Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Pt20 random

After just getting swept in a 4 game series against a team that has just 1 player GOLD or higher, with lineup & pitchers consisting of 60's & 50's rated player sweep me by the combined score of 39-6 i'm more convinced that PT 20 is just a random game. My team has nothing below a GOLD & 2 Diamonds. We played before and we split. But I'll never spend another penny on a game where it's not advantageous to improve RATING wise. If this was a actually what you see is what you get game I'd feel much better about it. But it like playing Roulette....no stratery needed or required. All that's required is 10 pitchers & 15 hitters in order to play the game. Can someone PLEASE explain the purpose of having ratings on cards.I can only say it's cosmetic at best. I can't believe I've spent money on a game to try to improve my team. PLEASE expalin me why ratings are needed on cards? Does it portray skills of player? What does a number on a card really mean? LIke Does the card year suppose to refelect the year the player played. How is a 94 Josh Donaldson & a 75 Donaldson card of the same year different? Not sure those even exists but just trying to get answers on why cards perform like they do?
I'm not expecting much but a tongue lashing at me & dont try to tell me you got to learn the cards. I've been doing this since it started. Done my own ways to figure things out...Just tired of the BS within the game

BB
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

for some reason the Dodgers haven't won a world series since 1988

sometimes baseball doesn't follow the odds. if all it took to win all the time was money, then there'd be no point for any of us free to play players to even bother
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Argonaut
All Star Starter

The Orioles have managed to win 19 games this year despite fielding mostly Bronze and Iron players in Perfect Team parlance. That includes beating the Yankees in their first series. If you look at results on a series-by-series basis you'll only drive yourself crazy.

Baseball and Perfect Team do tend to even out over time. Card value does matter for some things (i.e. quicksell value), but otherwise... yes, you have to look at the individual ratings and see how they would work in your park and on your team.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Can at least post your complaints in the right forum

Basically, anything can happen in a few games. Even the absolute best teams can't win more than about 140 games in a season. So even if you have a "True Talent" team that wins 85% of their games, the odds of them being swept in a 4-game series is 0.05%. But with 10000 teams in the PT universe, and a full season being simmed every week, basically that's bound to happen at some point.

In fact, looking at the stats, I'm actually shocked it's not more random than it is. The individual PT20 HR leader has 64 in a season - again, with the number of teams out there, I almost feel like someone should have gone crazy by this point and hit like 80 in a season.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
After just getting swept in a 4 game series against a team that has just 1 player GOLD or higher, with lineup & pitchers consisting of 60's & 50's rated player sweep me by the combined score of 39-6 i'm more convinced that PT 20 is just a random game. My team has nothing below a GOLD & 2 Diamonds. We played before and we split. But I'll never spend another penny on a game where it's not advantageous to improve RATING wise. If this was a actually what you see is what you get game I'd feel much better about it. But it like playing Roulette....no stratery needed or required. All that's required is 10 pitchers & 15 hitters in order to play the game. Can someone PLEASE explain the purpose of having ratings on cards.I can only say it's cosmetic at best. I can't believe I've spent money on a game to try to improve my team. PLEASE expalin me why ratings are needed on cards? Does it portray skills of player? What does a number on a card really mean? LIke Does the card year suppose to refelect the year the player played. How is a 94 Josh Donaldson & a 75 Donaldson card of the same year different? Not sure those even exists but just trying to get answers on why cards perform like they do?
I'm not expecting much but a tongue lashing at me & dont try to tell me you got to learn the cards. I've been doing this since it started. Done my own ways to figure things out...Just tired of the BS within the game

BB

How fun would it be if the more talented team won every game? It would mean teams like my f2p team in Perfect would go 0-162. You say that no strategy is needed or required, yet a team with significantly less talent beat you. Thank goodness that this game actually involves strategy and not just assembling a team loaded with perfects.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
Kushiel
All Star Starter

There are probably many better managers than you that can and will beat you with a lesser team. They know OVR means nothing in the greater scheme of PT. That is why many Perfect Level teams are using an OVR 69 LH batter catcher. He simply gets the job done.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
chazzycat
All Star Starter

this game is sooooo NOT random. Try employing some strategies...my thread has some good ideas of how to build teams in 3 different ways. All three of my teams are in diamond/perfect only spending very small amounts of money. So yeah strategies definitely work...
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Posts like OP's is why I enjoy playing F2P games to a certain extent. I like my food salty.

Last edited by Goliathus; 06-05-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
rtkretz
Minors (Double A)

Lol

Saltier than Zaxby's fries

rtkretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
joehart
All Star Starter

1. Take a close look at your opponent and their infield players. Very often, you will find players like Belanger, Marion, Aparicio, who all train to some of the highest defensive stats in the game. They are just Bronze level players.

2. Take a look at your players and see where your strength is. Do you make a lot of contact? Hit lots of HRs? Walk a lot?

It you are focused on power and your opponent sets their ballpark to .900 HR, you start off with a slight disadvantage. If their pitchers have very high movement, your chance of scoring goes even lower.

3. Also, if you send in an exhausted team (all relievers tired), you can get into a situation where you give up a lot of extra runs.
So it makes sense to ensure you have extra pitchers in your bullpen depending on your starters and the overall stamina level.

Rest assured, the higher you go, the more money makes a difference. The top teams in the league are filled with the absolute best of the best legend players.

Winning is a combination of strategy, good players, and baseball math.
I would argue that most of the losses can be explained after looking at the boxscore and the overall team.
But sometimes your better team also takes a loss against a terrible team.
Look at all the teams this year that lost to the Mariners during the first month.

I find the most important part of the game is to invest wisely. My two boys (9/10) look at other teams all season long and keep track of the players that do well year after year and are in the top in your league statistics (offense and defense).
They waited almost 5 weeks and played casually while making some generic player investments (pitchers with high movement/high control but lower stuff). Then they grabbed the players they really wanted and it helped them move from Iron to Diamond.

They may not have been among the fastest moving up but they made a lot fewer mistakes than myself who swapped in a lot more players because of their names and my fondness of them (...go figure...outsmarted by the young ones in the family).

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Last edited by <Pion>; 06-05-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Already covered
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Big Train
Major Leagues

I find a lot of the modern players are over-rated by the game, sure they theoretically have 90 power or something but if they have 50 contact and a very low avoid Ks rating they are gonna have trouble even Rob Deer'ing it up against good pitching. I will take select silver players and even bronze players over some of those gold guys especially if they also bring good defense at a key position and get on base a lot.
Big Train is offline   Reply With Quote