Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
njmcfreak
Bat Boy

Unhappy What should I do when one of my players goes into a slump?

Should I send him to the minors, just sit him a few games? Usually they are batting .300 and in the prime of his career. Now he's hovering around .220 and the season is almost over. I just never want to see that again.
njmcfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if he's your best option, you leave him alone. don't play him tired, etc... have a real reason to take him out of the lineup.

if he's not so amazing and someone is nearly as good? musical chairs doesn't change probability, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
JaBurns
All Star Starter

My method is to freak out while yelling profanities at my computer.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
It's a $40 super in depth dice rolling simulator.
If the ratings are still there then he will bounce back. The season was a series of 'bad' dice rolls where he did not get hits.
And BA is not everything, did he still hit for power and get on base?

If the ratings look to be in decline it may be time to start shopping him around while he still has some value.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
It's a $40 super in depth dice rolling simulator.
If the ratings are still there then he will bounce back. The season was a series of 'bad' dice rolls where he did not get hits.
And BA is not everything, did he still hit for power and get on base?

If the ratings look to be in decline it may be time to start shopping him around while he still has some value.
Players *do* slump and get into hot streaks in the game much more than die rolls would allow (although still not as much IIRC as real life). The study below is mathy but basically it looked at the 2005 season and found that there were roughly twice as many players who got into prolonged streaks and slumps as the math would suggest:

https://www.stat.berkeley.edu/users/...rt_streaky.pdf

That being said, one of the chief reasons I prefer playing stats-only is that I *like* not knowing if a hitting streak is a sign that the player is actually better and worth starting full-time or if a guy going through a slump is actually a sign that he's done. To that end, I also generally set my leagues up so that aging is set to 0.9 (mainly due to a study I read about NFL quarterbacks that demonstrated that roughly half of the "aging" you see out of them occurs in their final season as a starter - one way of interpreting that is that when an older player has an off season, they get replaced rather than seeing if they can bounce back) and development to 1.1 (to keep my leagues from being inhabited solely by older players), and then talent change randomness to 120.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Yup, been there, done that.
On a nearly daily basis.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Yup, been there, done that.
On a nearly daily basis.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Players *do* slump and get into hot streaks in the game much more than die rolls would allow (although still not as much IIRC as real life). The study below is mathy but basically it looked at the 2005 season and found that there were roughly twice as many players who got into prolonged streaks and slumps as the math would suggest:

https://www.stat.berkeley.edu/users/...rt_streaky.pdf

That being said, one of the chief reasons I prefer playing stats-only is that I *like* not knowing if a hitting streak is a sign that the player is actually better and worth starting full-time or if a guy going through a slump is actually a sign that he's done. To that end, I also generally set my leagues up so that aging is set to 0.9 (mainly due to a study I read about NFL quarterbacks that demonstrated that roughly half of the "aging" you see out of them occurs in their final season as a starter - one way of interpreting that is that when an older player has an off season, they get replaced rather than seeing if they can bounce back) and development to 1.1 (to keep my leagues from being inhabited solely by older players), and then talent change randomness to 120.

This. Stats-only is the way to go. Personally, I’d give him a day off, tired or not, and see if he can bounce back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Release them. (Just kidding. Real answer is the scream profanities solution)
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Just use that correct-tape stuff (or liquid paper, white-out, whatever the kids are calling it these days...) and cover the snowflake on your monitor. Problem solved! (Don't scroll...)
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
This by far works best for me.

But if its like a long slump and I get someone who is as good back in a trade I've done it before. Depends if you think its a real slump or the start of a decline.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
lencombs
All Star Reserve

Is the player unhappy, if so why and how is his relationship with your bench coach?

lencombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber_Tagged_Him View Post
Just use that correct-tape stuff (or liquid paper, white-out, whatever the kids are calling it these days...) and cover the snowflake on your monitor. Problem solved! (Don't scroll...)
you can scroll, you just have to add more liquid paper.

--- anecdotal:

with hof players, i think i've seen 2 have an end-to-end bad season. i even made a post about one last release. lesser talented players likely have more of those types of seasons, but it isn't due to 'streakiness effect' syd mentions as much as normal volatility (based on large sample experience with elite players, which eliminates the deep valleys normal players experience to some extent at a far more frequent rate). i've seen plenty of great players have a bad half-season, but the great ones rarely are horrible the whole season.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-22-2019 at 10:09 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

One thing to remember is that ratings are often slow to catch up to talent change randomness, so it's possible he actually just got worse and you will see his ratings drop soon.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusguy21 View Post
One thing to remember is that ratings are often slow to catch up to talent change randomness, so it's possible he actually just got worse and you will see his ratings drop soon.
This is a possibility and the older he is the more likely his slump is at least partly due to a decline that hasn't shown up in the ratings yet as opposed to pure "bad dice rolls". Easily could be a small ratings drop making a bad run of dice rolls look worse than it would have earlier in his career. The bigger a sample size you have to judge from, the better you can feel that it is expressing his actual talent.

Just because I like to "rp" in the game, I will give guys who are struggling more rest, maybe changing a sub from "every ten days" to "every four days" or something like that, especially if I have a guy on the bench who I'd like to get more playing time. I doubt it makes any kind of real affect but like others have stated above, it makes me feel better.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

Just restart the season and see how he does.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #17
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
This is a possibility and the older he is the more likely his slump is at least partly due to a decline that hasn't shown up in the ratings yet as opposed to pure "bad dice rolls". Easily could be a small ratings drop making a bad run of dice rolls look worse than it would have earlier in his career. The bigger a sample size you have to judge from, the better you can feel that it is expressing his actual talent.

Just because I like to "rp" in the game, I will give guys who are struggling more rest, maybe changing a sub from "every ten days" to "every four days" or something like that, especially if I have a guy on the bench who I'd like to get more playing time. I doubt it makes any kind of real affect but like others have stated above, it makes me feel better.
With stats only I do this as well but with a mind to seeing how the backup is performing too. If the starter continues to struggle but the backup rips off 20 hits in 40 at-bats then, well, maybe it's time to go in a new direction.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote