Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:35 AM   #1
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Can you match or top my worst OOTP move?

I'm sure some of you have seen the lengthy post I made, crying like a baby because my starting rotation exploded.

I put on my big boy pants and got over that. I was going to have to make some big changes at the end of 1983 and hopefully get through 1984 alright and then maybe make a run at it all in 1985. When 1983 ended, I made my top goal to acquire an Ace. I didn't have a ton of money available due to previous bonehead moves, but I thought I could make it work.

Mario Soto (Curr: 3.5/Pot: 4.0) was the second-best pitcher available in free agency. Three teams were offering him deals immediately. I needed to pull some magic if I could even make an offer that wouldn't be laughed at. So, I rolled the dice and lost some really prospects in order to free up available cash. It probably wasn't a smart move, but only time would tell. I made an offer, he rejected it. He wanted an 8-year deal and I couldn't go that far. Back and forth, he got offers from other teams according to the news reports. He rejected another offer of mine.

The baseball God's must have felt sorry for me; my third offer was accepted. Mario Soto is going to be my Ace for opening day 1984! I finally got over my rotation blowup. I'm back on track. I didn't have much left for additional signings. I grabbed a couple of pitchers I could place in Double-A immediately. So, the days went on and I even landed a decent SS via the Rule 5 Draft. Now, it was just time to wait for spring training to arrive. I was making some decisions about who I wanted to invite to Spring Training, looking at potential lineups, the standard stuff. Hmmm...Why am I not seeing Mario Soto...ugh...Did they throw him into the bullpen because I already had 5 SP's listed? Nope. Panic sits in. What the heck is going on? Well, apparently I allowed my exuberance to get the better of me when signing Soto. And now he was gone. Why? I hadn't moved him onto the 40-man roster, I left him sitting in the DFA section. The Houston Astros walked away with my savior via the Rule 5 Draft. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, maybe a stroke. I had him. I fought for him. It still stings.

So, have any of you done something equally stupid? Please, don't let me be the only one...
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:42 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i've traded players that have either finally had teh outcomes i expected but never saw, mostly RP but plenty of batters and sp too, but if i've forgotten to move them i think the warning message has always caught my eye.

there should be a little popup window when you have to make a decision on the player.

either way, i bet you make a nice new habit of immediately assigning any player acquired in a trade, now

i'd go re-assign him if it isn't a online-related and restricted. i think you are even responsible for the contract he signed for the next X years.. lol, check your finances. it's just a video game, go get him back for somethign that couldn't happen in real life... (not quite true, all sorts of incompetence has led to problems that never should have occured - simple things like paperwork not filed on time or at all)

but, what doesn't happen is a player traded for not be assigned immediately in real life -- or by design waiting for a spot to clear out. in either case, it is planned out ahead of time and clockwork in nature at that point.

today's jeopardy is done, i'm going to memorize it and go impress some peopel later... just kidding. but, it is cool messing with people's heads when you say a few questions before the answer is revealed.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-10-2020 at 04:43 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
thklein
Major Leagues

The Chicago Bears lost out on a compensatory draft pick once because they forgot to check a box on an outgoing free agent's paperwork. But I don't think anything to the level of what happened to you has happened in real life. I'd undo it if you aren't in challenge mode.
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
smythejd
All Star Reserve

My worst move in OOTP was a trade. I wanted to acquire a Shortstop and in the process of completing the trade "threw in" a young pithing prospect.

This pitcher when on to be one of the best SP in league history. 7 time pitcher of the year, 15 all-star games. An absolute beast.

And the Shortstop? He lasted 4 years after I got him and played so so ball, at best.

Meet Juan Carlos Medina...
Attached Images
smythejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by smythejd View Post
My worst move in OOTP was a trade. I wanted to acquire a Shortstop and in the process of completing the trade "threw in" a young pithing prospect.

This pitcher when on to be one of the best SP in league history. 7 time pitcher of the year, 15 all-star games. An absolute beast.

And the Shortstop? He lasted 4 years after I got him and played so so ball, at best.

Meet Juan Carlos Medina...
Yeah, that's a kick between the legs.

One thing I've noticed in my short time here at the OOTP Forums is players with absolutely bonkers statistics like Mr. Juan Carlos Medina in your post. There is example after example of people showing off their studs and I don't blame them. What I want to know is, does this just happen in leagues/teams in the future? It seems like every time I see the stats of a total stud player, it'll be some dude playing in 2030-2044 with 9 years of ridiculous stats. For the Veteran OOTP players, are people using the Player Editor to ramp up skill levels and whatever else might help the player turn out like a monster? Do many OOTP players use the Player Editor?
Old 03-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
smythejd
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
Yeah, that's a kick between the legs.

One thing I've noticed in my short time here at the OOTP Forums is players with absolutely bonkers statistics like Mr. Juan Carlos Medina in your post. There is example after example of people showing off their studs and I don't blame them. What I want to know is, does this just happen in leagues/teams in the future? It seems like every time I see the stats of a total stud player, it'll be some dude playing in 2030-2044 with 9 years of ridiculous stats. For the Veteran OOTP players, are people using the Player Editor to ramp up skill levels and whatever else might help the player turn out like a monster? Do many OOTP players use the Player Editor?
I can only speak for myself (of course) but I do not use editor on any player.

My fictional league has around 200 year history. In all those years, I only have around 10 players which I can show you that will make your jaw drop. And I started my fictional league in 2014 (so all my calendar years will always be very futuristic.

Last edited by smythejd; 03-14-2020 at 02:22 PM.
smythejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
I'm sure some of you have seen the lengthy post I made, crying like a baby because my starting rotation exploded.

I put on my big boy pants and got over that. I was going to have to make some big changes at the end of 1983 and hopefully get through 1984 alright and then maybe make a run at it all in 1985. When 1983 ended, I made my top goal to acquire an Ace. I didn't have a ton of money available due to previous bonehead moves, but I thought I could make it work.

Mario Soto (Curr: 3.5/Pot: 4.0) was the second-best pitcher available in free agency. Three teams were offering him deals immediately. I needed to pull some magic if I could even make an offer that wouldn't be laughed at. So, I rolled the dice and lost some really prospects in order to free up available cash. It probably wasn't a smart move, but only time would tell. I made an offer, he rejected it. He wanted an 8-year deal and I couldn't go that far. Back and forth, he got offers from other teams according to the news reports. He rejected another offer of mine.

The baseball God's must have felt sorry for me; my third offer was accepted. Mario Soto is going to be my Ace for opening day 1984! I finally got over my rotation blowup. I'm back on track. I didn't have much left for additional signings. I grabbed a couple of pitchers I could place in Double-A immediately. So, the days went on and I even landed a decent SS via the Rule 5 Draft. Now, it was just time to wait for spring training to arrive. I was making some decisions about who I wanted to invite to Spring Training, looking at potential lineups, the standard stuff. Hmmm...Why am I not seeing Mario Soto...ugh...Did they throw him into the bullpen because I already had 5 SP's listed? Nope. Panic sits in. What the heck is going on? Well, apparently I allowed my exuberance to get the better of me when signing Soto. And now he was gone. Why? I hadn't moved him onto the 40-man roster, I left him sitting in the DFA section. The Houston Astros walked away with my savior via the Rule 5 Draft. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, maybe a stroke. I had him. I fought for him. It still stings.

So, have any of you done something equally stupid? Please, don't let me be the only one...
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...ight=Beer+OOTP

First post. LOL from 2005

About 4:00pm yesterday I cracked my first beer while playing my solo fictional league. I had this brilliant idea that I would put a few of my high priced players on revocable waivers, see who was interested and work out a couple of deals. Before I did anything, we decided to do dinner and sit by the pool. Another beer, a few glasses of wine, nice dinner, some music on the stereo. A very pleasant evening.

So around 8:00 I stop by the computer, click on simulate and hit week, not day! Off I go still enjoying my evening. At 10:00 I sat down to find that I lost two starting OF and my starting 3B. About 70 HR worth. Could be tragic if it wasn't so frigging funny. The fan interest went to 8 and I'll probably lose 100 games next year. Oh well

I'm not much of a drinker these days. A few extra pops and I lose my mind.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...ight=Beer+OOTP

First post. LOL from 2005

About 4:00pm yesterday I cracked my first beer while playing my solo fictional league. I had this brilliant idea that I would put a few of my high priced players on revocable waivers, see who was interested and work out a couple of deals.

Aww, man...Now that must have really hurt. Were you confused for a second? Like, "How come <player name> isn't showing up? Did I sort this roster by position? OH NO!!!" Yeah, that's definitely a bad one, losing three starting players.

Speaking of waivers, do most veteran OOTP players use the waiver system after the trade deadline to gauge interest in a player or three?
Old 03-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I'm beginning to think that I make a crappy GM. 2 seasons ago i thought I was getting s steal on this SS from the Cubs. lifetime .312 hitter approx, ok on D good soeed. He is a solid offensive player. Problem was he was fue 12.5 the remaing of that season them 36.5 the next 3 seasons. No player in my league ,akes more than 17. That 36.5 handcuffed me from resigning FA and making other trades, I moved on from that team. I traded away my Ace, who was having a bad start to the season at the end of March for a RP and 2 mid level prospects. The SP i traded away went 4-0 2.33 ERA in June while the RP is 4.08 11 K in !1 IP since acquiring him, so not bad but the guy who replaced him in the rotation was 3.24 36 K in 24 relief innings and went 1-5 6.78 ERa in about 24 IP in June. Thankfully i have a great offense.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
2 seasons ago i thought I was getting s steal on this SS from the Cubs. lifetime .312 hitter approx, ok on D good soeed. He is a solid offensive player. Problem was he was fue 12.5 the remaing of that season them 36.5 the next 3 seasons. No player in my league ,akes more than 17. That 36.5 handcuffed me from resigning FA and making other trades
I mean, that's something you should have been able to foresee.
Do you do any kind of planning?

And, your description leads me to believe two things
1) this player was way overpaid relative to the league.
2) your ability to value players isn't great.

Quote:
I traded away my Ace, who was having a bad start to the season at the end of March for a RP and 2 mid level prospects.
Why on earth did you do this?

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that I make a crappy GM.
Looks like there's some room for improvement
Hopefully, you can learn from these mistakes (not just about GMing in OOTP, but about some things that can help you in life)
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #11
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that I make a crappy GM.
Naw. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Last edited by ALB123; 03-15-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I mean, that's something you should have been able to foresee.
Do you do any kind of planning?

And, your description leads me to believe two things
1) this player was way overpaid relative to the league.
2) your ability to value players isn't great.

I have MLB, Endor, *** & Illinois leagues in one universe. Each have different finances. MLB is 2020 + EBL is 2003, IBL is 1973, *** is 1993. i am in 2033. I messed up and didnt look at his contract.

2. probably.

Why on earth did you do this?
he was 1-6 7.88 54 IP and a FA after the season.

Looks like there's some room for improvement
Hopefully, you can learn from these mistakes (not just about GMing in OOTP, but about some things that can help you in life)
Doubtful.

"Stay Strong"

Old 03-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post
The Chicago Bears lost out on a compensatory draft pick once because they forgot to check a box on an outgoing free agent's paperwork. But I don't think anything to the level of what happened to you has happened in real life. I'd undo it if you aren't in challenge mode.

The Red Sox were late in getting contract paperwork to Carlton Fisk. By the time he received it, he signed with the White Sox. One argument, though, is that the Red Sox may have been intentionally late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
a FA after the season.
That, at least, makes some sense.
But, the end of March still seems like a weird time to trade him (unless you're on an alternate schedule, which you might well be).
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

The Tampa Bay Bucs once drafted the wrong guy because they were trying to relay the name of the guy to draft at the last second over a crappy communication device that had a lot of static.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:45 AM   #16
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I traded away the Hall of Fame career of Dennis Fried for three games of Raúl Castillo... suffered a concussion and was cut before the next season.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
That, at least, makes some sense.
But, the end of March still seems like a weird time to trade him (unless you're on an alternate schedule, which you might well be).
Thought i said end of May. if i said March that was a typo. I probably traded him long before i should of especially since the MR i got has not been great.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=7499

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=7500

"Stay Strong"