Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
Benz0709
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Clearing Out Minor League System

Do you guys ever do this? I never manually release players under minor league contract or from the international complex, and normally just use the tool that allows you to extend all minor league free agents with one click under "Upcoming FA." This has caused quite the build up of players in my minor league system with 177 players on my AZL-R team.

Do you guys ever go through any manually release older players that you know will never develop into major league talent?

Would there be a benefit of doing this? Are all these low-potential players making a dent in my player expenses?

Last edited by Benz0709; 05-05-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Benz0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz0709 View Post
Do you guys ever do this? I never manually release players under minor league contract or from the international complex, and normally just use the tool that allows you to extend all minor league free agents with one click under "Upcoming FA." This has caused quite the build up of players in my minor league system with 177 players on my AZL-R team.

Do you guys ever go through any manually release older players that you know will never develop into major league talent?

Would there be a benefit of doing this? Are all these low-potential players making a dent in my player expenses?

I always keep all levels of my minors at a reasonable roster size. With that many people on your rookie roster, most likely you are really inhibiting their growth, because no one is getting any playing time.

Alternately, only a handful of players or getting playing time, and there is no reason to have 140 other players.

It shouldn't affect your finances though, unless you're carrying a bunch of minor leaders who have major league contracts.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Everyday and twice on Sunday.

I play with real world roster limits (total limits not how many can play on a given day).
FAQs: The Business of MiLB | MiLB.com Official Info | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Triple-A: International, Pacific Coast — 25 active.
Double-A: Eastern, Southern, Texas — 25 active.
Class A Advanced: California, Carolina, Florida State — 25 active; 35 under control;
Class A Short-Season: New York-Penn, Northwest — 35 active.
Rookie: Appalachian, Pioneer, Arizona, Gulf Coast leagues — 35 active.
Rookie: Venezuelan Summer, Dominican Summer — 35 active.

So I have to cut minor leaguers who aren't moving up. Even if you have unlimited rookies I am always afraid the AI will start a no potential guy with high for the rookie league guy over a potential star from high school.

I loosely enforce the real life age limits and service limits
High A no more than 6 years minor league service translates to me no one over 27. (real rules have allow a team to have a couple of guys here.
low A five years service so if they are not ready for high A by 26 I cut them. (this gives HS guys 8 years but I don't want to look up every minor league service time).
SA 4 years 22 or 25 y/o. (22 for those drafted at 18 and 25 for those who were 21). Most of the time up to 25 years so I don't have to look at each profile.
Rookie 3 years 21 or 25 years old (easier here to guess the service time)
VSL/DSL 4 years like SA

I self impose real world rules on myself. There are advantages to keeping your minors under control regardless.

1. Really even at 35 players your rookie leagues have guys who want play much. If you let AI pick lineups there is higher chance they play a college kid who is going no where or a 18 y/o potential phenomem with higher ceiling.
2. You should be moving kids up every year or 2. Those scrubs hanging around in rookie are doing you no favors. If a kid doesn't move up I cut him.
3. More immersion. It is easier to follow 155 players and have an idea of who they are and their potential than 300. You can more easily keep track of your potential stars without having to look at 2 career minor leaguer for each prospect. It makes it much easier to track your prospects.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the suggestions Biggs

All of my clubs carry 25 players

5 SP, 6 RP, 1 CL

2 C 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3b, 1SS, 2 EIF (Extra infielders), 3 OF and 2 EOF

Last edited by Sabres2000; 05-07-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

Biggio pretty much nailed the nitty gritty of it. I usually clean house right at the beginning of the season and then again after the draft.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman View Post
Biggio pretty much nailed the nitty gritty of it. I usually clean house right at the beginning of the season and then again after the draft.
I just finished my post Spring Training house clearing. I do my second clearing not after the draft, but the day before so I'm making room for the new draftees.