Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Curveball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

From Germany to... the Reds, at the moment

Hi folks, this is going to be my first Dynasty Report. And I will not hook it onto a single franchise. Let me know what you think of it and always give me hints what could be better

09/24/2019
"Again? That must be the... fourth time in three days. How am I expected to maintain a good season if you keep taking my players away and send me crap?" I asked, tired and slowly waking up.
"What? Yes, Sir, I do understand you. You know what you do and it's not my job. Alright. Bye!"
I hung up. What does he think who he is? Sure, he is the Braves' GM, but well, he took over this job just a year ago. So nothing to brag about. And he knows what he does? Of course...

And I? Who was I to question him? Well, I am just a German who came over the pond 5 years ago to take over the Atlanta Braves Gulf Coast League team. And I think I did quite good. Good enough to get a promotion directly to the Mississippi Braves, the Double-A team. And I ot them a playoff berth, albeit that material Mr. Hart gave me. I seemed to have done a godd job, as he sent me as manager to the Gwinnett Braves, so I made it up the Triple-A league wthin 3 years.

And here I am stuck. I try to do my best, try to keep a winning record recommend myself for higher stakes. And my players weren't that bad. They get called up to MLB quite often. But that douchebag sends them down three days later, just to call them up again two weeks later.And I have to adjust my lineups every 3 days. And the pitching lineup as well. Oh, the pitching lineup... What shall I do with a single SP and 9 RP?

'OK, time for a change!' I say to myself. If they don't all me up after this season I should look smewhere else. But I love the Braves. Should I really give up? I guess I have no choice if I want to proceed. 3 years at AAA-level are enough, especially if you have a winning record. But who would employ a guy like me? It has to be an MLB club, thats for sure. I will wait if the Braves want me. If not, the Offseason will bring some news.

11/01/2019
I am sitting at the breakfast table reading the newspaper. Nice comic they have here. I grin. Then the sports page. Oh. The Reds fired their GM and said they are looking for an successor. Should I? Things haven't worked out with the Braves yet. No offer to step up to the big show. So I guess its time to take the next step. So i grab the phone and call the Reds front office.

"Hi, this is Steven Kane speaking. Yeah, exactly that Steven Kane. I am surprised you know my name. Oh yes, that's why I am calling. Is there any chance I could get an appointment with him? When? Anytime, the season is over, right? Tomorrow? Sure, I'll be there. Should I bring a resume? Oh, of course... If you haven't heard of me, I would be no option at all. Right, I got that. Who would apply for a GM job in the MLB wihtout experience and a record? Yes, ma'am, I'm finished, sorry for holding you up."
So, where is this Cincinnati, anyway? Didn't I have a map somewhere?

11/02/2019
Well, that was quite relaxed. At least from my point of view. Just a standard interview as you would have in the business world. 'What are your plans? What can you bring to the team? Why do you want to switch franchises?' and that stuff. I think I did great. Well, I'll see in a couple of days, when they decide. They have other options on the table as well, so this might take some time.

11/09/2019
"When? This afternoon? I'll try to get a ticket and then I'll be with you soon! Oh, you have the ticket already? Thats great. So see you later!" I hung up. They want me to be there this afternoon. That can only mean they want to sign me as GM. I speed to my bedroom and fill my suitcase with stuff I might need the next days. Then I rush to the airport and sure enough there is a ticket for me waiting. Business class. Things start great.

11/10/2019
My first press conference! I've seen the newspapers this morning. "Kane hired! Kane... WHO?", "Reds go with Kane!", "Things will be better with Kane!" and such. Even the portier at the hotel looked at me and seemed more friendly than yesterday. This is a good sign, right?
Robert Castellini, the owner, met me shortly before this press conference. "Everything will be fine, just relax!" he said. Thats easy to say if you're a pro with decades of media experience. I was a newbie on that area, but when I stepped up to the podium and took a seat right next to him, everything smoothed out. I grinned into the crowd of reporters, as Robert introduced me...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce that our search for a new GM has come to an end this quickly. We have decided to engage Steven Kane, former manager of the Gwinett Braves. He may not bee that famous, but his record and his strategy impressed us and we are sure he will led the Reds to a higher level. Any questions so far?"
Hands rose immediately. "Sharon, please!", Robert pointed to the lady in the first row.

"Thank you, Robert. This is definitely not what we or the public expected. What makes you think he is better than the other options you had?"
Ouch. That hurt. I can't imagine a more rude way to tell that I am not experienced enough... But Robert kept cool:"Sharon, you know that it is not always about records or plain numbers. It is also about the future. Steven has convinced us with his managing style, but I am sure he will tell you more himself. Right, Steven?" He looked at me. Was I expected to talk now? Huh...
"Yes, thank you Robert. See, I might be coming from the minors, but during my 5 years there I have learned a lot about player abilities and strategies. I had to cope with more fluctuation than any of the MLB-GMs had to, I'm sure. So I am convinced that, with a deep analysis of the Strength' and Weaknesses of our roster, we will be able to pull the right triggers to improve our record and be a contender pretty soon. Speaking of analysis, I want to emphasize that I don't bet on great names, I go for abilities. So I guess I am a Sabermetrics guy, I listen to what numbers tell me." I leaned back. Wow, I was in a flow. What's next?

"Jerry Harper, Cincinnati Daily. Mr. Kane, why did you leave the Braves? They are a pretty good organisation and it looks lilke you are, well, running away?"
"Well, I guess you are right. It looks like I ran away. And in some way I really did. It was time for a step forward. I am ready to take the wheels. I want to define, what material I am working with. I think everyone prefers working with the tools he choses, not the ones that someone gives to you. Give a carpenter a scissor and tell him to create a table with it. Won't work, right? I prefer being a carpenter having a hammer instead of a scissor. Mr. Castellini wants a new table, and I intend to create him the best one around." Oh, I love my analogies.

"Alright folks, I think that's it for today. Feel free to come back next week to our regular press conference." Robert finished that press conference and we went to lunch.

Now I am sitting with him in my new GM office and we are talking about the goals. They are pretty easy:
- Have a winning record next season
- have 24.000 visitors per game
- improve the draft record
- reach the playoffs by 2023

I think that is easy. Then he tells me that I should get some new personnel. I take a look at the vacancies and call around to get new coaching staff aboard. I hired a new hitting coach, a new pitching coach and a new team trainer. Oh, and an assistant GM as well. This guy makes almost as much money as I do. Is he worth it? Am I worth it?

The first thing I do as Robert left was an intense analysis of the player material the Reds have.
I immediately figure out some guys are pulling down the team average and so I decide to trade them away. I actually shop them around and hope some one wants them.
Bingo, I got good deals for most of them.

11/29/2019
The first two weeks are in the books and I feel confident that we will improve our record next season.
I am still checking the roster, but at the moment it looks quite good.

So, today I will check the upcoming rule 5 draft eligibilities and the arbitration costs.

But first, I need to have a break. This day was awesome so far, can't wait for the evening to come.
Curveball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Welcome to America!

As the Reds are my favorite team, I hope you are very successful in your new job!
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Curveball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

12/05/2019

Today has been a good day. After the rule 5 draft (where I haven't picked anyone) and the salary arbitration hearings (where most decisions went in my favor) the Free Agency Filing was today.
SP Jose Quintana, RP Glen Perkins, 3B Ruben Tejada and SP James Russell were the only MLB players on the Reds list and all of them weren't required anymore, as I have decided based on my analysis. Seeing James Russell leave might upset the fans a bit, but I can't help it. He is way below my requirements. His stamina seems to be good for 2 IP at best, which isn't enough for an SP.

In total I hope to get $12m free salary space by releasing all 4 of them, which I would like to invest in a good... Well, where do i see the weaknesses of my team?

Well, good are: Catcher, Second Base, Left Field and Closer.
There is a lot to improve, then. I think I will go for good RPs, as a good game stands or falls with the quality of the Pitchers.

While I read first messages of players filing for FA, I get a call from Steve Liddle, GM of Kansas City. He offers us CF Ender Inciarte for Brenden Webb and $1.6m cash. I check if Ender would fit in... Checked, and agreed. He might remove my weakness at Centerfield. At least he is a better batter than Randolph, but defensively slightly worse. Anyway, I agree and send my 4th RF in exchange for a 3rd CF, who can also play Left Field. I hope this one pays out.

While reading this chart, I fire up my database and check for Pitchers with a good potential, as I would need them for longer. Bingo, Jairo Pacheco from the LA Dodgers seems a good match, and he is just 23. I call Andrew Friedman, the GM of the Dodgers and ask him, if he would trade away Pacheco. He would, and when I ask him which player he would like to get, he throws a lot of names at me... I go for Sal Romano, who is, at least regarding to my own analysis, my worst RP. Andrew says he has no problem with that, so we agree on that deal. Perfect. I would just later realise that Pacheco is an SP, no RP as I thought. Well, he made it directly into my rotation.

We seem to still miss a starter, so I check which RP I don't need anymore, and my choice falls on Andy Beltre. I shop him around and Brandon Hyde of the Brewers offers me... Kendry Flores, an 28 y/o SP with quite good stats. We agree on the deal and I check where to put him on my rotation. He goes on second, and my pitching coach suggests that instead of removing RP Evan Mitchell from the rotation I should move Pacheco to the setup role. I check the stamina values and, no, Mitchell should go, as he would probably have just 2 or 3 innings before he's exhausted.

I lean back and think... That should have been enough trading, right? I let 15 players go and acquired 9 in return. And I still have to make a choice what will be my line up once the regular seasons starts. Well, I got enough time to check that, enough for today.

12/20/2019
Today I made some more trades.
RP Nick Howard and CF Heathcott went to the Cardinals in exchange for RP Mateo. Mateo might not be the big hit right now, but my scout says he got potential. So we hope for the best. The Rotation and Bullpen are adjusted accordingly.

main reason for this trade was to get Heathcott off the payroll, as he was taking $3.6m but wasn't worth it. At least I think he wasn't worth it, as he lost his starter place.

But now trading should be done, except someone offers us a great deal. X-Mas is coming, I should get some presents. And I should visit my parents. Or should they visit me this year, as it is going to be my first X-Mas as GM of an MLB-team?

I'll talk to them later. I have to go shopping now. No, no players, but christmas presents...
Old 04-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Curveball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

01/31/2020

The Pre-Season begins today. Two more month until Spring training and I think I got my team together.
Christmas vacation was quite nice, my parents came over and we had a lot of fun. I had to explain the MLB-system once more to my dad, and he asked me about this expansion stuff.

Yeah, expansion. That hit me in AAA already, when new farm teams appeared and rocked the league. I think they are the main reason why we just got 3rd place last year with Gwinnett. So the two new expansion teams were the
- Austin Retrievers, playing in the NL Central Division, just as the Reds,

- and the Indianapolis Seals, playing in the AL Central Division

Both teams had a negative record last year, which was their first season, and I am curious what they will show this year.

When checking my strength' and weaknesses again, I found out that we have improved, at least according to our scouting team.
We are now "green" at First and Second Base, the Left Field, and our Starting rotation as well as our Closer seem to be competitive now. And not to forget our Catcher, who dropped in some ratings, but still seems to be one of the best in the league.
What we definitely need to work on seems our Bullpen. I am on it.

I will create some short overview of my final staff and give it to my family, so they can check who is on field, when they watch the games at home.

02/20/2020
Today I called Jeff Bridich of the Colorado Rockies and asked if we could trade for 24 y/o RP Grant Dyer, I think this guy has a nice career ahead of him and we need improvement in our Bullpen. Jeff agreed and we exchanged RP Evan Mitchell for Grant Dyer. I think that is a great trade. I sent him down Florida State League, though.

03/01/2020
Spring Training begins and I face the Phillies today.
Lineups and rotations are all set, so let the party begin.

03/02/2020
The game yesterday was a 9-6 win.
The game was tied 3-3 when we went into the 8th inning, then both teams scored 3 runs, making it 6-6 at the end of the 8th.
We had the top of the ninth and were facing pitcher Joely Rodriguez. Joe Hudson hit a double, Quinton Rolle hits a double, and while doing so, Hudson goes for home and makes the run. My catcher Gomez hits for a Home Run and we lead 9-6.
My Closer Moises Gomez strikes out the first, sends the second to base on balls. #3 Flies out, #4 singles and #5 flies out again and retires the side (and ends the game).

The next game will be against Colorado.

03/03/2020
Yesterdays Game: A 4-7 loss to Colorado. Kendry Flores is the starting pitcher and produces a Grand Slam in the 2nd Inning, causing the manager to replace him

San Diego is up next.

03/04/2020
A 3-8 loss yesterday. After a 2-run Home Run in 4th we lead 3-1, but in the sixth our Pitcher Nick Christiani (came in for Nola in the 5th already) produces 2 Home Runs, is replaced by Michael Lorenzen and Lorenzen first makes the count full and then gives up 2 runs. Score is 3-5.
3 batters later the next pitcher comes in, Julio Mateo, with all bases loaded. His results: a Strike, then a double from the next pitcher and all three bases run home. 3-8 now. I can't believe it. Looks like my Pitching staff isn't as good as expected.

Arizona comes up next.

03/05/2020
Arizona beats us 2-3, but it takes 13 ininngs to do so. Homer Bailey was the starter and went into 8 innings. throwing 120 pitches.

We take on Washington today.

03/06/2020
We won against Washington 8-2, but lost RP Lorenzen for a week and I placed him on the DL (for 2 weeks). Stupid thing I guess.
The game itself was nice. We took the earl lead in the first and extended it to 4-0 in the 5th. Washington scores once in the the 7th and 8th, but we scored 4 runs in the 8th and Christiani striked out one in the 9th and 2 flew out, so the 2nd win of Spring Training is ours.
That brings us to 2-3.

The Cubs are next.

03/07/2020
We came home from Chicago with a win, 5-2.
Shipley struck out 9 and all 5 Runs of the Reds came in inning 7. One Home Run from Paolini and a Grand Slam by Blandino. Nice work.

3-3 now and St. Louis will be up next.

The Yankees are looking for a new GM & Manager... Since 2 or 3 month already... Should I?
Nah! I just started here and formed the Reds, I won't leave until they kick me. Or the Braves call.

03/08/2020
We won 4-3 against the Cards yesterday. While we scored 4 runs out of 5 hits, the Cards hat 9 hits and produced just 3 points. Our defence seems to find together. Flores pitches all 9 ininngs and strikes out 12.

4-3 now and the Braves will face us next. Can't wait.