Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
lefty_hurler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

* Face By Numbers Update 3/29/2003 *

Face By Numbers, the program that allows users to easily create random faces (and more, as you'll soon see) for fictional leagues has been progressing along very solidly. We're presently beta testing, and I'm constantly working to improve the program's functionality.

One of the things I'm most pleased with is the ability to not only manipulate cartoonish-graphics but the ability to generate and manipulate a photo from pieces of other photos and photo-realistic graphical images.

In the example below, you'll see a ballpark constructed of several pieces. The ball field (which counts as the base layer or bitmap), the outfield fence, the building in the foreground and two advertisements. All of these (except the base layer) can be moved, interchanged (manually or randomly), and made invisible/visible. I could, for example, load a red padded or brick wall as the wall layer and a Pepsi advertisement instead of Liption. I could turn on the layer for outfield stands or display a scoreboard or series of lights. I could then make the whole picture black-and-white for use in my 1930's league or darken the image to make it look like a night game.

As always, I'll keep the board updated on Face by Numbers' progress.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #2
satchel
Hall Of Famer

excellent

This is really sweet. If we could plug in a bunch of eyes and mouths and noses, etc., generated by FaceGen, and then switch them out easily with the FaceByNumbers program, that would make things super smooth and quick.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
Old 04-29-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
lefty_hurler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Re: excellent

Quote:
Originally posted by satchel
This is really sweet. If we could plug in a bunch of eyes and mouths and noses, etc., generated by FaceGen, and then switch them out easily with the FaceByNumbers program, that would make things super smooth and quick.
Yes, I did some tests with some FaceGen output that others have done, and it worked well with FBN. I posted some examples in an earlier post.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Cuss16
Hall Of Famer

i think the only problem with this kind of field production is that the shadows might not be aligned realistically.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #5
lefty_hurler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuss16
i think the only problem with this kind of field production is that the shadows might not be aligned realistically.
True, to some extent. Photoshop has built-in lighting effects that could match the layers to the field/background and get it pretty close. While I didn't use lighting effects on the building in the foreground, I did on the signs and the fence. But don't listen to me, I'm hardly a Photoshop expert.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #6
ZouDave
Major Leagues

lefty, I can't wait for this thing to be done. I've got a ton of generic photos for my players, but I don't like 90% of them. Your utility is going to be awesome...and I can't wait to use it.

Do you have an updated ETA, or are you still looking at mid-to-late May?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #7
lefty_hurler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally posted by ZouDave
lefty, I can't wait for this thing to be done. I've got a ton of generic photos for my players, but I don't like 90% of them. Your utility is going to be awesome...and I can't wait to use it.

Do you have an updated ETA, or are you still looking at mid-to-late May?
That depends on a few things. First and foremost how the initial beta testing goes. So far the bugs have been relatively minor. Secondly, I want to program a plugin module to make the program more versatile without having to change the code. Thirdly (and probably most importantly) I want the program to have the ability to generate convincing random images, and generate them well.

I released FBN (beta) without the plugin module or the random code just to get it out there and begin testing. I've been adding this functionality slowly while documenting the program and putting together more complete FacePacks, like the ballpark FacePack above (although that's far from complete).

As it stands now, I may scrap the plugin module, at least for the first release. I think the ability to generate random images is more important and it seems to be the most valued feature.

I may do one more release under beta in a couple of weeks and open the beta testing to more people. After that, I'll get a better idea of where FBN stands.

Thanks for the interest!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:57 PM   #8
satchel
Hall Of Famer

your work so far

lefty I did see those FaceGen examples you posted earlier, and that’s what inspired my comment. They looked great, I think yours is the perfect system. I would have been a beta tester had I not unexpectedly taken over a whole league just a couple days before you started looking for them. I’ve been watching your project closely the whole time though. I think being able to put faces on fictional players increases pleasure in the game by a big proportion.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59