Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
diesel230
All Star Reserve

Career ending injury unrealistic

On May 17th Carlos Beltran dives for a ball and is injured on the play. After the game its known that he tore his labrum, will never play baseball again and is released by the Cardinals.

I LOVE the game but must say i find it unrealistic that with career ending injuries, the day of the injury, it is known what the injury is, its known that the players career is over and the player is released all in the same day.

Couldn't it take a few days for some of the injury information, just like the other more severe injuries in the game? Could it be implemented that the player stays with the team on the dl, maybe some news reports throughout the year about the players status before he announces his retirement due to the injury?
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I have always maintained that career ending injuries should not exist at all. Instead, a players skills should just diminish to the point where the player will likely either be released or retire, just like other players with poor ratings. As it stands now, injuries can and do affect players' ratings....why should CEIs be any different?
PSUColonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

A Torn Labrum seems to be way to common in the game when i don;t see it nearly as much IRL. I have seen at least 5 players in my 2004 season retire due to a torn labrum.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

If I remember correctly, didn't a prior edition of OOTP include the ability to disable CEIs? Maybe around 5 years ago.

Or, maybe I'm thinking that, back then, someone posted a workaround that involved just removing them from the injury database.
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy26wc View Post
If I remember correctly, didn't a prior edition of OOTP include the ability to disable CEIs? Maybe around 5 years ago.

Or, maybe I'm thinking that, back then, someone posted a workaround that involved just removing them from the injury database.
not the point, it really needs to be re-implemented in a similar manner to the one I described above.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Injuries can be edited by going into your OOTP Baseball files and editing the appropriate file. You can effectively eliminate career ending injuries by eliminating the chance that the relevant injuries can become career ending.

Also, you can adjust the injury diagnosis settings when you create a game or after you've started one. This can be done within OOTP. I would assume that this applies to CEI just like any other, but I could be wrong. I prefer to know the diagnoses immediately, so I turn off the delay.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
not the point, it really needs to be re-implemented in a similar manner to the one I described above.
Needs to? Like no middle ground, your way is the law?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
oh brother
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Please stop doing this.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
I have always maintained that career ending injuries should not exist at all. Instead, a players skills should just diminish to the point where the player will likely either be released or retire, just like other players with poor ratings. As it stands now, injuries can and do affect players' ratings....why should CEIs be any different?
I agree with this proposal. Also, it might be nice if there was the rare case of a player having a successful long term rehab and having a ratings rebound two or three years later.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Just go into commish mode and edit the player CEI to your preference.

Usually if I think a CEI is unrealistic, I just edit the injury, player history and news story.

Simple fix.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

If you are seeing them a lot, it may just be (bad) luck.

I have played through six seasons now and the only one I have had on my team is a minor league player... not even a major prospect.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Just chachange frequency of injuries settings if you don't like it.... for me its more of a channge and forces me to goto my minor league crop or FA
I am happy with it even with the 4 of my best players go down for 4 to 6 months
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Please stop doing this.
This? You make it sound like I have a series of posts where i'm the problem... That seems kind of ironic...

Anyway, I'm just saying that there should be something of a middle ground between some and none. I think the Blue Jays pitcher from last week would agree that a career ending injury can be realized sooner than going through rehab. Sure he's 40 or so, but the fact that he was crying on the mound because of the injury shows that he has knowledge that he's more than likely never coming back.

But I'm probably wrong.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
Postman
Major Leagues

Quote:
I don't know. It seems realistic to me.

I've had only minor shoulder problems, and they're bad enough, but I've known athletes that have gone through shoulder reconstruction surgery, and it's not pleasant. The pain is considerable. And those guys weren't pitchers!

So, it's possible that a pitcher just can't throw through the pain, i.e. he just can't play anymore. It's not a trivial injury either. If the shoulder just explodes, repair may not be possible:

Quote:
The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds the glenoid or the "socket" portion of the shoulder joint and actually serves to enhance shoulder joint stability. When torn, the labrum can catch, causing the shoulder to be painful and potentially feel unstable. The biceps tendon has an attachment to the labrum, so if the biceps is involved, it can lead to problems at the labrum. The labrum undergoes great strain where it attaches to the biceps at the extremes of motion, when the shoulder is at its fully cocked position before ball delivery, and at the end of ball release (during follow through). Since a pitcher repeats that motion time and again -- not only during a game but also during warm-ups, bullpen sessions and any other episode of throwing -- the labrum is constantly subject to stress. Surgical repair may be the eventual treatment in a thrower who does not respond to a period of rest and conservative rehabilitation, and the recovery is lengthy. Pitchers do return from labral repair, but their timetable to return and their effectiveness when they do come back is variable.
-- Common injuries to pitchers and hitters - Fantasy Baseball - ESPN

Last edited by Postman; 06-04-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This? You make it sound like I have a series of posts where i'm the problem.
Please stop trying to start trouble. (This last post was, admittedly, a very subtle and clever second try.) Thank you.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I don't know. It seems realistic to me.

I've had only minor shoulder problems, and they're bad enough, but I've known athletes that have gone through shoulder reconstruction surgery, and it's not pleasant. The pain is considerable. And those guys weren't pitchers!

So, it's possible that a pitcher just can't throw through the pain, i.e. he just can't play anymore. It's not a trivial injury either. If the shoulder just explodes, repair may not be possible:

-- Common injuries to pitchers and hitters - Fantasy Baseball - ESPN
Shoulder injuries are awful and complicated. If surgery isn't required, then painful physical therapy is, including such modern tortures as dry needling and A/STYM. A torn rotator cuff or labrum can be excruciating, keeping you awake at night and only allowing you to sleep on one side. If surgery is required, the days following the surgery are screaming agony, followed by weeks of pain because having the surgery means that you have to have physical therapy afterwards. Shoulders are a terrible thing to injure - in my experience worse and more painful than anything but knees.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

And, because somebody will ask, I've had two torn rotator cuffs, one torn labrum, one broken collarbone, and one broken shoulderblade.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #19
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

Quote:
And, because somebody will ask, I've had two torn rotator cuffs, one torn labrum, one broken collarbone, and one broken shoulderblade.
I'll see yours and go for two rotator cuff tares, a torn ligament in the elbow, a torn ACL, MCL and at least three of the five ligaments in each ankle, to go along with traumatic arthritis in the knee with the torn ACL and MCL because I tore the cartilage in the knee at the same time. I have had a good bit of fun so far!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
keeping you awake at night and only allowing you to sleep on one side.
Sounds like being in bed with the little old lady.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote