping that entirely. Might be the sim misreading the UA as a minor league? Other minors seasons (like Jackie in '46) also don't show up in the career stats, so could be related?

For reference: Importing to custom game, 1955 historical settings, everything set up same as in OOTP 23.

Thanks for looking into any of it and creating a great game, and apologies in advance if any of this is user error! lol
lloydchristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:39 AM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydchristmas View Post
Getting a few wonky ratings on some historical guys!

Babe Ruth past 1921 is showing some wrecked contact numbers-- when uploading him as like 1923 or 1927 he keeps showing in the 20-40 range (and shows up as a SP despite not pitching those years, so his OVR is 20 despite other decent hitting stats). Hovering over his name also only shows 1921 as the last year, regardless if you're importing years after that, if that's somehow connected?
It's likely there's some specific combination of settings making something weird here, but we need as much info as possible to figure out what might be going on, particularly the specific settings for this game, major only, majors with minors, any settings you've changed from the default and particularly focusing on what recalc values you're using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydchristmas View Post
And Fred Dunlap's iconic 1884 year seems to be missing. His stats are effectively gone if uploading that season (11 CON, 4 GAP, 3 POW etc. for a guy normally off-the-charts good-- all on 1-100 scale, 100% scouting).

When uploading him as 1885 with "Keep selected season statistics in player career stats" it goes from 1883 to 1885, skipping that entirely. Might be the sim misreading the UA as a minor league? Other minors seasons (like Jackie in '46) also don't show up in the career stats, so could be related?
There are some issues with some 1884 stats not being properly linked because some teams are not in the db. This is pretty high on my list of something to get to.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #16
lloydchristmas
Bat Boy

Quote:
There are some issues with some 1884 stats not being properly linked because some teams are not in the db. This is pretty high on my list of something to get to.
Ah okay! Just checked on some other 1884 guys we'd uploaded (like Pud Galvin, Hugh Daily) and that def seems to be the case (1883 showing up as their last season, ratings crashed).

Good luck figuring it out!

Quote:
It's likely there's some specific combination of settings making something weird here, but we need as much info as possible to figure out what might be going on, particularly the specific settings for this game, major only, majors with minors, any settings you've changed from the default and particularly focusing on what recalc values you're using.
Will try to articulate what we changed from default even though not I'm not an OOTP expert lol.
  • Created a custom Fictional League (1 sub league, 2 divisions, 12 teams)
  • Majors only, no Minor Leagues
  • 1955 Standard Settings (no Inaugural Fantasy Draft)
  • Scouting:
    --Accuracy switch to 100%
    --Ratings scales to 1-100
    --Overall Ratings from Stars to 20-80
    --After league creation, we check the box to allow viewing values that exceed the max
  • No automatic evolution of the league
  • Play in Commissioner Mode
Once league is set up, we cleared rosters of all fictional players and deleted them from the Transactions tab.

Then uploaded from historical_database.odb our own .txt of historical players in "LahmanID,year" format (with "Include player(s) in minor league database" and "Keep selected season's statistics in player career stats" checked).

...where Babe Ruth consistently comes out with some low contact numbers and the "1921 as last season" issue, even when trying to upload him individually (from a .txt or entering his info into the import screen).

There are some other players with a rating or two abnormally low from prior years-- but now it often shows a rating more in line with what they were in OOTP23 as "potential," where conceivably they could return to that level over a season. BUT the Babe isn't like this (he seems locked into that low CON number). Chalked the other players up to the new sim, like, calculating Deadball guys a little differently but it could def be how we set up the league.

Anyway thanks for looking into this at all. Love this sim and it's wild how many things you can do with it, can't imagine the complexity you deal with here lol. Appreciate the work you do!

Last edited by lloydchristmas; 03-22-2023 at 09:20 AM.
lloydchristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 AM   #17
ontheone
Bat Boy

I am having an issue that I just cannot understand in historical mode. I like to create saves in a particular year using random players from all eras and then completing an inaugural fantasy draft. In OOTP 24 when I do this, the vast majority of the players in the original draft pool have 114 years service time. This really messes up the financials and is not what I am looking for. Is this a bug or am I doing things wrong?

When I would create this type of save in '23 and earlier versions. I would get guys at random ages and service time levels. The service times would all make sense though and would never be 114 years(or some crazy high number). I am probably missing something but I need help!
ontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #18
ontheone
Bat Boy

Upon Further review - there are players with service time levels from 0-14 years and then it jumps to 114/115 years for a very large section of the player pool. This is only when starting a save using random players from all years and then starting an inaugural fantasy draft. There seems like there is a hiccup somewhere in this mess.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheone View Post
I am having an issue that I just cannot understand in historical mode. I like to create saves in a particular year using random players from all eras and then completing an inaugural fantasy draft. In OOTP 24 when I do this, the vast majority of the players in the original draft pool have 114 years service time. This really messes up the financials and is not what I am looking for. Is this a bug or am I doing things wrong?

When I would create this type of save in '23 and earlier versions. I would get guys at random ages and service time levels. The service times would all make sense though and would never be 114 years(or some crazy high number). I am probably missing something but I need help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheone View Post
Upon Further review - there are players with service time levels from 0-14 years and then it jumps to 114/115 years for a very large section of the player pool. This is only when starting a save using random players from all years and then starting an inaugural fantasy draft. There seems like there is a hiccup somewhere in this mess.
I guess this is a bug. We'll try to recreate this and fix it up if we can do so.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #20
ontheone
Bat Boy

Quote:
I guess this is a bug. We'll try to recreate this and fix it up if we can do so.

Okay, thanks, I would super grateful if you guys can fix this up.