Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
tajoumaru
Minors (Double A)

How is your fictional league set up?

My storyline is that MLB collapsed after the 1994 strike and a new league rose from the ashes, its inaugural season being 2000.

The Americal Baseball Federation plays a 150-game season (which I believe to be a perfect number of games). There are 24 teams divided into two leagues, each with three divisions (four teams per). There's no interleague play; teams from opposite leagues don't meet until the All-America Series. It was a difficult decision but I went with the DH rule in both leagues.

My league consists of about one-third foreign players, with a fair number of Europeans, Africans, and South Americans (including Brazilians, Chileans, and Argentines). I've changed several countries to be more baseball-friendly, including some African and south Asian nations (like India).

I'm curious about how the fictional leagues of others are constructed.
tajoumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
johnnybourbon
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajoumaru View Post
My storyline is that MLB collapsed after the 1994 strike and a new league rose from the ashes, its inaugural season being 2000.

The Americal Baseball Federation plays a 150-game season (which I believe to be a perfect number of games). There are 24 teams divided into two leagues, each with three divisions (four teams per). There's no interleague play; teams from opposite leagues don't meet until the All-America Series. It was a difficult decision but I went with the DH rule in both leagues.

My league consists of about one-third foreign players, with a fair number of Europeans, Africans, and South Americans (including Brazilians, Chileans, and Argentines). I've changed several countries to be more baseball-friendly, including some African and south Asian nations (like India).

I'm curious about how the fictional leagues of others are constructed.
Similar to yours, 'cept I use the '81 squabble as the beginning point (starting in '82)
24 teams, 2 leagues, 2 divisions in each
164 game season, weighted with more games for within same division
no interleague
dh rule across the board
just added wild cards to playoffs, previously it had been division winners only
On the corpse. My question is...
No, my question. I get to go first. Why in pluperfect hell would you pee on corpse?
Quote:
Cause there's a 50-50 chance a malnourished monkey is gonna pop up out of a toilet, shoot you in the face with a speargun.
johnnybourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Mine is a classic 16 team set-up. But, it's all fictional including the cities. There is also an independent league (24 teams) attached. Players can jump from there to the bigs. You can read more about it by clicking on the link in my sig.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I play several fictional leagues--some US-based, a couple foreign, one global.

All of them have several things in common. I never use the DH rule and never have interleague play. I always use finances, and I always leave foreigner levels at around 30%. Also, I use AAA, AA and A level minors.

I've never modifed the baseball level of the countries in a league universe before--how is that working out? I've thought about doing that, but wondered if it would impact other leagues that I play. I don't have the game runinng right now, and I don't remember if you modify national baseball levels in-game or when you are in the process of creating a league.

My global league has 24 teams--two leagues with three divisions of four teams each. The divisions are regional: one European, one North American, one African, one Asian, etc. The teams are based in cities I've either visited or like for other reasons.

My United Baseball League is an integrated league that started in 1950 and consists of Negro League teams and fictional teams.

My Summer Baseball League started in 2003 and is US-based. Again, all fictional teams. I chose team names based on jerseys I particularly liked in the mods forum. Someone made a great looking jersey for a fictional team called the Anacondas, and so I grabbed it for my Billings, Montana team.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
tajoumaru
Minors (Double A)

I've only got a US-based league right now, but next I'll be creating a Euro league and an Asian league. Several of my US teams have old-school nicknames like the Detroit Wolverines (NL team from 1881-88), New York Highlanders (pre-Yankees name from 1903-12), Boston Beaneaters (Atlanta Braves from 1893-1906), and so on. Others have more colorful nicknames like Squid, Vampires, and Capuchins. I'm playing with making logos using Photoshop but I'm lazy and it'll take forever.
tajoumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
unterbau
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I set up a global league with 1 sub-league of 7 divisions (N America, S America, W Europe, E Europe, E Asia, C Asia, Africa) and 36 teams. Still set to 162 games, but due to the number of teams in the league I use a four round playoff with seeds (top two teams from each division + 2 WC). Initially I used a basic playoffs, but I felt too many good teams were being left out.

unterbau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
stevebydac
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
Mine is a classic 16 team set-up. But, it's all fictional including the cities. There is also an independent league (24 teams) attached. Players can jump from there to the bigs. You can read more about it by clicking on the link in my sig.
Very interesting DreamTeams. I've thought of doing something similar. A couple questions...

1. What country do your players come from in the text files? There is no US, Cuba etc, right?

2. No minors? What happens when major leaguers are injured, etc? Are there trades with your indy league? (EDIT: I see you were trying reserve rosters. How has that worked?) Please tell us more. Thanks!

Did you ever see that SimCity mod that someone did here? He built a map for a fictional world like yours but in SimCity. Really cool (but a lot of extra work).

Last edited by stevebydac; 06-06-2009 at 07:52 PM.
stevebydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Similarly to tajoumaru, our league's fiction involves the dissolution of MLB (for us, it happened in 2006). The league collapsed under the weight of out-of-control spending and the loss of public trust over the use of steroids. From its ashes, the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance (PEBA) was born, a 24-team league with franchises based largely in small-to-mid sized markets in an effort to better connect to the common fan. After a rocky start, the league has flourished financially in recent years, enough so that it was recently able to purchase the 12-team League of the Rising Sun (LRS), the preeminent Japanese baseball league in our universe. The current 2010 season is the first for the LRS as a PEBA-owned and operated entity.

You can view the hierarchy of our universe here. Our news archive is filled with PEBA-related back story. Apologies for the formatting issues and broken links you may encounter; we recently made a server change, and until our conversion scripts are ready the articles will look a little messy.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebydac View Post
Very interesting DreamTeams. I've thought of doing something similar. A couple questions...

What country do your players come from in the text files? There is no US, Cuba etc, right?
Correct. Created a custom nations and city file that includes about 200 fictional city names. So, all of the players come from the fictional cities in my fictional country, Metropolitan Republic. No foriegn players enter the league. I even created a fictional flag to represent the country. The country is about half the size of the U.S. with the furthest city in the west being as far away as Houston is from New York. I did use U.S. city latitudes and longitudes to set up my city file. That made things easier since I'm familiar with distances between U.S. cities.

Quote:
No minors? What happens when major leaguers are injured, etc? Are there trades with your indy league?
The majors have a 25 man roster plus a 15 player reserve roster from which to replace injured players. There is also an FA pool, as well.

Yes, the Indy teams do trade with each other only, but not with major clubs.

Quote:
(EDIT: I see you were trying reserve rosters. How has that worked?) Please tell us more. Thanks!
The reserve rosters have worked out great. I'm really happy that we can now limit reserve roster sizes in OOTPX. Mine are now limited to 15 players. I'd go with 10 reserve players if the game allowed it. One of the cool things about the reserve roster is that players still develop while on it.

Quote:
Did you ever see that SimCity mod that someone did here? He built a map for a fictional world like yours but in SimCity. Really cool (but a lot of extra work).
Yes. It was a good looking map. Nice the way it showed mountains and forest areas. I've looked at other map making software for making maps, but I'm quite satisfied with mine.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
Arlie Latham
Major Leagues

I started in the year 1800, with most of the major league teams I liked and maybe could exist in the year 1800. The Louisiana Purchase wasn't until 1803, so a few of my franchises would be only a small town, or maybe just a fort.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/Arlie_Latham/
Arlie Latham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

English Baseball League, started in 1946 by US military Starts off as 8 teams in 2 divisions, becomes 10 teams in 1960 and 12 in 1986, moving to 3 divisions of 4. 4 levels of minors, AAA, AA, A and Short Season.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I'm working on setting up a baseball league centered around the Great Lakes states + Ontario using 1984 settings. Got the nations file edited as states + province with ethnicities as I like them (gotta have plenty of Germans with some Poles, Swedes, and Norwegians mixed in ). Also got a template setup for ML, AAA, A, and Short A with college feeders. Ready to start some test leagues. Then it is on to logo/uniform collection and creation, though I'll probably get antsy and start before they are completely done.

I also made a custom college schedule to mimic more realistic college schedules (Tue/Wed out of conference games, Fri-Sun in conference with Sat doubleheaders, last weekend against in-state rival). Still needs a little work, but almost there. I also need to create the opposite home/away version to alternate every other year.

One thing I am missing is a good back story. I guess I don't *really* need one, but it always helps the fantasy. Might turn it into a dynasty if it is interesting enough.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 06-23-2009 at 11:34 AM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

My USA league consists of 32 teams broken up into two sub-leagues with four four-team divisions in each. Only division winners make it to the playoffs. As such, there are 30 games per division opponent and 6 for each non-division opponent, equaling 162 games in total. There is no interleague play.

I use the DH rule for all, as being from an American League city (Boston), I have always loved the DH.

I don't really like to tweak settings for countries, as it is fine as is (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).
Zeppelin462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
jtb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsairs View Post
Similarly to tajoumaru, our league's fiction involves the dissolution of MLB (for us, it happened in 2006). The league collapsed under the weight of out-of-control spending and the loss of public trust over the use of steroids. From its ashes, the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance (PEBA) was born, a 24-team league with franchises based largely in small-to-mid sized markets in an effort to better connect to the common fan. After a rocky start, the league has flourished financially in recent years, enough so that it was recently able to purchase the 12-team League of the Rising Sun (LRS), the preeminent Japanese baseball league in our universe. The current 2010 season is the first for the LRS as a PEBA-owned and operated entity.

You can view the hierarchy of our universe here. Our news archive is filled with PEBA-related back story. Apologies for the formatting issues and broken links you may encounter; we recently made a server change, and until our conversion scripts are ready the articles will look a little messy.
I just saw this old thread and have to tell you that is one outstanding website and league!
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Dream Teams I really like your web page. My time with the Dodgers was before yours. Guys like Sandy Koufax, Drysdale, Wills, the Davis boys. Listening to Scully and Doggett on the transister radio. Going up to Chavez Ravine to watch them play. Along with Elgin Baylor and Jerry West of the Lakers. Like you I was never good at playing baseball but did well at basketball. Used to love hanging in the air for a while before shooting, just like Elgin. What a coincidence. Unfortunately I now live out of the area and miss blue. I'm going to copy your league if you don't mind and set up something similar, I'll turn off financials though. Thanks for sharing that.

Last edited by Cornelius McGillicuddy; 11-05-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Cornelius McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
Ghorticus
Minors (Single A)

My league is named the North American Baseball League (NABL), consisting of 1 league of 12 teams all in one division. There are 5 teams from Canada, 6 from USA and 1 from Mexico. Top 2 teams face each other in a grueling Best-of-Nine championship series. $100M salary cap, $30M cash cap, no DH.

I play out ALL my games, started soon after the release of OOTP 9. Currently playing my 10th season. My team, the Calgary Kings, have made it to the championships 6 out of 9 years, and have won it 4 times.

I really love this small-league format, it promotes intimate knowledge about all the players in the league. I'd suggest it to anyone looking for a different experience.
Ghorticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
Athletics17
All Star Starter

In the Golden League(not origional, but I like it) I have 48 teams in two leagues with four divisions with six teams apiece. The four division winners make the three round playoffs(best of 5,7,7). I just restarted in 1902 and am simming for 30-40 years and am going to take over the worst franchise. It has three levels of minor leagues and possibly High school/college feeder leagues. DH rules for both leagues, the other options are very similar to MLB(waivers, rule 5, ect.).

I initially had six divisions with four teams apiece and had 16 teams, 8 from each league(6 div. winners, 2 wildcard) make the playoffs with a tourney style approach. It didn't work right to many teams were making the playoffs.

I am hoping this new league turns out right. All the teams have custom uni's with cap/jersey logos to be able to change styles. A lot of work into it.

Athletics17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
slickphipsi
Minors (Single A)

My United Baseball League started in 1894 with eight clubs (New York, Boston, Hartford, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Baltimore, and Harrisburg). I've been playing every game as Hartford, and I'm mid-way through the 1895 season.

The league uses the DH, a small draft class each year supporting just AAA and AA and teams play 136 games a year. The top four advance to the playoffs. It's a small league allowing me to become very familiar with my opponents.

I'm also working on a fictional league similar to the above-mentioned Metro League. That's more of an experiment in modifying and creating cities.

Last edited by slickphipsi; 12-08-2009 at 01:24 PM.
slickphipsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #19
bcrizla
Bat Boy

I have one independant league from Ontario which began play in 1934. It has two leagues, Northern Ontario League (NOL) and the Southern Ontario League (SOL). The top two teams from each league play a best out of seven Ontario Series.

Ontario Baseball League
OBL

Northern Ontario League
Thunder Bay
Sudbury
Sault Ste Marie
Ottawa
Kingston
Barrie
Peterbourgh
Oshawa

Southern League
Toronto
Niagara Falls
Hamilton
London
Kitchener
Guelph
Windsor
Sarnia

The most successful team is Niagara Falls with 4 Ontario Series after 8 seasons.
bcrizla is offline   Reply With Quote