Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Arlie Latham
Major Leagues

Should I buy OOTP 9 or 10?

For the past several weeks, I've been playing OOTP 8. I took a looongg break playing a certain world wide MMO and I've been getting my OOTP groove back into gear. I'm a long time OOTP player, having discovered the game through a retail product called Season Ticket Baseball.

Now I'm wondering if I should keep playing and enjoying OOTP 8 or upgrade to 9 or even 10.

Here are my concerns:

I've put a ton of work into this OOTP universe. I've got a historical Major League and a fictional league, along with two independent minor leagues.

The Database I use has players debuting when they hit the minors and some of the better negro league players as well.

I'm having a blast with OOTP 8, but I see some features in 9 that I'd like to have, particularly the ability to make players become coaches.

I'm leaning towards 9 because it's been through more patching than the brand new OOTP 10, which will have to be put through the paces by the OOTP community.

Can I import 8 into 9?

I'd welcome your thoughts, either through the forums or private message.

The price of either one is not an issue. For something that provides a year's worth of entertainment for 30 or 40 bucks? It's not even a question.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/Arlie_Latham/
Arlie Latham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Siv
Major Leagues

Personally I think you should wait for OOTP X and continue to enjoy yourself with 8 until all the patching is done. OOTP 10 will surely be an upgrade over 9 adding many features we are yet to see, so waiting a bit longer and enjoying your current universe is a strong costly effiencient plan in my opinion.
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Well 9 is a huge upgrade over 8 as I am assuming 10 will be over 9.

Ten will probably have all the major bugs out of it by the middle of June(release sometime in May first patch usually takes less than a week) which is only 1 month away plus with the AI improvements that have been promised I would probably wait that month.

The thing is Im not sure if you can import from 8 to 10 but I know you can from 8 to 9.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

At this point, skip 9, buy 10, and convert your league in September.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
TavesSoul
Minors (Double A)

Okay, I thought I would just piggy-back on this thread, rather then start a whole new one, especially since I find myself in a similar, yet slightly different situation.

Here's the deal: for a long time I've played Baseball Mogul. I had given an older OOTP version a shot once, but at the time, the depth of it was a hindrance to me, since I wasn't exactly well versed in baseball (I live in Canada, and baseball isn't near that big a deal here). I always enjoyed following the game, but I was never enough of a fan that I felt the need to explore the depths. Over the past four/five years I've been playing fantasy baseball as well, and now I've gotten much deeper into my understanding of it. So, I downloaded the OOTP 9 demo instead of getting the new BM. I really enjoyed it, until I hit the automatic halfway point, must purchase it now. That was about a month and a half ago.

I went to purchase it, and I realized that version 10 was apparently going to be released sometime in the coming couple months, so I thought about waiting for it, since I had other games/tv/school work to keep me busy. Now, May has come, and I've only got one summer course, and loads of extra free-time, with not so much money to buy other games. Now, I'm really itching to play, and I'm just wondering if the differences between the two in your guys opinions will be great enough that waiting the 2-3 extra weeks for it to come out with no Out Of The Park to play at all is worth it. Remember that I don't have the extra cash to buy both, or else this would be an easy fix.
TavesSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TavesSoul View Post
Okay, I thought I would just piggy-back on this thread, rather then start a whole new one, especially since I find myself in a similar, yet slightly different situation.

Here's the deal: for a long time I've played Baseball Mogul. I had given an older OOTP version a shot once, but at the time, the depth of it was a hindrance to me, since I wasn't exactly well versed in baseball (I live in Canada, and baseball isn't near that big a deal here). I always enjoyed following the game, but I was never enough of a fan that I felt the need to explore the depths. Over the past four/five years I've been playing fantasy baseball as well, and now I've gotten much deeper into my understanding of it. So, I downloaded the OOTP 9 demo instead of getting the new BM. I really enjoyed it, until I hit the automatic halfway point, must purchase it now. That was about a month and a half ago.

I went to purchase it, and I realized that version 10 was apparently going to be released sometime in the coming couple months, so I thought about waiting for it, since I had other games/tv/school work to keep me busy. Now, May has come, and I've only got one summer course, and loads of extra free-time, with not so much money to buy other games. Now, I'm really itching to play, and I'm just wondering if the differences between the two in your guys opinions will be great enough that waiting the 2-3 extra weeks for it to come out with no Out Of The Park to play at all is worth it. Remember that I don't have the extra cash to buy both, or else this would be an easy fix.
The highlighted sentence is correct only in this sense: it's not that big of a deal in the media, which of course is 90% hockey and oh, there are other sports in the world? Really? I did not know that. This leads to a situation where if you're a baseball fan, you have to be all-in, committed, passionate etc. There is no halfway. I find I've also come to resent hockey, though it was my original favourite sport, at least until the Blue Jays arrived in 1977. Thank goodness for the interwebs, which helps bridge the canyon between hockey and every other sport.

As for the dilemma, why not grab the free full version of OOTP5, and pre-order OOTPX. That way you'll have a stopgap and the new iteration to be excited about. Win-win.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
TavesSoul
Minors (Double A)

I appreciate the fast reply. I have thought about downloading OOTP 5 as a stopgap, although I was wondering it there is a roster update of some sort for it (maybe I'll go sift through the forums for that). I bring up the roster update only because my knowledge of players stems mostly from the last 4-5 years, or the 1992 and 1993 Blue Jays, and playing with real players is a pretty big need for me (I don't know why, but playing with real players names is more enjoyable for me, as I can never really keep my attention with fake names in any game).

As for baseball not being a big deal in the media in Canada, I suppose your right. There are a fair number of baseball leagues, but in the few different towns where I have lived, soccer and floor hockey have always out-weighted it amongst the kids I grew up with. Still, there is definitely a place for it. You're right though, in Canada, hockey trumps everything. All other sports are below it. I like hockey, but I must say, for me, I've always enjoyed playing basketball and soccer much more, and recently I've enjoyed learning the tactics of baseball, which is much more cerebral then hockey. Can't say I despise hockey though .
Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
bkotler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Get OOTP 8

When my demo for version 9 ran out, I downloaded the demo for version 8. It has a longer trial period (though it plays for just one year of game time instead of a year and a half). But the interface is still pretty similar and you can get used to the nooks and crannies for a couple more weeks til X is out.
bkotler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I appreciate the fast reply. I have thought about downloading OOTP 5 as a stopgap, although I was wondering it there is a roster update of some sort for it (maybe I'll go sift through the forums for that). I bring up the roster update only because my knowledge of players stems mostly from the last 4-5 years, or the 1992 and 1993 Blue Jays, and playing with real players is a pretty big need for me (I don't know why, but playing with real players names is more enjoyable for me, as I can never really keep my attention with fake names in any game).

As for baseball not being a big deal in the media in Canada, I suppose your right. There are a fair number of baseball leagues, but in the few different towns where I have lived, soccer and floor hockey have always out-weighted it amongst the kids I grew up with. Still, there is definitely a place for it. You're right though, in Canada, hockey trumps everything. All other sports are below it. I like hockey, but I must say, for me, I've always enjoyed playing basketball and soccer much more, and recently I've enjoyed learning the tactics of baseball, which is much more cerebral then hockey. Can't say I despise hockey though .
For real rosters: download Lahman database (www.baseball1.com[?]) and send it to the OOTP5/Data folder. Unzip it in there. All the real-lifers should now be in there. When the game prompts you to, specify the path to the database (i.e. what folder it can find the players in) and voila.

To all the veteran OOTPers out there: how do I prevent the fictional players from entering OOTP5 in each draft? The real life guys are there, but they are far outnumbered by the fictionals, and I would prefer not to see any fictionals. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now, I'm really itching to play, and I'm just wondering if the differences between the two in your guys opinions will be great enough that waiting the 2-3 extra weeks for it to come out with no Out Of The Park to play at all is worth it. Remember that I don't have the extra cash to buy both, or else this would be an easy fix.

Buy OOTP X. You will have it in your hands soon enough.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
TavesSoul
Minors (Double A)

Just pre-ordered OOTP X, thanks to the helpfull suggestions here. I've downloaded OOTP 5 to tide me over, and now I'm downloading the database suggested as well. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. They are much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just pre-ordered OOTP X, thanks to the helpfull suggestions here. I've downloaded OOTP 5 to tide me over, and now I'm downloading the database suggested as well. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

You're welcome my fellow Canuck. Just remember there's a bit of a learning curve even with OOTP 5, but that's good because it'll prepare you for 10.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Yes.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
Arlie Latham
Major Leagues

I have bought OOTP 9. It's a brand new game for me and I don't have to wait. Next year, while you all are salivating over when OOTP 11 will be coming out, I'll purchase my brand new game of OOTP 10. Mwahahaha.

I do the same thing with Madden. My cousin, who must have the latest edition of the game the week it comes out, handed me his Madden 2007 as soon as he got his grubby grubs on 2008.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/Arlie_Latham/
Arlie Latham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
senorcoo
Minors (Double A)

Buy X. EOS (End of Story).
senorcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
To all the veteran OOTPers out there: how do I prevent the fictional players from entering OOTP5 in each draft? The real life guys are there, but they are far outnumbered by the fictionals, and I would prefer not to see any fictionals. Thanks in advance.
Just bumping this as my original question above may have gotten lost in the debate over whether to buy OOTP 9 or 10. Thanks as always for any responses.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I'm not familiar with Version 5, but if you're getting many fictionals every year, try dropping the number of rounds of draft down until you're only getting enough fictionals to finish the final round.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I'm not familiar with Version 5, but if you're getting many fictionals every year, try dropping the number of rounds of draft down until you're only getting enough fictionals to finish the final round.
Thanks Curtis, figured it out in the meantime. Although it may (depending on bugginess of OOTP 10) be irrelevant in a week or so. Still for those that want to know, the Lahman Database should be within its own folder in the game's Data file. I had it all lumped together with the fictional player files contained in the Data file, and therefore every draft pool had the real-life players mixed in with the fictionals. I found I couldn't use Lahman 5.6 or 5.5 as the game couldn't find the rookies for some reason, but Lahman 5.4 extends through the 2006 MLB season, which is cool because I think OOTP 5 came out in 2003.

Love the way free agency is done and I set trading to "Very Hard" with "Heavily Favour Prospects" right off the top due to various complaints about how easy it is to rip off the AI. Haven't turned on injuries yet and won't until I see all teams reasonably close to a 40-man roster (some teams started in the teens for total players on all rosters). It's pretty cool to tool around with and once 10 comes, I'm sure I'll love the interface (clunky in 5) and the HTML reports as well as all the other features that have come on board or been expanded upon since 2003 (?). Looking forward to OOTP 10, but I sure won't be joining the whining chorus. I'll just fool around with OOTP 5 until then.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Loeffle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie Latham View Post
For the past several weeks, I've been playing OOTP 8. I took a looongg break playing a certain world wide MMO and I've been getting my OOTP groove back into gear. I'm a long time OOTP player, having discovered the game through a retail product called Season Ticket Baseball.

Now I'm wondering if I should keep playing and enjoying OOTP 8 or upgrade to 9 or even 10.

Here are my concerns:

I've put a ton of work into this OOTP universe. I've got a historical Major League and a fictional league, along with two independent minor leagues.

The Database I use has players debuting when they hit the minors and some of the better negro league players as well.

I'm having a blast with OOTP 8, but I see some features in 9 that I'd like to have, particularly the ability to make players become coaches.

I'm leaning towards 9 because it's been through more patching than the brand new OOTP 10, which will have to be put through the paces by the OOTP community.

Can I import 8 into 9?

I'd welcome your thoughts, either through the forums or private message.

The price of either one is not an issue. For something that provides a year's worth of entertainment for 30 or 40 bucks? It's not even a question.
Import from 8 to 9 went fine for me and my huge dynasty. But honestly the awful AI of 9 ruins my fun. No idea what happen, but the AI continues to make really stupid moves during the games. And that can't be because I abolished DH during off season?

Really look forward to 10 there and hope AI improoves again...
Loeffle is offline   Reply With Quote