Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

2020 mls

A big part of why I love the month of March is the return of the MLS.

For my team, the Columbus Crew, it feels like emerging from a dark tunnel. From the owner announcing, just as the 2017 playoffs were starting, that he was going to move the team, through a 2018 season of #SaveTheCrew and trepidation, to a 2019 season of new ownership, new coach, rollercoaster season, into the daylight of a season with significant roster changes, including a significant investment in players, Sunday's season opener was fantastic.

- Hard to get a real read on how the Crew did, since NYCFC went down a man in the 3rd minute, but the goal, from their big new DP signing, was a pretty one.

- Hated seeing Josef Martinez go down with an ACL in the Atlanta game. While I tend to root against Atlanta, he is a joy to watch.

- The big opener in Nashville was fun to watch.

- I have to get back into extended watching shape. Watched most of the evening games on Saturday. On Sunday it was the EPL at 9, the Crew at 12.30, IU basketball already in progress when the Crew game got done, then a couple more games. By the time the late game came on, it was "naaah, lets put a movie on!"

Let's Go Crew

Last edited by Boomcoach; 03-02-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Boomcoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I've seen sandlots which look better than that nashville field did. Now Josef is gone for the year and because MLS cares more about catering to the cheap owners instead of the teams trying to win they can't even sign a replacement.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I've seen sandlots which look better than that nashville field did. Now Josef is gone for the year and because MLS cares more about catering to the cheap owners instead of the teams trying to win they can't even sign a replacement.
You're trying to make me think of the NYCFC pitch! Stop it! You're harshing my mellow, man!

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Nashville game & atmosphere was fun, enjoyed that.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Boomcoach, your Crew beat my (newly adopted) NYCFC 1-0.

Heh, I cannot act like I'm upset because I am just getting into MLS. True story: Literally too lazy to reach for the remote after a Yankees game on YES (or tuned in early before a game) and I'm watching Soccer (NYCFC, also on YES). Say, this is interesting and it's New York!

So I am here to stay and I appreciate this thread because it will help me learn the game. Regarding the NYCFC pitch, plans have been announced for a new, dedicated arena down the street from Yankee Stadium, in some parking lots the Yankees gave up in a land swap.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Boomcoach, your Crew beat my (newly adopted) NYCFC 1-0.

Heh, I cannot act like I'm upset because I am just getting into MLS. True story: Literally too lazy to reach for the remote after a Yankees game on YES (or tuned in early before a game) and I'm watching Soccer (NYCFC, also on YES). Say, this is interesting and it's New York!

So I am here to stay and I appreciate this thread because it will help me learn the game. Regarding the NYCFC pitch, plans have been announced for a new, dedicated arena down the street from Yankee Stadium, in some parking lots the Yankees gave up in a land swap.
That is great to hear! I actually like to watch NYCFC, they play an aggressive attacking game that I is fun to watch. Didn't get to see much of that on Sunday because of the red card.

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomcoach View Post
- hard to get a real read on how the crew did, since nycfc went down a man in the 3rd minute, but the goal, from their big new dp signing, was a pretty one.!
People think it's easier playing against 10 men, trust me it isn't. The whole mentality of both teams change, the 10 men drop back so you've less space. Your best players are made void, less space, if you have players with speed their cancelled out. The game totally changes, I was a central defender in my playing days against 10 men nothing to do, we'd have pushed up but then you risk the chance of one mistake they counter, they score. Then your down 1-0 again with no space, personally rather have played against 11 than 10.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
People think it's easier playing against 10 men, trust me it isn't. The whole mentality of both teams change, the 10 men drop back so you've less space. Your best players are made void, less space, if you have players with speed their cancelled out. The game totally changes, I was a central defender in my playing days against 10 men nothing to do, we'd have pushed up but then you risk the chance of one mistake they counter, they score. Then your down 1-0 again with no space, personally rather have played against 11 than 10.
Agree. It is interesting, primarily because a draw is a possible outcome, how much a side changes after an early red. (I also feel bad for the poor sod who has to sit after 10-15 minutes of play because a sub has to be made to adjust the shape.)

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
That is great to hear! I actually like to watch NYCFC, they play an aggressive attacking game that I is fun to watch. Didn't get to see much of that on Sunday because of the red card.
I already noticed one thing that I had read about someplace else. Sometime during the match, Anton Tinnerholm went down with a leg injury. My gosh, did he writhe in agony. I was thinking, "broken leg."

Then I saw the team doctor/trainer straighten up and stand there, waiting. Sure enough, Tinnerholm slowly recovered, got up, limped around for effect, and as soon as play resumed (no, he did not come out of the match), was quite spry on his feet, cutting and running with free abandon. I did:

For, as I have read, players will do such shenanigans in order to regroup and give themselves and their teams a breather.

- Bru

Old 03-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quick questions: The red card, that was for a bad foul? And it removed a NYCFC player from the pitch for how long?

- Bru

Old 03-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I already noticed one thing that I had read about someplace else. Sometime during the match, Anton Tinnerholm went down with a leg injury. My gosh, did he writhe in agony. I was thinking, "broken leg."

Then I saw the team doctor/trainer straighten up and stand there, waiting. Sure enough, Tinnerholm slowly recovered, got up, limped around for effect, and as soon as play resumed (no, he did not come out of the match), was quite spry on his feet, cutting and running with free abandon. I did:

For, as I have read, players will do such shenanigans in order to regroup and give themselves and their teams a breather.
I think he was also trying to sell the ref on a red card to the Crew to even things up, if it is the play I am thinking of. Wormgoor got a yellow, but I am not even sure that there was a foul on the play.

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I think he was also trying to sell the ref on a red card to the Crew to even things up, if it is the play I am thinking of. Wormgoor got a yellow, but I am not even sure that there was a foul on the play.
Speaking of Wormgoor, that fellow looks evil. He even has an evil name. I could see him in a Rocky VI or Creed III movie.

- Bru

Old 03-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #13
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Speaking of Wormgoor, that fellow looks evil. He even has an evil name. I could see him in a Rocky VI or Creed III movie.
Lol. He has a great name and a great look.

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Quick questions: The red card, that was for a bad foul? And it removed a NYCFC player from the pitch for how long?
Crew's #10, Zelarayan, was behind the D and on his way to goal. the defender tried to cut behind him and kicked one foot into the other, bringing him down. Foul like that by the last defender Denial of a Goal-Scoring Opportunity (DOGSO), which is a red-card offense.

I don't think it was intentional, in this case, but it was definitely DOGSO.

A red card is an ejection and the team does not get to replace the player. Soccer is pretty strict on personnel. No replacements of an ejected player and only 3 subs allowed. If you have used your 3rd sub and a player gets hurt, you play a man down.

Let's Go Crew

Last edited by Boomcoach; 03-02-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Further explanation.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Added to this if there are less than 7 players left on a team the match is abandoned.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Achara's goal for Toronto FC vs. NYCFC was questionable, IMO. It looked to me like he was in the net himself when he headed it.

Name:  5e66de08023d1627ed6e777djpeg.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  74.2 KB

They gave him the goal, which is where the question comes in. If he was in the net, and his head deflected the ball to score, then was the shot going to be a score in the first place? Because, if not, then the goal should have been waved off. Waved off!

Say, I'm starting to actually care about this stuff. ()

- Bru

Old 03-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
They gave him the goal, which is where the question comes in. If he was in the net, and his head deflected the ball to score, then was the shot going to be a score in the first place? Because, if not, then the goal should have been waved off. Waved off!

Say, I'm starting to actually care about this stuff. ()
It would stand no matter where he was when he touched it. He was onside when the shot was taken, so there is nothing wrong with the play. If the ball was already across the line when he played it, then all would change was who the goal was assigned to, the shooter, or possibly scored an Own Goal if it was not on frame before the deflection.

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #18
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah not sure why you think it matters if he was in the net or not. If it was going to be a goal anyway all that happens is he just took credit for it from whoever shot initially.

Soccer is basically the opposite of American sports. All that matters is the ball, the player can be standing wherever but the ball is in play until it is entirely out of bounds.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
If it was going to be a goal anyway . . .
That was the question in my mind but when I looked at the post-game replays, that probably was the case. But hey, I find myself irrationally and irascibly rooting for my home MLS team, which is a good sign!

- Bru

Old 03-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
That was the question in my mind but when I looked at the post-game replays, that probably was the case. But hey, I find myself irrationally and irascibly rooting for my home MLS team, which is a good sign!
Glad to have you. While there are certainly aspects of the game that annoy me, primarily diving, although I don't think it is as bad as some Americans want to pretend, it is still there, soccer, through the past 20 years, has become the sport I enjoy watching the most.

I love the game play itself, of course, but I also like the pace of play and way that big girls and big boys can play the game without the niggling interference by the officials over every inch of the game. If the ball goes out of play, you pick it up and throw it back in. You don't need an official run over mark the specific spot, anoint the ball with oil and give it back to you.

I love the constant clock, I think the fact that a draw is a possible result adds a lot to the game and the feel of results. I love that when I go to a Crew game that starts at 7:30, I know that by 10 I will be on the road and headed back home.

Let's Go Crew