Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

We must have a non-save or go back/undo button

The one thing about this game that holds me back is there is no way to not save. I have to turn off the computer just to undo a mistake. These mistakes take hours and months sometimes years of work away. I just can't understand why there is no way to make it not save. I want to start a petition of who else would like this. Add a comment and lets see how many think we need this easy feature.

P.s. If there is a way to not save please tell me how and disregard my rant.
maximus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

What kind of mistakes are you talking about?
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

Well if I wanted to add a league or if You click a button and all the players are deleted or any common mistake that can be made.
This morning I added a high school league and everything was fine till somehow I deleted all the coaches from the entire league losing months of work. I had to turn off computer so It didn't save.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

There is a feature to create a backup of your current league, so if you make a mistake like this, you can just go an restore it from the save spot.

This thread from the OOTP 17 board probably should be moved over to this thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=267016
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

I know about the backup. There should be an easier way.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

I understand where you're coming from because I have forgotten to make a backup before I made a change to the league structure and lost a 15 year sim. Was a tough lesson to learn but I learned to create a backup before I make any change. The backup process is really simple, 4 of 5 clicks and you have a backup....same goes for restoring it.

In my opinion creating a Exit and Don't Save button opens the door for people to cheat by just pressing the button and have a do over because they didn't like the outcome of a game. I can see a big can of worms for online players accusing a commish for exploiting this if they go on a win streak or maybe win multiple championships.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 05-18-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Yeah you have to make a backup, because even if you execute everything exactly the way you plan it out, you can get 6 months out from it and decide you don't like the effect it's having on your game. So make a backup. Also, every time I make a major change like that, I copy my entire league folder to a cloud drive first, so if I decide I'm not happy with results I can just delete and copy paste.

Last edited by Charley575; 05-18-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typos
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
RedSox2000
Bat Boy

I'd rather have a function to quit out of a game when you are in the game sim. For instance when there's a glitch/bug and the other team let up 15 runs b/c they randomly put in their backup catcher
RedSox2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
HydroSqueegee
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ah yes, the whole sim through spring training to opening day and realize you have to put 13 guys on wavers to get the roster back down to 25 but it's opening day and your roster is at 39/25 players but can't move forward because you gave a game to play, can't move vets to AAA because they refuse so you're stuck until you go into commissioner mode to unscrew your screw up by editing all the waver guys to give them 1 more option year...

We really need a waver deadline reminder that triggers however many days wavers are set for to trim down the roster before opening day.
HydroSqueegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroSqueegee View Post
Ah yes, the whole sim through spring training to opening day and realize you have to put 13 guys on wavers to get the roster back down to 25 but it's opening day and your roster is at 39/25 players but can't move forward because you gave a game to play, can't move vets to AAA because they refuse so you're stuck until you go into commissioner mode to unscrew your screw up by editing all the waver guys to give them 1 more option year...

We really need a waver deadline reminder that triggers however many days wavers are set for to trim down the roster before opening day.
Just do it after your last ST game. There's usually 3 or 4 days between the last ST game and opening day.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
HydroSqueegee
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley575 View Post
Just do it after your last ST game. There's usually 3 or 4 days between the last ST game and opening day.
But when you forget and just mash the 'play until opening day' button, you get a jam. Need a trim your roster event or something to remind me.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

There's an auto-save function which is different from the backup function. It creates a second backup auto-save in your league's folder. You can set it to save daily if you want. Or weekly, monthly, whatever.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox2000 View Post
I'd rather have a function to quit out of a game when you are in the game sim. For instance when there's a glitch/bug and the other team let up 15 runs b/c they randomly put in their backup catcher
It's been my experience that this isn't random, but instead a result of the bullpen being exhausted. This especially happens if you have your settings such that the AI teams only keep a few relievers. Just one bad start from a starter, and they yank him early, and then burn up their whole bullpen, and then the next day I win 21-2 because they either pitch exhausted relievers or, as you say, bring in the back up catcher.

IMO the "weakness" of an "exhausted" pitcher is overdone... by quite a lot. Yeah he should be easier to get to than a fresh or just plain tired one, but it's seriously like throwing batting practice instead. I don't think that's what would happen IRL even with an "exhausted" reliever.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
I understand where you're coming from because I have forgotten to make a backup before I made a change to the league structure and lost a 15 year sim. Was a tough lesson to learn but I learned to create a backup before I make any change. The backup process is really simple, 4 of 5 clicks and you have a backup....same goes for restoring it.

In my opinion creating a Exit and Don't Save button opens the door for people to cheat by just pressing the button and have a do over because they didn't like the outcome of a game. I can see a big can of worms for online players accusing a commish for exploiting this if they go on a win streak or maybe win multiple championships.

Which is insane. But, why couldn't a commissioner pull the same thing off now by simply exiting an undesired sim without saving and replaying?
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

he hinted at a faster way, still a bit of a workaround compared to what you seek...

before you make a major change, hit "save" ..

in the event something goes wrong, the "auto-save" directory in your xxxx.lg directory will be that snapshot when you hit "save," above. it is much smaller and faster to copy/paste to the root-xxxx.lg directory for your league.

(<game directory>\data\saved_games\..)

if there is a need to advance more than a day or 3, you may want to use the backup feature instead. even if you do advance a day, it should lop off anythign post dated relative to what you copy back over from auto-save. sometimes moving the contents of the auto-save somewhere "safer" is a good idea too... depends on what you are doing.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
HydroSqueegee
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Long delayed double post? Whoops

Last edited by HydroSqueegee; 05-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

I still stand by my undo or do not save button. I get all the time consuming ways to do it. I just wish like every video game and other game this had a non save or start from last save or way to go to the main menu. I realize all the wild mistakes and exploits and yet I still will never understand why it does not have a easy way to just go back to the main screen and continue from last save or revert back to last save. It would give us way more flexibility to try things and see if things work. If I wanted to exploit I'll exploit any way.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

There should be a way, like for when i'm down 2 in the 9th, and the pitcher comes up with 2 men on, except I'm going too fast and I forget to pinch hit because I've been drinking; so that for the 85% of the time he does not get on base, I can just undo, instead of alt-ctrl-delete.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #19
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

You can still restore a save even if you have already made the mistake as long as you dont save again. Go to the saved games folder on your pc and zip it up. Should only take a couple of minutes. Then close OOTP, delete the save and unzip it again. It will be back at your last save. I find zips are the easiest way to manage backups.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus33 View Post
The one thing about this game that holds me back is there is no way to not save. I have to turn off the computer just to undo a mistake. These mistakes take hours and months sometimes years of work away. I just can't understand why there is no way to make it not save. I want to start a petition of who else would like this. Add a comment and lets see how many think we need this easy feature.

P.s. If there is a way to not save please tell me how and disregard my rant.
I don't think that's possible for a computer to do. Backup your .lg file if it's important to you.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote