Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #41
KillsTheWeak
Bat Boy

This game does not work in Ubuntu Intrepid. What version of libc is this linked against?

Here is the output of gdb

#0 0x08aa41e7 in ?? ()
#1 0x08df063d in ?? ()
#2 0x080556fc in _init ()
#3 0x08df05d9 in ?? ()
#4 0xb7a1961c in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#5 0x08056901 in ?? ()
KillsTheWeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #42
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillsTheWeak View Post
This game does not work in Ubuntu Intrepid. What version of libc is this linked against?

Here is the output of gdb

#0 0x08aa41e7 in ?? ()
#1 0x08df063d in ?? ()
#2 0x080556fc in _init ()
#3 0x08df05d9 in ?? ()
#4 0xb7a1961c in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#5 0x08056901 in ?? ()
IIRC, it's compiled against glibc 2.8. FWIW, I can run it in Intrepid at home without issue. If you haven't run an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade in a while, you may want to do that and see if that clears up the dependency issues.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #43
KillsTheWeak
Bat Boy

I had updated before i installed ootp. It drops with this error 'Illegal instruction'.

Also you can avoid some support headaches if you just statically link everything like Nero Linux
Old 12-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #44
Irishray

Quote:
This game does not work in Ubuntu Intrepid.
I have been running this on a kubuntu 8.10 laptop flawlessly for a month. The only issue I have run into is the constant reentering of the serial key due to the slightest software update. A minor annoyance, but on nonetheless.

Ray
Irishray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #45
KillsTheWeak
Bat Boy

Guess i should reword it than, it doesn't work on Ubuntu Intrepid for me....
I have all the dependencies installed, and i'm completely up to date.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #46
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Guess i should reword it than, it doesn't work on Ubuntu Intrepid for me....
I have all the dependencies installed, and i'm completely up to date.
I have looked at static linking a few times and I am also discussing the matter with Andreas. My overwhelming feeling at present is that static linking is not a good idea. There are a number of good reasons on this issue, but the most compelling was the gcc man page itself. It warned that statically linking glibc was a bad idea, and I would say the gcc developers know their stuff. The best solution I can come up with is to install an older distro with an older glibc on as newer distros tend to be backwardly compatable.

As for your problem, is it a core dump or a floating point error you are seeing? Also what HW are you runing on? There must be something we are overlooking here.
pisdpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #47
KillsTheWeak
Bat Boy

I've thrown Nero Linux at quite a few machine with no issues at all. Also before Loki Games went bust, their games were statically linked too.

Alls it says at the prompt is Illegal instruction.

After some thought, you may be compiling your linux builds with things not supported on all hardware like MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, etc. It my case it may be SSE2 or SSE3, as my processor doesn't support it.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Video Card: Savage Pro DDR
Sound: VIA 8235
Memory: 512 megs
Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #48
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
I've thrown Nero Linux at quite a few machine with no issues at all. Also before Loki Games went bust, their games were statically linked too.
Yeah, I too have never had issues with running static linked elfs. I am not en expert in the internals of gcc/kernel and defer to the people who know. I notice SecondLife uses dynamic linking now, yet the first cleint I downloaded was statically linked. I would be curious to know why they changed

Quote:
Alls it says at the prompt is Illegal instruction.

After some thought, you may be compiling your linux builds with things not supported on all hardware like MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, etc. It my case it may be SSE2 or SSE3, as my processor doesn't support it.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Video Card: Savage Pro DDR
Sound: VIA 8235
Memory: 512 megs
This is making me think its related to your CPU, can you run "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and post the result pls. Also "uname -a" might be useful
Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #49
KillsTheWeak
Bat Boy

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1994.905
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 3989.81
clflush size : 32
power management: ts

Linux ubuntu 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #50
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1994.905
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 3989.81
clflush size : 32
power management: ts

Linux ubuntu 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
There is nothing there that seems out of place. I dont understand why the installer works but the game does not. They both have the same core code, built on the same system with the same gcc settings.

I have been using the default gcc arch for release builds. I am unable to find out what that is so I have built using -march=i686 which according to the docs is a generic pentium class CPU. Can you try it and let me know how you get on..

https://www.pisd.co.uk/peds/download...install.tar.gz
(use your peds login to access this file)
Old 12-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #51
KillsTheWeak
Bat Boy

Same error. Illegal Instruction.

This seems to be safe cflags for my machine.

-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

There are errors during install. But they look like shortcut errors trying to add to kde menu when i don't have kde :P Which btw, for gnome it adds the shortcut to the base menu, instead of in the games folder. Make my main menu stretch.

In file "~/.menu/local.Dependencies.desktop", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 1:
[...]package(local.Dependencies): command="konqueror "~/.ootp/data/dep.txt" &" icon="ascii" section="Out Of The Park Developments/OOTP9" title="Dependencies" needs="x11" startup_notify="true"
[...] ^
Expected: "="
Skipping file because of errors...
In file "~/.menu/local.Dependencies.desktop", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 1:
[...]package(local.Dependencies): command="konqueror "~/.ootp/data/dep.txt" &" icon="ascii" section="Out Of The Park Developments/OOTP9" title="Dependencies" needs="x11" startup_notify="true"
[...] ^
[...] ^
[...]package(local.Dependencies): command="konqueror "~/Out Of The Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 9/data/dep.txt" &" icon="ascii" section="Out Of The Park

Last edited by KillsTheWeak; 12-20-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #52
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Ok I have built with your suggested compiler flags above:
https://www.pisd.co.uk/peds/download...install.tar.gz

I can't help feeling this is not going to help much. If the installer elf runs fine (those errors you mention are normal. Linux has many menu systems and the installer tries to update a selection. You undoubtedly will not have them all installed on your system) without an illegal instruction error then its unlikely to be the wrong CPU instruction set causing the problem. I think we may have found a legitimate bug, either in the game or ones of the libs you have installed.

I don't suppose by any measure of good fortune you are near the south of England are you? (starting to think a hands on approach is needed) If not how do you feel about setting me up a ssh remote access login to you system? A chroot jail will be fine as long as you copy gdb/gcc and /usr/include /libs etc...

Last edited by Andreas Raht; 12-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #53
Vadi
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisdpaul View Post
This may be due to the name of the mysql shared object file installed. You need to find what is on your system. I am not that familiar with Ubuntu package management but there should be a way to list the files installed. For me I just do this:

You are looking for a file called libmysqlclient.so.15. I am guessing you will have a different number at the end. If it is >15 then you can simply create a symbolic link and everything will work fine. If its less then you may get away with a symbolic link but it could cause issues.
Sorry but I'm not experienced too much. Here's the output I get:

Quote:
vadi@ubuntu:~$ ls -al /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2008-11-09 16:35 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient_r.so.15 -> libmysqlclient_r.so.15.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2099112 2008-09-19 09:22 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient_r.so.15.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-11-09 16:35 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15 -> libmysqlclient.so.15.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2086600 2008-09-19 09:22 /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.15.0.0
vadi@ubuntu:~$
But the issue persists.

Is it possible to get a .deb or a PPA?

(also, this forum's "instant email notification" does not work.)
Vadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #54
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
Sorry but I'm not experienced too much. Here's the output I get:
Ok, the mysql lib you list here is in a lib64 folder. Are you running a 64bit system? If so that is quite likely your root problem. OOTP is a 32bit application. You can still run it on a 64bit system with all the right 32bit libs installled. Or so the beta testers assured me as I have never tried. I am guessing you have installed 64bit mysql on a 64 bit system, then you start ootp (32 bit) which quite rightly is not finding what you installed. Try installing the 32bit mysql package in synaptic which I hope it will fix this issue.

Quote:
(also, this forum's "instant email notification" does not work.)
Its working for me as I use it all the time. Although I did have a "one off" issue a month or so back, but its not repeated itself
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #55
Vadi
Bat Boy

That's not possible, but getlibs does the job.

Also, opening links does not work. The proper way is "xdg-open <url>" but it didn't seem to use that :\
Old 12-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #56
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
That's not possible, but getlibs does the job.
That good, does this mean you can now run the game ok?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #57
Vadi
Bat Boy

Yup thanks. My only remaining complaints are that my Applications menu got blown up by the entry (it should be Applications→Games, not Applications) and cursors are weird.

But its working great otherwise, thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #58
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Markus, PisdPaul, etc:

I ran into problem with the historical database which IrishRay has informed me is fixable by simply changing the file names to lower-case. This could easily, and should, be addressed in the installer to avoid this head-scratcher in the future.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #59
jimtonicky
Bat Boy

I have downloaded the demo for Linux and I am very impressed. I would like to purchase the full version, but the "Buy OOTP Baseball" button does nothing (Ubuntu 8.04). Does anyone have a direct link to the website?

Thanks.

Jim
jimtonicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #60
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
I have downloaded the demo for Linux and I am very impressed. I would like to purchase the full version, but the "Buy OOTP Baseball" button does nothing (Ubuntu 8.04). Does anyone have a direct link to the website?

Thanks.

Jim
Jim, sorry for the hassle! Here you go: P.I.S.D. Ltd - Webstore
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote