Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #1
PromisedPain
Minors (Double A)

Player ability not updating?

Hello! So far I am enjoying the new patch, you guys did a fine job. But I have a problem with player abilities not updating. So far I'm already 2 seasons into the game and for example; Reinhart has sick skills but his ability has not improved from 6.5a. I've tried scouting my own team without results, also scouting the player gives me "player is already heavily scouted" - message.

I'm pretty sure that his skills far exceed that of a 6.5a player!
PromisedPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPain View Post
I'm pretty sure that his skills far exceed that of a 6.5a player!
They displayed skills do, but what's going on there is the skills are being affected by scouting error and appear quite a bit higher than they actually are. His Ability is increased by that error, as well, but there's a restriction on the amount of exaggeration there (since a guy's current skill level is a lot harder to evaluate incorrectly than his future one.) I opened up a save from a test game that was a year later than yours and checked Reinhart, and his actual skills were 2-4 points lower than what you're seeing (even with the extra year of development.) So his real skills in your game are probably about 3 points lower than what you're seeing, which would indeed put him into the 6.5ish range.

It's confusing, and I think what we need to do is restrict the errors in displaying skills in the same way we limit the one in ability, probably to one point either way.

Re: the attempts to scout him further, you can't get him beyond a-level (and your own players are always scouted to that level.) There's still scouting error remaining at that point because the evaluation skills of your staff are imperfect, and can't remove all of it even at the top level of scouting.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
PromisedPain
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
They displayed skills do, but what's going on there is the skills are being affected by scouting error and appear quite a bit higher than they actually are. His Ability is increased by that error, as well, but there's a restriction on the amount of exaggeration there (since a guy's current skill level is a lot harder to evaluate incorrectly than his future one.) I opened up a save from a test game that was a year later than yours and checked Reinhart, and his actual skills were 2-4 points lower than what you're seeing (even with the extra year of development.) So his real skills in your game are probably about 3 points lower than what you're seeing, which would indeed put him into the 6.5ish range.

It's confusing, and I think what we need to do is restrict the errors in displaying skills in the same way we limit the one in ability, probably to one point either way.

Re: the attempts to scout him further, you can't get him beyond a-level (and your own players are always scouted to that level.) There's still scouting error remaining at that point because the evaluation skills of your staff are imperfect, and can't remove all of it even at the top level of scouting.
For some strange reason I was fired as a Panthers' GM, even thought I set "cannot be fired" (possibly a bug?) After I was fired, I rejoined the Panthers and Reinhert's ability was showing a 8.5a/9.0a (Also part of scouting error?) Although his skills were no different from before. I was also fired a 2nd time, only a few weeks after rejoining the Panthers. Now I'm on the job a 3rd time, and have not been fired yet.

Maybe Reinhart in my game has developed faster? I've been playing him in the 2nd line since the draft day, he is now my first line center (41+33 this season, kinda crazy) Also I've been focusing on his offensive skills.
PromisedPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just an idea... Shouldn't your players have lower error? After all you see them every day on practice and in games. I'm not saying that the error should be removed wholly but maybe it should be lower than at players your scouts saw only several times.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPain View Post
For some strange reason I was fired as a Panthers' GM, even thought I set "cannot be fired" (possibly a bug?) After I was fired, I rejoined the Panthers and Reinhert's ability was showing a 8.5a/9.0a (Also part of scouting error?)
This happened to me as well. I thought the Ability just isn't updating as players improve/decline but I don't know..
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

OK, Malte's investigated further and it looks like there's a problem with the game not correctly updating the abilities on your own active roster. So he's fixing that, and I think we'll also need to adjust the way the attribute error gets displayed.

The firing while you've got "do not fire" selected is a bug as well - the game is checking for that setting, but it's not being activated correctly when it's chosen during game setup.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, Malte's investigated further and it looks like there's a problem with the game not correctly updating the abilities on your own active roster. So he's fixing that, and I think we'll also need to adjust the way the attribute error gets displayed.
Does it update correctly the abilities of the players not on your active roster (i.e. in minor teams or in opponent teams)? If not, is it the same bug or is it intended to not update them?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
Does it update correctly the abilities of the players not on your active roster (i.e. in minor teams or in opponent teams)? If not, is it the same bug or is it intended to not update them?
bump
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
pumppe
Bat Boy

Is there anyway to update own players abilities?
pumppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumppe View Post
Is there anyway to update own players abilities?
One cheat I used was to enable Commissioner mode and resign from my team and then immediately take control of it again. Works fine but I think it reset some of my scouting and it probably resets the your status with the owner. The results were impressive though. I was playing the Sabres and all my prospects were in the 6-6.5 Ability range. After 2 seasons I was frustrated not seeing their ratings updating and tried the above. All of a sudden my team looked completely different with guys now rated 7-8. Did not realize they'd developed that much.

To me this is actually a high priority issue.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
Duranium
All Star Starter

The Issue exists since day 1 and is still very annoying - didn´t play much since the patch arrived but i assume the option of edit player - save changes still exists to update the players.
Anyway, hotfixing or at least adressing this glitch with the next update would be very important imo.

Nevertheless, keep up the great efforts to further improve the game

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Looks the same but two different problems:

The problem you reported to me was only happening in historical mode and was fixed with patch 1.6.2. The new problem (own player not getting updated Talent) is a scouting problem, is fixed now and will be part of the next patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
The Issue exists since day 1 and is still very annoying - didn´t play much since the patch arrived but i assume the option of edit player - save changes still exists to update the players.
Anyway, hotfixing or at least adressing this glitch with the next update would be very important imo.

Nevertheless, keep up the great efforts to further improve the game
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Duranium
All Star Starter

cool, Seb - thx for the quick reply

just started my first game starting in 1967 again and will see how it looks like on July 1st 1968.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
plzhelpme
Bat Boy

edit: nvm got it

Last edited by plzhelpme; 03-20-2014 at 02:47 PM.
plzhelpme is offline   Reply With Quote