Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #101
andrewdodd82
Bat Boy

Impressions...

I've played OOTP since '13 and it's the premier baseball game for sure...however i feel as if it's stagnated a little in recent years. The improvements year after year are great, but i feel as if I'm just playing a patched version of the old years gone by.

As a Brit i play a lot of Football Manager and i understand that game has a big company behind it but it really has developed into something immersive, with everything you can possibly do available and i was hoping Ootp would follow.

I don't care so much about the 3D game play at all, the extra little extra bits like added stats and spray charts are welcomed. I want to see more of a GM/baseball ops side coming through, with hiring of departments to expand your teams analysis. Much like you'd see with teams who embrace that side of the game in reality, the better your stat guys the clearer information you get. An organisation with top guys has much better chance of winning than one with few. Astros...

It would be cool to build a department of an organisation to really improve it that way rather than just signing international free agents for $5M every year. Its so annoying to have only 8 members of personal. Theo Epstein and Andrew Friedman unemployed every year...

Also, this could link in with player development. Improving players, making pitch changes, getting them to tweak things. Work on xyz in the offseason. Players coming back 'in the best shape of their life' etc etc.

Its annoying to see players with 60 grade skills hitting around the Mendoza line year after year and me having no idea why or being able to change it! Could the manager have a word, or ask him to work on something to change his performance perhaps?

I love this game and will continue to play but i'd like to see big changes in the future for sure!
andrewdodd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #102
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
I appreciate the opinions of the not-fan-bots that have posted here.

OOTP: you want to play in the bigs? Take the hits. That's my advice. Fan-bots will spoil ya, the John Henry's notwithstanding....

Look- I know a few thing about software. So, this is a very marginal, extremely marginal field - text-driven baseball sims. I get it. And you really utilize the freeware available (hence the decision to pursue, of all things, 3D graphics for a text-based sim.... *smh* :-) ).

Whokay. Were this the late 80s then adding a 3D engine to a text-driven sim might seem cool. It isnt though. So now if feels like silly. Have you seen your competitors in graphics?

Look, from a gamer's experience in an extremely niche field, you may feel like superheros. I understand that. But look at it from a simple software perspective. And by the way: if John Henry's financial software or online racing sim software ran like this you'd never hear of him.

And that is my point. There are things here that are fundamentally busted. And I feel like I am talking about a friends "special needs" brother who seems to put out the effort on the job site but... just isn't getting it.

In short, I agree with a post above: I think you've taken this series as far as you can. I'll add to that and suggest you aren't actually programmers. Maybe that's what Henry was alluding to. That you were able to make this without programming backgrounds. You are pouring more time into configuring freeware software than doing something about the game basics. To me, that is a major clue. 3D graphics is freeware. Fixing how stats windows are sorted and those types of bugs and issues is 101 programming.

Re "special needs" comment - take it for what it's worth. Were I to load this sw up for spreadsheets or db etc I would howl fraud. Not trying to be mean. But there are so many things busted and bent.

And I say this without having purchased 20. I did buy 19 though. And after a few weeks or so I gave it up.

No doubt though, you are the best of class. I don't doubt that. I only write this due to the money spent so far. But more than that, the many hours spent, trying to get something to work that was, and remains (I'll bet) broken out of the box.

Best of luck.
Do you mean they have taken this as far as they can because they are concentrating 3d and face gen?
If so I agree.
There are so many cool things they can incorporate...STATS STATS STATS....
Challenges.....
Better historical accuracy
Better ways to meld real world with your own expansion.
Online play.....
on and on
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #103
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT193404 View Post
Bought this game on steam and looking to be able to download logos, but nothing is on the workshop and the traditional add on central isnt there. Anyway I can download files or add servers like I could in 18?

Otherwise, great game. Seems to be worth the two-year upgrade, could I get an update on this though?
agree! mods, logos, ballparks, pics, pics from year to year...integrate it or have a better way to integrate if there are licensing issues.
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #104
amwendwa
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
Do you mean they have taken this as far as they can because they are concentrating 3d and face gen?
If so I agree.
There are so many cool things they can incorporate...STATS STATS STATS....
Challenges.....
Better historical accuracy
Better ways to meld real world with your own expansion.
Online play.....
on and on

Your entire post doesn't make any sense!!!

What does this even mean... "STATS, STATS, STATS???" what are you talking about, what stats are missing and what stats would you like added to the game? Maybe try to be specific if you going to raise legitimate concerns.

"Challenges" - Again what challenges are you talking about??

"Better historical accuracy" - What is not historically accurate, what can they correct historically that is not reflecting on the game?

"Better ways to meld real world with our own expansion" - Oh my goodness what exactly does this even mean?? Please be more specific and give examples or constructive criticism not just vague statements that don't mean anything.

It is okay to be critical about something, but please point to real specific issues with proper examples.

Last edited by amwendwa; 04-03-2019 at 02:35 PM.
amwendwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #105
MickDaQuick
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwendwa View Post
What does this even mean... "STATS, STATS, STATS???" what are you talking about, what stats are missing and what stats would you like added to the game? Maybe try to be specific if you going to raise legitimate concerns.
I won't speak for OP, but I do have suggestions for more stats:
1. personal: win shares; offensive win%; team record when batting position and fielding starts; sortable streaks.
2. team: record in each playoff series; total playoff game record; furthest ahead/behind; park factors for season played.
MickDaQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #106
vukomanovic
Minors (Single A)

I love the game, just like I've loved every single one since I started playing a few years ago.

There's two things I'd like the developers to consider though:

- Players should not only have ratings but also like a value grade, so trading offline could make more sense. A LF, aged 30, with 45 overall is not worth as much as a SP, aged 25, with 45 overall. The grade wouldn't only account for position but age, contract, etc.

- Young players - especially position players - ratings are way too high in my opinión. Cody Bellinger can't have 65 contact and 70 potential when he's a lifetime .260 batter.

But I love the game and will keep playing just because I think there's an actual will to keep improving the product and let's be honest, there's nothing out there as good as OOTP
vukomanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #107
Ekcut
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc32 View Post
The trade AI needs some SERIOUS work. I just simmed through a year with the Blue Jays and here are a couple of the offers I received.

Dodgers offered David Freese for Ryan Tepera and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Giants offered Jeff Samardzija for Danny Jansen and Bo Bichette.

Is that a joke? Where is the AI improvement in that? If I made an offer like that to the AI, they would reject it before I clicked submit.
Perhaps the AI GM has a scout who thinks Vlad is just a 3* prospect?

I look at offers like that the same as I do the offers (and trades) I make in my online league with very low scout accuracy. I have made deals for 5* prospects (in my scouts eyes) for guys I was about to waive. There are a TON of offers like the Vlad offer in this league from human GM's, fishing hoping that the guy your scout ranks as the 2nd coming, is a useless mouth to feed on his current team.
One scouts trash is another scout's treasure. Just because YOUR scout says Vlad is great, doesn't mean his does.

An offer for a prospect, no matter how bad, I will not blame on bad AI. It's fog of war. If there is an offer for my sub 3 era SP with 250K's for a 36yr old utility IF, THAT is an AI issue (which I haven't seen)
Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #108
gglennwill
Minors (Triple A)

Love It!

Just tried OOTP20 for the first time and Im really loving it. So far my favorite new feature is the Tournament setting in Exhibition Mode. This is so neat! For me this alone made the game worth it. I did a tournament with all of the Dodger teams this century (and millenium) and it worked great. The champ was the 2017 Dodgers. Also love the different tournament choices. You can do the normal bracket elimination method, double elimination or round robin with teams from any era. Plus the new 3D graphics are great too. Only complaint is that in the live mode the stats were not updated although the standings and everything else seemed updated correctly.

Thanks guys for a great game once again!
gglennwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #109
andrewdodd82
Bat Boy

Just another thing...can we get a confirmation on deals please? The amount of time i try and sign free agent relievers just to get offers in and they all sign and i end up with 6 free agent receivers. I want to offer the deal and then at least pass off on it, not have it be down to the player!
andrewdodd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #110
PaulContinuum
Bat Boy

Can't get into Perfect Team - it forgot my screen name and password

And since there's a cap of only one what's your password per day, I'm stuck.
PaulContinuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #111
Tom88
Minors (Double A)

When will the next patch?
Tom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #112
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Brief first impression

Trade AI won't accept any deals in my fictional league. I find players that the AI and I rate differently (them lower, me higher) to try to find value. Hit the Make the Deal Work button, and even though I have two top 10 players in the game, nothing works for even mediocre prospects. "You have no players..." I even tried adding ludicrous amounts of cash, and still nothing. It's beyond frustrating.

Other thing is that the graphs on my front office page (Record History, etc.) are compressed to the point of unreadability.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #113
Reed
All Star Starter

Are people still logging their first impressions or has this become the bug/wishlist thread?
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #114
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

last couple updates happened during offseason. finally playing games again & the animations seem greatly improved from just a few versions ago. could be just me, but they look & move much better.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #115
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I would be happy with the game if it would just stop crashing,

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #116
Logolab77
Minors (Single A)

Citizens bank Park black awning ???

Overall this is a great game...I remember way back when imagining how much better the game would be with 3d live graphics,so when I checked up on the game in 2018 I was blown away.

However the spoiler for me (from Philly) is citizens bank park...does anyone know why in the world the dugout has a blank black awning over the dugout ???

In 19 and 20.

For me personally it messes up the realiZim of the game,now I dreed playing in Philly and as gm wold not consider a offer to gm there just for that reason.

Uploading a more accurate Park is not an option as I have tried for hours with 19 and can't seem to get that function to complete

So unfortunately for me it's not playable at the moment.

Last edited by Logolab77; 05-10-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Logolab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #117
Im New to This
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Exclamation A few issues when entering live start

Loving the game so far but a few issues with the most recent patch

The roster transactions are wayyyy out of whack when starting a season on the present day, but there were issues with opening day rosters as well. (for example Alen Hanson already being on the Blue Jays before the Kevin Pillar trade)

Also for some reason the rosters are expanded to 40 out the gate and I can't change it in the settings because it say the active roster limit is already at 25.

just some potential patch Ideas for the next one.

Im New to This is offline   Reply With Quote