Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
md5423
All Star Reserve

Minor league roster size/service limits to prevent bloating and players being released?

I know this topic has been discussed frequently over the years, however, when searching I haven't seen much discussion on the topic over the past year...

Is there a consensus for the best service time limits and roster size limits for minor leagues in a standard MLB game?

basically, I wan't to prevent the problem where the rookie league rosters can reach massive sizes of like 50-100 players... at the same time, when I mess with the service time and roster size limits, I encounter a problem where players are excessively released, re-signed, and so on...

Also, should I tweak the amount of draft rounds/players generated? or just leave it at 35/36?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by md5423; 07-25-2019 at 11:24 AM.
md5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

If you only have one Rookie league team I'd set the roster to 35 players, no more than 2 years pro experience, and no older than 22 years of age. I set the draft to 30 rounds. You also need to control minor league rosters so only the guys you want get released. I added a second Rookie league so I can keep guys who aren't ready for SSA while clearing room for the next draft class. Both rookie leagues now have rosters set at 25 so that's 50 spots between two teams. This has been working out very well. It's allowing for more playing time for everyone and more flexibility. I tweaked the second Rookie league a bit so it's for players just a tick better than the AZL and Gulfcoast leagues and allows for three years pro experience. The second Rookie league also gave me an excuse to make more uniforms

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 07-25-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
md5423
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
If you only have one Rookie league team I'd set the roster to 35 players, no more than 2 years pro experience, and no older than 22 years of age. I set the draft to 30 rounds. You also need to control minor league rosters so only the guys you want get released. I added a second Rookie league so I can keep guys who aren't ready for SSA while clearing room for the next draft class. Both rookie leagues now have rosters set at 25 so that's 50 spots between two teams. This has been working out very well. It's allowing for more playing time for everyone and more flexibility. I tweaked the second Rookie league a bit so it's for players just a tick better than the AZL and Gulfcoast leagues.
Thanks for the reply. How about for the CPU teams? Will they still release players excessively? And should I set limits for SA to AAA?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

I have consistently heard from the OOTP team over the years that you should set the lowest level roster size to 35.

That’s all I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by md5423 View Post
Thanks for the reply. How about for the CPU teams? Will they still release players excessively? And should I set limits for SA to AAA?

They will release players who are at the age and service limits who aren't good enough to promote. I set limits for all minor leagues up to AA, AAA is for anyone.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I have consistently heard from the OOTP team over the years that you should set the lowest level roster size to 35.

If you have one Rookie league team, yes.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
md5423
All Star Reserve

Quote:
If you have one Rookie league team, yes.
What do you recommend if it's a standard MLB game? Where some teams have multiple rookie league teams. Also, do you count DSL as a rookie league team also?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What do you recommend if it's a standard MLB game? Where some teams have multiple rookie league teams. Also, do you count DSL as a rookie league team also?

Most teams have one Rookie team so 35 is still a good limit. DSL is for literal kids, so it is practically pre-Rookie. I don't use it. My universe is Standard MLB plus six teams for a 36 team league. I made some changes to the low minors (I made the Pioneer and Appalachian leagues SSA) so every team has two Rookie teams. They have one in either AZL or Gulf Coast plus the second team in my second Rookie league (the Mid Plaines League with teams in Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska-piece of cake to set up). Half of the teams in my universe have two SSA teams.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 07-25-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, it seems to fluctuate each version. I would suggest not making major changes. Set your lowest rookie league, excluding DSL, to 35 players and see how it affects the next level up since the extra players might be promoted instead of released. each level should really only have 25-30 players. if the next level up has over 30, set a limit between 25-30 players. Keep doing the same as you move up. The idea is that at some point, the AI will stop promoting players instead of releasing them. The goal is to have as few restrictions as you can. I hope that makes sense

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #10
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Can anyone give me an ideal roster size/development speed for leagues with only 3 minor leagues?
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 AM   #11
Minors (Double A)

I did a study of the ages of minor league players in the late 1988s/early 1990s which are the historical years I play. They are pretty standard in real life, almost like they have hard caps. I based my age limits based on those, basically adding a year over and under to make it easier on the AI.

Note that since I play historical, I only use 5 levels of minors for all teams (AAA, AA, A+, A, R)

MLB - 18-0 (0 is no limit)

AAA - 19-35 (I find 35 the sweet spot because AI teams almost never sign over age 35 for minors, and if you set it lower they just keep signing guys and releasing them because the AI doesn't check the minor league age requirements until after signing a player).

AA - 18-29

A+ - 18-26

A - 0-25

R - 0-23

I don't use any service time limits. Using age ends up matching real life very well and the AI can't really handle more complex things like both age and service limits. It's also harder to find real world data or service time to make it accurate/realistic.

Regarding active roster size limits, it should always be no limit except for rookie. The active roster size setting won't exactly determine the size of the active roster despite its name. Rather, it's the number of starters/relievers/hitters that you set under the Stats and AI setting (using a hard number for active roster size is what ends up causing a lot of sign and release, because there is not flexibility when needed, it just screws everything up).

So if you set it to unlimited active roster with a 5 man rotation, 5 relievers, and 15 hitters, all the AI teams will have roughly 25-man active rosters but a little flexibility to handle injuries or so they aren't forced to release guys because of hard age limits (so maybe some teams will have 11 pitchers, 16 hitters, it varies depending on circumstances of the particular teams -- for example, if a team has a lot of decent 24 year olds who aren't quite good enough for A+, it doesn't have to release them they're too old for rookie league but won't fit under a hard 25-man active roster limit for class A).

For Rookie league I set it to 40 active roster size (unlike unlimited for all the others. I'd probably prefer using an active roster limit of 35, 40 gives leeway for injured players or maybe a couple of guys on the bubble. Under the Stats and AI settings, I set it to 6 man rotation, 8 relievers, and 21 hitters, which makes a 40 man roster. Some teams will use all 40, others only 30, it depends on what players they have in their organization, but they can't stockpile 50-60. iirc age 23 is a little high for rookie league in real life, but ootp needs a sort of holding pen for potentially decent younger players who shouldn't be released but who can't quite fit into class A or above for whatever reason.

I use 19 for AAA so that an 18 year old player has to spend at least some time in the minors unless he's so crazy good he can go straight to the majors at age 18.

(note: this isn't a consensus or necessarily the best, just what works well for me after a lot study and trial and error.)

Last edited by 01010010; 07-26-2019 at 03:29 AM.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:31 AM   #12
frank_olaf
Minors (Double A)

My GCL Rookie team roster always seems to have a ton of players, currently at 102 players, but my two DSL teams have a normal amount of players (30-35),

I'm assuming 102 players is too much. Other than manually releasing players every season, is there an automated way to keep the roster size down?

I've seen mentioned in this thread to keep the roster to around 35, can I set this limit in Game Settings? Will the AI then release players it thinks aren't good enough?

Thanks.
frank_olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_olaf View Post
I'm assuming 102 players is too much. .

Oh, just a bit. You have to stay on top of your minor leagues. No sooner does a poster delegate the job of releasing minor leaguers do we get a post about how the AI is releasing guys the poster wanted to keep. You have to put a little effort into management of the minor leagues. That means checking periodically and releasing guys who have no future as a professional baseball player.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
md5423
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Oh, just a bit. You have to stay on top of your minor leagues. No sooner does a poster delegate the job of releasing minor leaguers do we get a post about how the AI is releasing guys the poster wanted to keep. You have to put a little effort into management of the minor leagues. That means checking periodically and releasing guys who have no future as a professional baseball player.
How about for the CPU teams?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How about for the CPU teams?

The moment you set roster limits the CPU teams will release surplus players.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
Bobfather
All Star Starter

I increased my minor league affiliates
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #17
Zedwardson
Minors (Triple A)

Here is a question, how do you set the rules for the minor leagues?

never mind, I figured it out, thank you as I using it to clear out my minors a bit.

Last edited by Zedwardson; 07-29-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Zedwardson is offline   Reply With Quote