Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
ThePotato
Minors (Rookie Ball)

iOOTP 2012

So you guys have been talking loosely about an iOOTP 2012 for quite some time. I spent money on 2011 and have been enjoying it a lot. Will iOOTP be a brand new app, or will it just be an app update? Because I'm not spending $5 a year for more or less the same game with new rosters.
ThePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
So you guys have been talking loosely about an iOOTP 2012 for quite some time. I spent money on 2011 and have been enjoying it a lot. Will iOOTP be a brand new app, or will it just be an app update? Because I'm not spending $5 a year for more or less the same game with new rosters.
Wow...less than 50 cents a month for a game that you can play whenever you want and you're complaining?

Back in my day we shoved quarters in arcade machines by the pocket full just so that we could play for the afternoon and we were happy to do so.

Kids these days.

Last edited by CD1083; 10-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
JayWigley
Minors (Double A)

Given the new iPhone's processor capabilities, I'd love to see iOOTP 2012 remove the old 3G support and require the 3GS or above, thereby incorporating additional features from the desktop OOTP.

I'd love to see more options for league set-up (many more configurations of teams and leagues and divisions), optional financials for historical leagues (or any league really), additional in-game maneuverings via incorporation of pitch-by-pitch during games (optional on a per-batter basis), and so forth.

I'd gladly pay another $5 for that!
JayWigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
ThePotato
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWigley View Post
Given the new iPhone's processor capabilities, I'd love to see iOOTP 2012 remove the old 3G support and require the 3GS or above, thereby incorporating additional features from the desktop OOTP.

I'd love to see more options for league set-up (many more configurations of teams and leagues and divisions), optional financials for historical leagues (or any league really), additional in-game maneuverings via incorporation of pitch-by-pitch during games (optional on a per-batter basis), and so forth.

I'd gladly pay another $5 for that!
Appealing only to the new 4S audience would leave out every other customer they have, which are the vast majority. If they do incorporate enough desktop OOTP features to make it worth it, I'd consider it. I just hope they won't pull a Madden, if you know what I mean...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
ThePotato
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chase Davis View Post
Wow...less than 50 cents a month for a game that you can play whenever you want and you're complaining?

Back in my day we shoved quarters in arcade machines by the pocket full just so that we could play for the afternoon and we were happy to do so.

Kids these days.
Wow, way to be degrading... I wouldn't mind paying more if it has tons of new features worth buying, but if it's just a roster update I wouldn't see any need to pay for it again.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
The biggest development hurdle Sebastian mentioned during development was not processor speed but device memory.

Also I recall that during the development cycle the game was not developed for the 3G even in mind. I was found out that near the end of the development cycle that after some play testing it was found that the game could run on 3G devices, albeit not as well.

The new 4GS is still going to have 512 MB of Ram like the 4G. So I don't see a point in dropping support for 3G or 3GS devices when there is still the memory hurdle that will be around for another full year or more.

To give my thoughts on where the game should head I would mainly like to see new customization options open up. i.e. new financial options, a player editor, a player creation option, a stadium editor and creator and the ability to modify league totals, creation modifiers and change the starting year.

I would also like to see iOOTP become more independent of it's computer cousin and become more of it's own game.
I would be thrilled to the point of peeing myself if Sebastian would incorporate some RPG elements into the game from the ITP series.
i.e. you create a player and get yourself drafted and guide your player through the minors and into the big leagues. Negotiate contracts, demand trades, buy equipment, date women, buy things and begin to influence your teammates and coach as you grow older and have more years in the bigs.
I think that would fit perfectly with a quick playing portable version of the game and establish iOOTP as it's own independent game.

The GM and managerial aspects of the game would still be there. I think this would open up a third way to play, as a single player focused sim RPG.

It has been 7 years and Markus has done nothing with the ITP property. Maybe it can be revived and worked into iOOTP 12.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

And I must say that I bought the game on release day and never played it as much as I thought I would.
But now that it is a iPad native game it has breathed new life into the game. I play it a whole lot more than I did and I am finally getting my use out of the game.
The universal update was to me pretty much like getting iOOTP 11.5
It was almost as good as a brand new version.

I am excited to see where this series is headed. last year it stayed in the App stores top 100 games for a few weeks so I think it has some good sales. I think this series has staying power.
If not this upcoming year, then in the future it can expand to other mobile OS's and expand it's reach out even more.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Most iOS sports games get released as a full product every year for full price. I say this as someone who has personally reviewed several hundred games. I am positive the improvements made won't be a simple roster update and will be well worth a few bucks.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
hluraven
Major Leagues

One of the best value apps I have ever seen and I would be very happy to pay the same again even if it was only a roster update. The fact that it will be more than that just makes it even better.
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post
One of the best value apps I have ever seen and I would be very happy to pay the same again even if it was only a roster update. The fact that it will be more than that just makes it even better.
Ditto. 5 bucks a year for a quality game like this is--to be quite blunt--a steal.

However, I fully expect that future releases will continue to evolve and improve the game in the same way the full PC/Mac version has risen to the top of the baseball simulation pyramid.

I suspect that anyone who supports the iOOTP franchise will be more than happy to make modest yearly contributions to ensure that the developers have enough $ to justify the time spent improving the game.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Wow, way to be degrading... I wouldn't mind paying more if it has tons of new features worth buying, but if it's just a roster update I wouldn't see any need to pay for it again.
Settle down there Bat Boy. I'm just ribbing you.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
thegame_45
Bat Boy

If there was a way to import the saved game you have right now then I would upgrade. If not probably not
thegame_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

I can't recall, in all my years of playing OOTP, one single version where Markus (and team) designed the game with minimal enhancements and updated rosters (like EA's Madden is fond of doing.) It doesn't seem like Markus' style to be lax in developing OOTP and its' products.

IMO, I think it should be a stand-alone app with as many ported (or new) features as possible.

I was one of the (hopefully) many who tried, paid and played ITP. I would love to see that somehow incorporated in iOOTP12, if possible. Even taking a player, guiding him through his major-league career and into a hitting or pitching coach/manager/GM position provided they open up.

Just some ramblings, but I would be happy the 4.99 again for iOOTP12. I also thought it was a steal having thought it was worth 9.99-19.99 for the app.
Supernovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
JayWigley
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Appealing only to the new 4S audience would leave out every other customer they have, which are the vast majority. If they do incorporate enough desktop OOTP features to make it worth it, I'd consider it. I just hope they won't pull a Madden, if you know what I mean...
I wasn't suggesting developing iOOTP 12 for ONLY the 4S, I was suggesting dropping support for the oldest model (3G) and relying on the faster processor and extra RAM that came with the iPhone 4 (not sure about the 3GS) to make additional features worthwhile.
JayWigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

I paid for the upgrade from FM2010 to 2011 and I still was delighted with it. So even if iOOTP just improves a few areas and adds some features Id be happy to buy it. "if it aint broke dont fix it" doesnt even apply here. "If its already amazing, keep it that way" is more appropriate.
Walsh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Husky51
Minors (Double A)

I am good with paying the $5 bucks or whatever it is for the new season and upgrades to the game, as long as I can keep my current replays going and don't have to rebuy the legacy seasons I purchased.
Husky51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
revcarte
Major Leagues

PS3 crowd...what do they pay

Quote:
The Playstation 3 crowd and the Xbox crowd pay $60 a year for basically new rosters. $5 is a real bargain for a game of this quality. This game could have sold for $30 or more. I appreciate the fact that this company is not obsessed with greed.
revcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
Pike
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
What a brat way of putting things. It's worth $5 a year (for crying out loud that's less than a meal at Mickey D's!!!!) to keep the guys developing this great product.

Seriously can't believe how asinine the OP was.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWigley View Post
I wasn't suggesting developing iOOTP 12 for ONLY the 4S, I was suggesting dropping support for the oldest model (3G) and relying on the faster processor and extra RAM that came with the iPhone 4 (not sure about the 3GS) to make additional features worthwhile.
You do realize a good amount of people still use 3G right? That's still the low-end standard for apps. It'll be better for people who do have an iPhone 4 or 4s, but worse for OOTP.
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
It's worth $5 a year (for crying out loud that's less than a meal at Mickey D's!!!!
dang, how much you eat? Micky D's only costs me $3 plus a few cents!
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
McGuiser
Major Leagues

$5

Fast food is bad for you. Strategy games are good for you (mental acuity, and staving off Alzheimer's).

Spending fast-food money on iOOTP instead is beneficial even if you never play the game. Same for beer money, now that I think about it.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote