Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #1
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Odd Roster Balance

Been playing out all of my games lately and noticed a bit of an oddity - the opposing team had nothing but Lefties in its lineup. Took a closer look, and... this GM must really dislike right-handed batters.

Credit for slipping a single right-handed bat into the roster in the form of Miguel Andujar (and I was the one who traded him to them).

Balance be damned, I guess, they've got the most wins in the league.

Anyway, don't think I've ever seen this before.
Attached Images
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
joehart
All Star Starter

Odd Roster Balance

Comment removed

Last edited by joehart; 03-10-2019 at 06:43 AM.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

My first season I did it by accident with my pitchers. I constructed what I felt like was a solid staff, and opening day came and when I went to warm up a righty I realized I had none lol. I made a few trades/waiver-wire pickups that day I'll tell you. Even my rotation was all-lefties.

Last edited by Findest2001; 03-10-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Looks like you're keeping up at the least, Mr. Spangletots.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

See this all the time in inaugural drafts. Pretty frustrating that the AI can't see the disadvantage in this.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Looks like you're keeping up at the least, Mr. Spangletots.
Team started really hot! I'm apparently trying out the lunchpail, everyone's decent but no one's a star line of roster-building. It seems like a great formula for regular season success but middling playoff results.

The Spangletots family has a long line of successful (and failed) GM careers over the past few OOTPs. They're practically a dynasty of hot-and-cold GMs at this point.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

for some reason i often have a worse vsR record when i have a heavy lefty team... it must be beacuse of the opposing RP i face, because i have at least a small benefit on most starters? i trust in ratngs, and they show in splits, but for whatever reason i don't do well with it, lol.

i don't even think about it for batting... it's pretty hard to have 9 lefties. i don't think i've had more than ~6 lefties that mattered in a lineup.

i think it's also because i gravitate toward players with more even splits, if possible. it smooths things out, but when playing lefty/righty matchup you get reduced return in my situation.

so, i gain less from the beneficial matchup opportunities, and lose a bit less when facing the same handed pitcher. (or vice versa) compared to a normal L/R split with a larger skew.

if those players were the best you could get relative to opportunities, i'd roll with it and have no concerns. selecting inferiorly rated right bats doesn't neccessary mean better results vs L pitchers. pitching is a bit more iffy, but similar still. with elite talent, left/right doesn't matter in bullpen very much. as long as their splits aren't grotesque they can get the job done.

pitch selection affects split. a CB is better for both when compared to a slider, which is only 'great' for same-handed batters and causes a big split in stuff per handedness

there's probably a few factors that influence how much playing matchups help beyond just the superficial things. if your guys have not major split skew, they aren't good platoon options as someone with a huge split... either way they face slightly increased stuff from the same handed pitcher. since there are discrepancies in L /R, you want to favor vs R when weighing things.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-10-2019 at 10:56 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Just to be clear because I wasn’t sure if you thought this was my team or the AI’s, but the roster in the screenshot was an AI team who built a (nearly) all Lefthand team; my team is maybe a little leftie heavy but not crazy.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, i mean i don't think it's a big deal... even though i agree i don't think a RL GM would ever do such a thing.

as far as i am concerned, it's correlated to handedness but not a guarantee. so a hard and fast rule like that precludes very good choices that would work fine. there are pitchers and batters that do fine against the same hand... in those cases it's ot a big deal.

if the AI ignored that, then it's a retard (i can call an ai retard without a riot right?) and, i mean that lightly... not like i'll quit because 1/100 years this happens. if they have good splits, then i'd say the AI probably did the best it could and it's a matter of random coincidence it was lefties or righties at the time they were all signed, relative to other options.

my anecdotal stuff in previous was that all lefties or righties in and of itself doesn't mean a thing... the splits will paint the picture. obviosuly odds against a lefty being great against a left, but it does happen and they exist in the league everyear (ignoring small sample nonsense required).

Last edited by NoOne; 03-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

AI just took the advice to go for the best player available.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote