Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

What kind of league structures do you use?

I have an MLB league with full minors and international and Indy leagues. Do I am running every available league available. I am wondering if trying to keep up with all of these leagues is just too much. Teams fold, move etc...

I am considering running a MLB & milb league just for ease. The game will generate international free agents and such. I realize I'd be sacrificing realism and immersiveness for manageability and ease.

Just curious what others think?

EDIT: One more thing I thought of...my game might be more challenging also without all of the international talent floating around. I realize there will be "generated players"...but when you have actual leagues, I think there's a number of more talented players floating around.....any thoughts on this?

Last edited by PSUColonel; 12-04-2016 at 06:53 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

That's what I do. Just MLB and MiLB. As you said, it will introduce international free agents, but since I started in 2016 and am going forward, everything will eventually be fictional anyway.

I suppose you could always re-name some of the generated international players, giving them the names of real players who have similar attributes.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
That's what I do. Just MLB and MiLB. As you said, it will introduce international free agents, but since I started in 2016 and am going forward, everything will eventually be fictional anyway.

I suppose you could always re-name some of the generated international players, giving them the names of real players who have similar attributes.

I'm not really worried about that...the part I don't like, is when you start the game, there are too many good into free agents which were ARE real and were included in the 2016 roster set. There's also way too many good staff when you have international leagues included.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post

Yeah, this is what I do with a few changes. I don't like having all the leagues so I condensed down to only 4 minor leagues, R-AAA. I actually delete the Rookie League and make Low A my rookie league because I'm from the Dayton area and I want to keep the Dragons.

Last edited by Andy; 12-04-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I'm not really worried about that...the part I don't like, is when you start the game, there are too many good into free agents which were ARE real and were included in the 2016 roster set. There's also way too many good staff when you have international leagues included.
I don't play with international leagues enabled (just the International League ) so I can't really speak to that. I was happy with the number of free agents available in the MLB/MiLB only quickstart, as they mostly seemed to be former MLB/MiLB players. I did some pairing down of the available staff to get rid of ones who didn't have Major League experience, or significant (i.e. 15+ years) international experience, and the outright made-up staff (at least ones that didn't have a Google trail). That took a while.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I realize I'd be sacrificing realism and immersiveness for manageability and ease.

Just curious what others think?
I'm curious about this concept of realism and immersiveness. I can't keep up with real life baseball in full so I don't. Same applies to OOTP. In a more manageable format the realism and immersiveness seems fine to me. YMMV.

For example I'm at the trade deadline in my league but I don't have the players/prospects to trade for pitching. I'll make the playoffs but it's unlikely I can win. That's real.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 12-04-2016 at 10:32 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'm curious about this concept of realism and immersiveness. I can't keep up with real life baseball in full so I don't. Same applies to OOTP. In a more manageable format the realism and immersiveness seems fine to me. YMMV.

For example I'm at the trade deadline in my league but I don't have the players/prospects to trade for pitching. I'll make the playoffs but it's unlikely I can win. That's real.
So I guess you're saying you use the core MLB + MiLB setup?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I guess you're saying you use the core MLB + MiLB setup?
Yep. It's manageable.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

i have decided to use all the professional leagues included in OOTP, but not the independent leagues. I also deleted all staff, and then manually added a whole bunch of staff with all unknown reputations. SO I like the idea of having Nippon, Cuba, Mexicao etc...but I just don't want to have to deal with the Can/Am or PECOS and so forth.