Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
rmoons24
Minors (Single A)

Speeding up a save

Suggestions on how to speed up a save?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
DanKreider
Minors (Double A)

What exactly do you mean? How to speed up the processing of your computer when you are simming you mean?

Ill assume that is what you mean, so there are a few things you can do:

1. Limit the number of leagues you are checking off. The larger the database you are running, the more computations required.
2. Limit the number of things your game is putting into memory (stats, replays, 3D saves, etc) - this can be done through settings menu
3. Upgrade your CPU and Ram - This is obvious but even upgrading just your Ram would be a fairly cost effective way to hugely increase your computer speed

Hope that was somewhat helpful, I am sure there are other ways I have missed, but I'd mainly make sure my database was a reasonable size and then I would play around in settings to make sure my computer wasn't being tasked with to much work per day.
DanKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

keep less stuff.. if you have 20 world leagues actuve, cut it down to jsut your MLB and minors.. that's really all the stuff you can do and maybe not want to do etc. it has to do with how much and how large the stuff you are working with. 10,000 tiny little 1kb news stories takes more time than larger contigous blocks of data. that tiny crap will run at 4-6MB/s on most HDDs. the larger files 100-150MB/s. quite a difference, eh?

i'v made more than one suggestion to alleviate this problem before. it needs to be in 1 file, not 10000s of individual fiels and it needs to be pre-allocated chunks of space so that it's contigous cunk of data written and read. (read into memory while palying, then written to disk when saved - as a full 50mb preallocated chunk at a time etc. as many chunks as needed at whatever size etc. anything better than drowning in 1kb files)

make it save only 1 a year - it still does it each time you close, regardless.

other than that, you could get an ssd storage device instead of a hdd. (ie hardware upgrades) 2 of them in raid "x" would be the fastest response times for writing and reading from a storage device(s). raid 1, raid 0? you'd have to read up on the minutiea. it's been too long since i've done that.

even with an SSD, it's going to be slower for the multitudes of tiny files. probably closer to the ~max of a HDD though, so 20x faster or more, nonetheless, on the news and history related stuff.

honestly, this game is extremely hard on storage devices.. all you have to do is watch your resource monitor for HD useage and compare to any other program or game you will ever run.. it's madness.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote