Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #61
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Are helicopters statistically the most dangerous of forms of transportation?

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #62
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Are helicopters statistically the most dangerous of forms of transportation?
No. If you do some research, you will find definite assertions such as this one:
Name:  Image0205.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  139.3 KB

However, comparing helicopters to all aircraft:

Do helicopters really crash more often than planes? Yes. Helicopters crash at a slightly higher rate than aircraft overall, according to data collected by the National Transportation Safety Board. General aircraft—airplanes, helicopters, balloons, blimps, and everything else—average 7.28 crashes for every 100,000 hours of flight time. The crash rate for helicopters alone is 9.84 per 100,000 hours. That means helicopters crash about 35 percent more often per hour in the air than your average aircraft.

Source: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-crashing.html

When the author said "slightly higher rate," I'm thinking he had it in mind in relation to the very low 0.07 air passenger deaths per 1 billion passenger miles. I say this because helicopters crashing 35% more than general aircraft is quite significant. That may be the reason for your impression of helicopters being somewhat risky. Read the Slate article for possible reasons why.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-28-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #63
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I think people presume helicopters are dangerous because when they crash it's usually high profile people in them, so it hits the news more.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #64
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Much fewer people in 'copters...per trip they are more dangerous than cars I think...& planes (public, anyway) are like 1000x safer. They used a decade and a billion miles travelled rather than a billion years & 50 miles travelled.

Yeah, I think it's the 1000 point checks on safety on public transport vs. private "I got this" rides.

...How does 1 crash in 10,000 hours...ahh, forget it?

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 02-28-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #65
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Much fewer people in 'copters...per trip they are more dangerous than cars I think...& planes (public, anyway) are like 1000x safer. They used a decade and a billion miles travelled rather than a billion years & 50 miles travelled.

Yeah, I think it's the 1000 point checks on safety on public transport vs. private "I got this" rides.

...How does 1 crash in 10,000 hours...ahh, forget it?
Can you try this post again, but in English?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #66
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

No, Sorry

Old 02-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #67
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Can you try this post again, but in English?
I think it had something to do with more crashes per trip.

I was always under the impression choppers were the safest since I rarely hear about them. But I failed to consider how often other modes of transportation is used compared to them.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #68
Reed
All Star Starter

Spent 20 years in the Air Force. It is my understanding that helicopters were harder to fly unless you are trying to land on an aircraft carrier or some other weird thing.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #69
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Spent 20 years in the Air Force. It is my understanding that helicopters were harder to fly unless you are trying to land on an aircraft carrier or some other weird thing.
Yes, that's what the Slate article that I linked to said:

Helicopters are trickier to handle than airplanes, too—at least for beginners. You have the cyclic control, a joystick used to move the copter forward and backward; the collective control, which lifts you up and down; the anti-torque pedals, which turn the nose horizontally; and the throttle, which controls the amount of power going from the engine. As a result, the rate of accidents during instructional flights, when pilots are just learning, is twice as high for helicopters as for airplanes: 12.69 accidents per 100,000 hours versus 6.08 accidents per 100,000 hours.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #70
jaxmagicman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Retired defloration-maker living in Myrtle Beach, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Having worked on a DDG, I would say that it is more dangerous to try to land on the back of a destroyer than an airfield. Especially if you are in the middle of the ocean.

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.
jaxmagicman is offline   Reply With Quote