Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 AM   #1
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

Feeder League Complexity

Tried searching the forums, and will probably try this anyways but here's my idea and was curious if this will actually work ...

In a nutshell

Create a college league (manually) ... set appropriate settings (no financials, age restrictions etc) ... most importantly, a draft for this college league that is fed by a traditionally created (ie by the game engine) highschool feeder system.

This college league is then set to feed the Major League

ie can a league being used as a feeder also have it's own draft and feeder system?

I envision modelling something for a fictional baseball universe similar to the NHL's draft ....

a Major Junior league (college level) being fed by Midget teams (high school)
a College league being fed by Highschool teams

and both of these feeding the major leagues ... the Major Junior teams providing the 18 year olds and the college teams providing the 21-22 year olds

EDIT : This all based on the option "feed draft pool into another leauge" option under rules

Last edited by Mordrehl; 01-10-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Mordrehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

i havent a clue but thats a great idea and im interested in if/how well it works
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
USF
All Star Starter

I believe in the OOTP17 leagues section you will see such a league that uses this option.

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker2112 View Post
i havent a clue but thats a great idea and im interested in if/how well it works
I'll let you know how it goes. I want the complexity to better "immerse" myself into the universe so to speak.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 AM   #5
polydamas
All Star Reserve

That is actually a really cool idea. Please let me know if it works. I might try this myself.
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I thought a feeder league can't be a feeder league for another feeder league? HS feeder can't feed college

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
thorpegiovanni
All Star Reserve

This is a great idea, and such a basic one at that. The feeder system for me is just too complicated to try anything. Hoping OOTP18 gives better College + HS systems.
thorpegiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #8
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
I thought a feeder league can't be a feeder league for another feeder league? HS feeder can't feed college
You have to manually create the leagues rather than OOTP generate automatically

EG
Major League

Create a Fictional Leauge, set it to College level, set the settings ... and set it up to have it's own draft. On same screen you can set it to feed the Major League

To this college level league you can either add an automatically generated Highschool feeder or create another layer as above and so on

The problem I'm seeing is this :

Lets say Major League has 30 teams, with 25 round draft.

You need 125 teams to feed that draft. Ok so create one or multiple college level teams each with say a 10 round draft to keep their rosters full.

You then need an additional 210 or so teams to feed that College level system.

I'm sorting out how I want to set all this up now.

Major League and it's 5 minor league levels

2 developmenet college levels that feed that ML's draft ... one that develops players to the age of 22 and the other to 20. Then a whack of High School level teams/leagues to feed the development level. I'm just trying to decide how to implement the development levels ... 2 leagues or several leagues in an association sharing the High school levels
Old 01-12-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

This is a great idea. i wish i had thought of it.

i hope you let us know how it works out. Perhaps you could do a quick test setup to see if it would work and how well. Perhaps a 4 team major league, with a 4 team college league and a 8 team high school league...

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #10
polydamas
All Star Reserve

I decided to try this out. This is the structure.

American Baseball Association: Major League
NCAA: 4 year college (18-22) Feeds ABA
JNCAA: 2 year college (18-20) Feeds ABA
Alpha HS: High School (14-17) Feeds ABA
Beta HS: High School (14-17) Feeds JNCAA
Omega HS: High School (14-17) Feeds NCAA

Union of Amateur Baseball Players: Amateur League

I still have to get jerseys and logos for the NCAA and then I'm going to go through the junior college and the high school leagues and make sure there aren't any duplicate names.

Edit: I can't decide if it would be better to associate the high school leagues or not.

Last edited by polydamas; 01-13-2017 at 12:42 AM.
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Mordrehl
Minors (Triple A)

So I setup a league and simmed 20 years to test ...

My setup was a Major League being fed by 7 College Level leauges (2 with 20 age limit, 5 with 22)

The college level leagues themselves are in an association with a shared draft pool. This draft is being pulled from traditional OOTP highschool feeder leagues I added to one of the College level leagues during creation.

Mathematically, there's enough HS teams to supply these College teams and enough College teams to fill the ML for all of their seperate drafts.

But ... some years there were clearly not enough players in some of these draft pools. A casual inspection of each of the HS leagues age restrictions seems ok as does the College leagues. Haven't checked yet but I'm thinking that maybe because the College leagues have been setup AS true leagues rather than traditional leagues is if they're releasing players a year or two before draft day for ML and signing young free agents from the highschools ...

In theory this setup seems to work, but the more complex you make it the more fail points there are.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a little trial and error.. i'm intrigued by it... may have to work it out before '18 as a side project.

can the HS feeder feed both college and mlb? i.e. some of them go to the college and some to the mlb?

i'd like HS and college kids in my draft for the mlb teams. maybe a HS leageu as a college feed and also a seperate HS league for the mlb feed portion.

even if it's not realistic that all "these" high school kids go to college ... and all 'those' kids go to the mlb draft... but at least it's somewhat modelling it...

I might actually start looking at the stats that are produced in HS/college.... and if we get access to more scouting reports that's just pure gravy -- even if they are likely very inaccurate based on how terribly inaccurate scouting the amatuer draft is.

or can it only feed the college then in turn the college feeds the pros.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote