Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Pivot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Deteriorating Performance ??

In an historical league, I had a pitchers performance drop from about 7-6-7-6-7 to 4-5-4-4-5 as he turned from 26 to 27 year old.Is a drop of this magnitude common? It seem pretty radical to me.... Also, are year to year rating changes based on an individual players historical performance of based on some algorithm in the game???
Pivot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

what does his injury history look like? Do you have recalculate on or is it going by the OOTP engine for development?
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
In an historical league, I had a pitchers performance drop from about 7-6-7-6-7 to 4-5-4-4-5 as he turned from 26 to 27 year old.Is a drop of this magnitude common? It seem pretty radical to me.... Also, are year to year rating changes based on an individual players historical performance of based on some algorithm in the game???
If you're doing a historical league, particularly one with 1-year recalc, yes, this happens. I wouldn't say it happens *often* but if the player tanked from one year to the next it can definitely be a thing.

And yes, ratings are based specifically on player's historical performances. A guy who hits 50 HRs will get a higher Power rating than a guy who hits 25 in the same season. If you do 3-year recalc instead of 1-year you'll see less of these abrupt cliffs, although that also has the added issue (some see this as a feature) that outlier seasons like Roger Maris' 1961 don't happen much of the time (although other outlier seasons do occur, and the flip side is that if you give Maris ratings to where he will *average* 61 HRs, that also means he hits 65 as often as he hits 55, approximately).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

so many factors could be a cause.

even your ltm being recently autocalced after any era change and any extended transition period in an era after a change is important.

you could look at how you have setup recalc of their ratings and smooth it out or change what their potential is based on etc etc...

i've never done much historical, but beyond the names and general initial talent level, people would save themselvs frustration of worrying aobut it following history closely... it shouldn't after just a few years. compounding different decisions over time from that inception... impossible to be similar in a broad view, but that filters down to individuals too.

imagine if roger clemens only played on sub-.500 teams before FA? his numbers would be much lower. was his talent different? nope. he'd still be a steroid-filled rage-monster throwing bats at people for no reason other than fear and insecurity

anyway because of that, i'd suggest hte options that let it go free after it creates the players... allow aging and development to do what they do and let an alternate history form. the more alike to RL, the easier it is to play anyway. you could take advantage of teh AI and trade for players that had peak years following crap years and get a steal all the time. you could know when someone is going to go on a ~10 year tear of amazing performances etc etc...

it's basically cheating, lol.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote