Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Will the CS (Caught Stealing) Issue be addressed in OOTP 20?

When you compare the Caught Stealing percentages in OOTP, base stealers get caught wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than in real life.

I lowered all Catching Throwing arms 20 points to try to help, but it only had a small effect league wide (but, it IS better). This is in all of my historical leagues.

Has this been addressed in OOTP 20?

Thx
Leefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if you're aware, but you can adjust SB attempts and success % in league setup on the "Stats & AI" Tab.

I generally find the defaults pretty good, but have made some adjustments depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.
Attached Images
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Not sure if you're aware, but you can adjust SB attempts and success % in league setup on the "Stats & AI" Tab.

I generally find the defaults pretty good, but have made some adjustments depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.
Thx for the reply. I might have tried that. Not sure.....However, I'd have to argue about the defaults being good, lol.

Be that as it is, what settings would I make the CS to increase the success rate? Less than 1.0 or more than 1.0?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leefoo View Post
Thx for the reply. I might have tried that. Not sure.....However, I'd have to argue about the defaults being good, lol.

Be that as it is, what settings would I make the CS to increase the success rate? Less than 1.0 or more than 1.0?
Sorry, I have no interest in arguing about default settings - everyone who plays this game has their own idea of what's a good setting. Just read the forums, there's plenty of arguments about correct settings. Jump in and help yourself.

I like the defaults in OOTP, ymmv

Higher % = higher success.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Sorry, I have no interest in arguing about default settings - everyone who plays this game has their own idea of what's a good setting. Just read the forums, there's plenty of arguments about correct settings. Jump in and help yourself.

I like the defaults in OOTP, ymmv

Higher % = higher success.
Sorry...wasn't trying to start an argument...that's why I popped in the 'lol'. I thought it was obvious that I didn't like the CS default.

So....If I read you correctly, if I make the default to, say, 1.25 for CS, my baserunners will have a higher success rate?

Thx.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry...wasn't trying to start an argument...that's why I popped in the 'lol'. I thought it was obvious that I didn't like the CS default.

So....If I read you correctly, if I make the default to, say, 1.25 for CS, my baserunners will have a higher success rate?

Thx.
Yes - the greater the %, the greater the success.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Yes - the greater the %, the greater the success.

Many thanks.

Btw, here is an example of my CS stats. I haven't touched the default which was set at 1.0. I will, however, start playing with it.

I have just set it to 1.25 and I'll see how that works out..
Attached Images
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

What do you have Attempts set to? These work hand in hand, so be careful when adjusting.

I like to have SB Attempts at a higher %, and success a bit lower. Right now I have Attempts at 1.182 and success at .961. So more trying/less success rather than less trying/more success.

Of course there are other things to consider, like if your league has a lot of catchers with strong arms, or a lot of pitchers with good pick off moves.

You should make a copy of your league and fast sim some seasons with different settings of % whichever way you decide. It doesn't take a big change to affect results in my experience.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
What do you have Attempts set to? These work hand in hand, so be careful when adjusting.

I like to have SB Attempts at a higher %, and success a bit lower. Right now I have Attempts at 1.182 and success at .961. So more trying/less success rather than less trying/more success.

Of course there are other things to consider, like if your league has a lot of catchers with strong arms, or a lot of pitchers with good pick off moves.

You should make a copy of your league and fast sim some seasons with different settings of % whichever way you decide. It doesn't take a big change to affect results in my experience.
Thx....i have attempts at 1.0. I would like more success, so I raised it from 1.0 to 1.25. The attempts seem to be just fine. As my original post stated, I have already tried lowering the C arms, but this is a much quicker fix (I hope).

I will do as you suggest and run a couple of sims.

Wish me luck! And again thx for the quick response.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Bluenoser...one last SB/CS question, if I may

In that image that I posted.....Those guys that are horrible at base stealing...... They are on AI teams. Is there any way to stop them individually from stealing? I don't want to limit the whole team.

Thx!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In that image that I posted.....Those guys that are horrible at base stealing...... They are on AI teams. Is there any way to stop them individually from stealing? I don't want to limit the whole team.

Thx!
Not really unless you control their team. The team and manager strategy would come into play then. The "attempts" and "success" are changes that affect the league as a whole, for individual players would have to be through team management and individual player strategies, which are controlled by management.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #12
Reed
All Star Starter

In my experience, if want to increase successful stolen base rates by 10% and the current rate is .961 as in the above example, I just increase the .961 by 10% to a setting of 1.05.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

You can edit the engine.cfg file to directly influence results.

# Game Engine configuration file
# Editing is simple: When you want an event to occur more often, raise the number of the event.
# Default is 100.
# Example: If you want the double-play frequency to be increased by 20%, enter 120 instead of 100 under GAME_DOUBLE_PLAY_FREQUENCY
# Copyright (c) 2009, OOTP Developments GmbH & Co. KG

GAME_GROUNDBALL_FLYBALL_FACTOR
GAME_DEFENSE_INFLUENCE
GAME_FIELDING_ERROR_FREQUENCY
GAME_THROWING_ERROR_FREQUENCY
GAME_DOUBLE_PLAY_FREQUENCY
GAME_TRIPLE_PLAY_FREQUENCY
GAME_LINE_DOUBLE_PLAY_FREQUENCY
GAME_TAGUP_FIRST_FREQUENCY
GAME_TAGUP_FIRST_SUCCESS
GAME_TAGUP_SECOND_FREQUENCY
GAME_TAGUP_SECOND_SUCCESS
GAME_TAGUP_THIRD_FREQUENCY
GAME_TAGUP_THIRD_SUCCESS
GAME_EXTRA_BASE_FROM_SECOND_FREQUENCY
GAME_EXTRA_BASE_FROM_SECOND_SUCCESS
GAME_EXTRA_BASE_FROM_THIRD_FREQUENCY
GAME_EXTRA_BASE_FROM_THIRD_SUCCESS
GAME_STEALING_SUCCESS
GAME_BUNTING_SUCCESS
GAME_BUNT_FOR_HIT_SUCCESS
GAME_HIT_RUN_SUCCESS
GAME_WILD_PITCH_FREQUENCY
GAME_PASSED_BALL_FREQUENCY
GAME_BALK_FREQUENCY
GAME_PICKOFF_FREQUENCY
GAME_PICKOFF_SUCCESS
HISTORICAL_SP_STAMINA_CALCULATION_IPGS_WEIGHT
HISTORICAL_SP_STAMINA_CALCULATION_CGP_WEIGHT

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
Leefoo
Major Leagues

What do you edit that engine.cfg with....Word?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What do you edit that engine.cfg with....Word?
Notepad works fine.