Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Cleveland

How is it that Cleveland was in the WS but their fan interest is only 52?!
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

Fickle fans?

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
buckeye22
Major Leagues

Seems a little high if anything. Cubs fans completely took over Progressive Field throughout the World Series. The Indians drew fewer than 20,000 fans for most of September despite being not only in a division race but well in control.

They drew 19,650 fans per game last year. 28th in the league. Behind Miami, only ahead of Oakland and Tampa Bay. The last time they drew at least 20,000 a game was 2011.

Cleveland doesn't have baseball fans. They have Browns and Cavs fans who remember the Indians exist for the playoffs and Opening Day. The days of the sellout streak (much of which happened when the Browns were gone) are LONG gone.
buckeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPedro99 View Post
Because it's well known that they don't draw much during the season. Check the last few seasons.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPedro99 View Post
Cavs fans maybe? Wait until basketball season is over and watch interest rise?
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

would call that fairweather fans .... Do you really think Cleveland is a baseball city ??? It used to be back in the 50s and 60s strongly but has dwindled quite a bit unfortunately Just so you know Cleveland isn't the only one going through this
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
would call that fairweather fans .... Do you really think Cleveland is a baseball city ??? It used to be back in the 50s and 60s strongly but has dwindled quite a bit unfortunately Just so you know Cleveland isn't the only one going through this
They were a baseball city in the nineties when Jacobs Field was brand spanking new and the team was a monster. I suppose that could be fairweatherish, but every market has that to some degree. When you don't win for a long time, fans stop showing up. One marked exception would be the Cubs since 1945, but they look like a juggernaut now.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:04 AM   #8
buckeye22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
They were a baseball city in the nineties when Jacobs Field was brand spanking new and the team was a monster. I suppose that could be fairweatherish, but every market has that to some degree. When you don't win for a long time, fans stop showing up. One marked exception would be the Cubs since 1945, but they look like a juggernaut now.
No Browns in town from 95-99, a great, young team, Cavs weren't great, new park....perfect storm.

Not saying the sellout streak and everything they did back then wasn't great, because it was. But yeah all in all it was a blip on the radar screen.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this year IRL. Despite being a Tiger fan, I'd love to see the fans in Cleveland show up and the Indians get some support. The park is STILL nice, the team obviously deserves it. We'll see. I honestly suspect they'll have to keep this run up for multiple years to truly bring them in though. And that's a shame.

Edit: Also not going to act like Cleveland is the only market that does this. Again, I'm a Tiger fan. I remember the days when you could buy an 8 dollar bleacher seat (those go from $20+ these days), and by the middle of the game could sneak to almost any seat in the park you wanted because no one wanted to come watch a 100 loss team. Then 06 happened, then the stars came in, and BOOM. 43,000 fans on a random Tuesday night in June. Now that they've missed the playoffs a couple of years, we're seeing the attendance fall back a bit again. It's the natural ebb and flow....you'd just think a team in 1st in September could draw more than 19,000 into a 35,000 seat park.

Last edited by buckeye22; 03-24-2017 at 03:06 AM.
buckeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

That happens when you live in fear that your river will catch fire. good thing we have a regulatory agency that... oh, @#$.

before 2006, a banner year in detroit was 2M. i am a detroit fan, too. it's very unlikely they continue to draw so many people... but it's not impossible for a certain fanatical culture to develop and persist longer than normal, too.

cleveland had some ups and downs lately, so, it may just be delayed... and if so they'll adjust that, or it makes sense for you to up it for any reason you can rationalize, for that matter. but, as of last year, they didn't draw many fans relative to success.

regardless of that potential fanatical cult following culture... a known WS-caliber team should draw crowds this year, and they are not just a talking-heads "contender" anymore. but, if they start of horrendously and have injurie, that tenuous position of leverage can easily revert with so little recent history.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

They already sold something like 5,000 more season tickets for the 2017 season than they did for all last season. Problem with Cleveland is the fans got tired of the ownership making promises and then do the opposite. Yes I know that we are not the only city with professional sports that can say that, but people would rather stay home and watch the games on TV instead of paying to go to the game.

There are baseball fans here, they just were tried of the mess the Dolan's would throw out there each year. I was here in the 90s when they sold out the stadium every night, yes that had a lot to do with the Browns being gone and the Cavs were just an average NBA team, but this town (like most) has shown that if you have a winning product, the fans will come out. Downtown is starting to have that same feeling that we had here in the 90s and early 2000s, so I fully expect them to be at worst in the middle of the league in attendance this season.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Usually, you don't see a huge attendance bump in the season in which you rise to power, unless you get just a ton of walk-up traffic and that usually doesn't happen. It's the year after your first big year where attendance usually rises in the form of season-ticket sales.

Other thing to consider is people plan vacations or activities on certain dates months in advance, especially when it involves family and kids. If you think in March your team isn't that good, you might not plan a ballpark trip for the summer because you'd rather spend your disposable income on another big trip or outing.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
JollyRoger90
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
They already sold something like 5,000 more season tickets for the 2017 season than they did for all last season. Problem with Cleveland is the fans got tired of the ownership making promises and then do the opposite. Yes I know that we are not the only city with professional sports that can say that, but people would rather stay home and watch the games on TV instead of paying to go to the game.

There are baseball fans here, they just were tried of the mess the Dolan's would throw out there each year. I was here in the 90s when they sold out the stadium every night, yes that had a lot to do with the Browns being gone and the Cavs were just an average NBA team, but this town (like most) has shown that if you have a winning product, the fans will come out. Downtown is starting to have that same feeling that we had here in the 90s and early 2000s, so I fully expect them to be at worst in the middle of the league in attendance this season.
To add to this, a lot of Cleveland fans live in Columbus, a 2hr+ drive away. The Indians had really good TV ratings last season if I remember right.
JollyRoger90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Blame the lack of faith in ownership for years in spending any sort of money. I bet their attendance will be up this season after that deep run, signing Encarnacion and if they make the playoffs again it will continue to rise.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That stadium, when it was brand new, looked absolutely beautiful. As a Sox fan I have fond memories of that stadium, or at least a lot of memories of it.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE View Post
That stadium, when it was brand new, looked absolutely beautiful. As a Sox fan I have fond memories of that stadium, or at least a lot of memories of it.
You should see what it looks like now after they renovated it.....looks like a brand new stadium, I think it is even better than it was back when it opened.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote