Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:59 PM   #701
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Are the Bills an unfashionable team? One of the broadcaster's stated they aren't on prime time games that often, which brings me to another question, do the TV companies have to show teams in so many prime time games aka Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games. Like over here Sky had to, still may do show every football (soccer) team in the EPL a certain amount of times live, they show the big teams more but every team had to be shown live like 4 times a season.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #702
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Whoa! Shades of Scott Norwood there, only with a happy ending! A field goal made, that is, and a 16-7 lead. Hold on, Bills! Hold on.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #703
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Are the Bills an unfashionable team? One of the broadcaster's stated they aren't on prime time games that often, which brings me to another question, do the TV companies have to show teams in so many prime time games aka Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games. Like over here Sky had to, still may do show every football (soccer) team in the EPL a certain amount of times live, they show the big teams more but every team had to be shown live like 4 times a season.
I'm no media expert but I think it may have something to do with the size of the local market. Buffalo, New York is not one of our major cities.

- Bru

Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #704
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At one time, every team had to have a national game at least once (That included Mon & Sun night, Thnx, Thurs or one of the Sat games in the last 2 weeks). I don't know if the networks are still required to do that.

The fashionable teams are the ones that are "guaranteed" ratings grabbers. Those are Dallas, New England, Giants, Steelers. Those fan bases plus markets are large enough to be assured of solid ratings no matter how bad they are.

Then you have the teams that are normally good or have large enough fan bases to be safe ratings draws. That's Green Bay, Raiders, Seahawks, Eagles, Chicago, Saints and I would add Baltimore.

Broncos & Colts used to be in that tier. Jets are in a large enough market to maybe included w/the above.

Next are the group that aren't awful and can every once in a while get in an important game late in the season to draw attention. Those are the Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Texans, Rams, Chiefs, Vikings, Niners, Washington.

Last group are the teams that at the moment generate local interest only or haven't been good enough for networks to feel they warrant talking about. Bengals, Cards, Bucs, Bills, Lions, Jags, Dolphins, Titans. These teams are going to be on a national broadcast vs the 1st 2 tiers mentioned or a divisional contest vs another bottom tier team so the networks can kill 2 birds w/one stone.

Browns I can't categorize. For some reason they have a loyal fan base who will watch no matter what. They seem to draw national attention for some reason. And networks don't mind showing them. Despite the fact they have always stunk. They are the car wreck every body rubber necks to look at. Go figure.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #705
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

On another note, Dallas could be 6-6 and looks like it could be a 8-8 season, is Garrett gone if he doesn't make the play offs or if they do he needs at least 1 play off win. I mean 9 previous seasons, reached 3 play offs and won 2 play off games. My brother in law supports Liverpool and once told him they'd never win a championship with Benitez there then coach, they didn't, I feel that kind of thing with Garrett.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #706
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On another note, Dallas could be 6-6 and looks like it could be a 8-8 season, is Garrett gone if he doesn't make the play offs or if they do he needs at least 1 play off win. I mean 9 previous seasons, reached 3 play offs and won 2 play off games. My brother in law supports Liverpool and once told him they'd never win a championship with Benitez there then coach, they didn't, I feel that kind of thing with Garrett.
Garrett is gone if they don't go deep into the playoffs. If they win the division, I don't think that will be enough.

Dallas has gone on record that Garrett won't be fired during the season. And I normally agree with that because I think firing mid season doesn't accomplish anything. And it won't change your fate. However, the Boys, no matter what happens Sunday, will still be in 1st place. So the correct change could make a world of difference. Today's performance, with the backdrop of JJ's comments, tells a lot about Garrett's leadership. Whether he is to blame or not, this team didn't up its play under these circumstances. That speaks volumes with me. He can't affect this team under these conditions. Take the risk now and make a change.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #707
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Hey, hey, hey! Here's a game in which I can root for somebody (who may also win).

THE BUFFALO BILLS

Criteria:

1) They are a New York State team. Don't care that we are on opposite sides of said state. Go New York (state).!

2) They happen to be a decent team, who, unlike the Jets and Giants, may actually win if I root for them.

3) They are playing the Dallas Cowboys, a team that I don't like. I never say hate because I think that is overdone, but I don't like the Cowboys.

Go Bills! Sing the Buffalo Bills "Shout" Song!
Yes! I give thanks. I give thanks!

I watched a game involving a professional New York state team, and I enjoyed it. And they won!

(Take that, Jerry Jones, you toad. You didn't look so smug today, did you? Heh, got up and departed, frowning, with 1:28 left in the game.)

Maybe my curse has been lifted?

- Bru

Old 11-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #708
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Garrett is gone if they don't go deep into the playoffs. If they win the division, I don't think that will be enough.

Dallas has gone on record that Garrett won't be fired during the season. And I normally agree with that because I think firing mid season doesn't accomplish anything. And it won't change your fate. However, the Boys, no matter what happens Sunday, will still be in 1st place. So the correct change could make a world of difference. Today's performance, with the backdrop of JJ's comments, tells a lot about Garrett's leadership. Whether he is to blame or not, this team didn't up its play under these circumstances. That speaks volumes with me. He can't affect this team under these conditions. Take the risk now and make a change.
What's the depth pool in potential head coaches? Also on my tod, hence the questions do bigger teams ie Dallas ever go after another head coach in the NFL say a Tampa Bay head coach or is it down to assistant coaches or NCAA head coaches and assistants.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #709
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's the depth pool in potential head coaches? Also on my tod, hence the questions do bigger teams ie Dallas ever go after another head coach in the NFL say a Tampa Bay head coach or is it down to assistant coaches or NCAA head coaches and assistants.
You can't hire someone else's HC in the NFL unless you make a trade like the Bucs did for Gruden. You can hire a college HC, but many of the best have buyout clauses. Anyone else is fair game as long as it is seen as a move up. Ex: You can interview the off coordinator of another franchise for a HC job. But not for the off coordinator. And you can only interview them when their current team's playoff run ends or in a grace period the week after the regular season ends. Otherwise, you have to ask the other franchise for permission.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #710
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can't hire someone else's HC in the NFL unless you make a trade like the Bucs did for Gruden. You can hire a college HC, but many of the best have buyout clauses. Anyone else is fair game as long as it is seen as a move up. Ex: You can interview the off coordinator of another franchise for a HC job. But not for the off coordinator. And you can only interview them when their current team's playoff run ends or in a grace period the week after the regular season ends. Otherwise, you have to ask the other franchise for permission.
Yeah I forgot about Gruden, I was just wondering how often it happens but thinking very rare, Dallas 0-5 against teams with winning records.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #711
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all teams play on Thursday night. But in the past when there was only MNF, I know they never had games at stadiums that didn't sell out. They also would have bad teams on Monday night. For example, the 1989 and 1990 Cowboys did not get a Monday night game.

Quote:

This is one of the scenarios where a mid season firing might help. Similar to when they fired Wade Phillips back in 2010. If they stick it out with Garrett they are pretty much writing off this season.

Quote:
College coach Urban Meyer has already said he'd accept the job. I'm pretty sure it was him.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #712
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/50598045
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #713
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a hell of a three months.

The Bills are a team that has barely been on primetime for a couple reasons. When they made the playoffs a couple seasons ago, they became the last team in major American sports to have their first playoff berth in the 21st century. And of course they're not a big market (there's a reason there was talk of moving them to Toronto a few years ago). They're playing better than expectations this year (an easy schedule helps) and, considering they're built more around a strong defense and an offense that has done a bettee job in recent weeks with preventing mistakes, I don't think they'll get a ton of primetime games next year either unless they go on a deep run in the playoffs.

--------------------------

Still pulling for Dallas to go on some sort of run here. Anything to continue subjecting themselves to Jason Garrett.

Lastly, thanks for all the Thanksgiving wishes everyone! I hope my fellow Americans in here had a great Thanksgiving as well!

Last edited by damientheomen3; 11-29-2019 at 08:44 AM.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #714
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Cards DB Josh Shaw suspended indefinitely for betting on the NFL.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #715
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

How much of an occurrence is it in the NFL? Pretty regular over here specially cricket and football (soccer), a football coach this year was found out for betting on games. His excuse was something like he'd been working in another country and would put a bet on then when he moved back here he kept on betting or the likes.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #716
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...tball/50097011

This is the one, he only got 28 days.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #717
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How much of an occurrence is it in the NFL? Pretty regular over here specially cricket and football (soccer), a football coach this year was found out for betting on games. His excuse was something like he'd been working in another country and would put a bet on then when he moved back here he kept on betting or the likes.
Supposedly, it is very rare. I'm too much of a skeptic to believe it isn't happening a lot more than we've been led to believe. Sports gambling just became legal in many US states outside of Vegas. So that may have kept it from rearing its ugly head as much as it has in Europe. But IMO, it is like the steroid scandal in baseball. They know it's there, but they don't want to ask the questions to find out just how common it is.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #718
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Wow, they suspended this dude through next season.

What he did wrong was get caught. It would be so easy for these players to gamble if they wanted to. Almost impossible to get caught unless you open your mouth about it. They advertise right over the radio. First bet is reimbursed up to 500 dollars. What a way to suck people in.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #719
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Wow, they suspended this dude through next season.

What he did wrong was get caught. It would be so easy for these players to gamble if they wanted to. Almost impossible to get caught unless you open your mouth about it. They advertise right over the radio. First bet is reimbursed up to 500 dollars. What a way to suck people in.

Sports as a lot to answer to, no idea what it’s like stateside, I know there is little shirt sponsorship. However over here you have multiple teams with gambling and beer companies splashed all over the shirts players wear, what makes it worse you have young kids walking round with said shirts on like a billboard for said companies.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #720
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sports as a lot to answer to, no idea what it’s like stateside, I know there is little shirt sponsorship. However over here you have multiple teams with gambling and beer companies splashed all over the shirts players wear, what makes it worse you have young kids walking round with said shirts on like a billboard for said companies.
That's one reason why it took so long for teams to start doing it here. But as we all know, the chance to make money will always eventually trump any semblance of morality if you are a CEO.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance