Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

auto scheduler

I would like some ideas on how some of you set up bouts especially at the beginning of your universe.. I am starting at 1900 but just don't want to have repeats.. Do you have a minimum or maximum rating between fighters.. or # of bouts between 2 fighters.. Thanks
taf1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

Question just a little help

Man I know there are some people who can help... I have been coming to this site for 5 yrs and have Title fight 1. I have never posted until now. I just purchased tb2 because of the new aditions of auto ageing and scheduling. I'm just wanting some ideas from some guys who have been running universes to give me a start. Especially with the new auto scheduler. How do you guys determine who fights and such.. Not meaning to vent steam just want help... Thanks taf
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I am still searching for the best way to use it but currently, this is how I use it:

I use the 'max bouts' feature to pair up beginners with guys that have a 'minimum ranking' of 101. That pits the novices against the stiffs.

I use 'max ranking' of 30 versus 'min ranking' of 31 and 'max ranking' of 100 to generate the random bouts for the contenders (they get better match-ups during international play and in a multitude of minor title fights as described in the thread on title fight frequency yesterday). You have to weed out the novices after generating these bouts because the game considers no ranking to be a 'max ranking' of 30.

I also occasionally set a group with minrank of 31 and maxrank of 100 against a group of minrank 101 (no max) to get them some easy wins.

All that assumes that you have an established universe in play.

To start, I loaded a data base with nothing but stiffs and left the autoscheduler to set up anyone against anyone till I had four years of pre-history in the books. Then I brought in fellows with a pulse and began the scheme mentioned above. Although at first I did it with the old TBCB1 which didn't have all the options so it took hours per division per month. Much speedier now!

I hope that ramble helps, play with it and ask more questions.

Have fun!

Christopher
Old 02-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

thanks chris

that will help some. I'm starting in 1900 and am just trying to figure a way to do it.. Maybe I'm just overthinking it: confused:
Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taf1971
that will help some. I'm starting in 1900 and am just trying to figure a way to do it.. Maybe I'm just overthinking it: confused:
Use the export feature to move a bunch of fighters over to a new database separate from everything else. Then beat around with it for a few nights. That's what I did (only I beat around with it for several months). Ask questions when you like, but there are a lot of features that are not intuitive until you stumble over them. Then you can start something the way that you want it to be.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

moving fighters

Are you moving them to new database or to a new group... I moved them over to a new group to start with.. I took any old heavyweight until about 1881 and then started random scheduler at year 1900. I'm still trying to read posts and understand ho to do auto ageing. Basically what all it is..There is a lot of cool features now it's just how to go about it. Like you said it takes a while to figure it out.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Claybor
All Star Starter

I like to move whatever I am working on (this weeks flavor) to a new blank universe so I dont have to sift through all those guys I am not using. My current DB is actually 2 DB's, one that I export the fighters from and the delete them, and the second where I play those I import.

I realy only use the auto scheduler for the early stages of a universe if I plan on padding the real boxers records against some tomato cans. I, and I believe many folks on here use a die rolling system in order to schedule bouts. The system I use is modified from Cubedrums system which can be found on cornerwork, with a few random event tables also found there created by Lee. There are ony a few things in the misc. downloads there, but they are all worth a read to see how others have done things. Some are very complex and time consuming, others much more basic.
Claybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #8
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
I also use a modified version of Cube's. I only use the autoscheduler for fights against TC's. All my beginners face TC's and the pre,post and end fighters all have a chance to fight them each time they are scheduled.

Other than that I schedule all the fights by hand. I use Cube's method of each fighter scheduled to fight in a certain month has a 50/50 chance of fighting the next highest rated fighter. The others fight the lowest rated. For an example ....

If I have these guys scheduled ..... 10, 10, 8, 7, 6, 6, 4, 4,3, 1, 1, 1

Let's say the 50% comes up on a 10, 7, 4, and a 1. Then 10 would fight the 7 and the 4 would fight the 1. Then I have a 10, 8, 6, 6, 4, 3, ,1 and 1 left so the rest of the matchups would be

10-1
8-1
6-3
6-4

Only thing I do is make sure the two scheduled have not fought each other in the last two years. Scheduling is the most time consuming thing in a universe and it's open to interpretation for everyone. Just play with it until you get something you are comfortable. I do highly recommend Cube's way and then vary it to your liking.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
Non Compos Mentis
Minors (Double A)

I have set up different groups in my universe to make it easier for me to schedule bouts between available fighters.

The groups are:
Level - Bronze
Level - Silver
Level - Gold
Level - Platinum
Inactive
Retired
Out - 1 week
Out - 2 weeks
Out - 25 weeks
Out - 26 weeks

There is a group for each number of weeks between the Out - 2 weeks and Out - 25 weeks.

Level - Bronze

All fighters start in this group.

Fight length: 4 rounds

Level - Silver

After 4 fights, boxers are moved to this group.

Fight length: 6 rounds

Level - Gold

After 10 total fights, boxers are moved to this group.

Fight length: 8 rounds

Level - Platinum

After 18 total fights, or if a fighter is ranked in the Top 20, boxers are moved to this group.

Fight length: 15 rounds for a Championship fight, 12 rounds for Top 10 fighters, 10 rounds for everyone else.

Scheduling Fights

I auto schedule all the bouts. I look at it as the boxer's management along with the promoter's setting up the fights. Sometimes some wacky matchups occur, but hey, that happens in real life too.

Boxers can only be matched up against fighters from the same group. Level - Bronze can only fight other Level - Bronze fighters.

I have a number of bouts equal to 10% (rounded down) of the total number of fighters for a group, so say Level - Gold has 284 fighters available (that is, not in an Out - X weeks group) there will be 28 bouts for Level - Gold that week.

After the auto scheduler has determined who will fight who, I go directly to the fighter's screen by opening up one of the fighters in the scheduled list. It's important to do this before starting the first scheduled bout. What I do next is filter so that only Out - 1 week group is showing, I select the appropriate fighters based on the total number of bouts they have fought (clicking on bts will auto sort them for you) and change their group to the appropriate Level. I continue to do this for Out - 2 weeks all the way through Out - 26 weeks, decrementing the week they are out by one.

After I have done this, I scan the scheduled fights to see if there are any Top 10 fighters or Champions who will fight. I alter the number of rounds for those fights as listed above.

After each fight, I change the fighter's group based on how many rounds they fought, how many times they got knocked down and any injuries. They are then put into the appropriate Out- XX week(s) group.

My method is more of a hands off approach, but it's the same way I play the Sims. I just let them do their own thing and enjoy the show.
Non Compos Mentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

different ideas

It's cool to see the different ideas everyone has. I was looking for cubedrums system but I cannot seem to find it. I see alot of people using his system. I started with about 23 heavies born up until 1881. I put them in a group and started auto scheduling them. I go into the schedule and take out any fights where the 2 fighters have already fought which has only happened 3 times in 1 1/2 of scheduling. I added fighters after the 1st year that were born a little later (1881-1882). Still adjusting on how to do this but learning and adapting to the new features.. Great game..
Old 02-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
mh2365
Banned

here is a link ...

it is a little outdated with the aging system and all but the scheduling ideas are top notch. I know I for one owe my whole uni to cube .... while I have incorporated several of my own ideas, it would have never gotten off the ground without Cube's ideas.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/cubedrum0/rules.html
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

Dice program

I see some of you use a dice program which I believe comes from the board game. I never did play the board game. Where can you download a dice program?? I have looked and cannot find one to download.. Thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #13
mh2365
Banned

highly recommend

http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm
Old 02-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
taf1971
Minors (Single A)

thanks