Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
19th Century World.xml File

I have nearly completed the first stage of creating a set of world.xml files to use for historical fictional play.

I have finished constructing the USA for 1850 and I would like some volunteers to proofread it. My source for all of the towns included a lot of place-names that were not towns or cities and did not do anything to distinguish between them, so I had to make my best guess on a lot of things and I am sure I made a few mistakes (probably, more like a bunch).

Also, the spelling was horrific in my source and I am sure there are a lot of mistakes that I failed to fix. A lot of these places I have never heard of, nor has the internet, and I could not look up every entry to verify it, anyway, as I'd be doing that until my 90th birthday. I did look up anything that looked suspicious to me, but I am certain I have missed a lot.

So, it would be nice if some volunteers could take a look at the state they are from and see if they spot my errors.

I wrote a post here explaining the new file, but when I got done, it was about 30,000 words, so I deleted it.....

This is the first file of a series for each decade. This one is for use in the 1870's and has data based on the 1850's (because that is when the rookies of the 1870's will be born.) If you would prefer to use a file that has populations set to be closer to what actually was in the 1870's so that the cities are correct, then you'll just have to wait until I finish the 1870 file.

Ethnic ID 0 and ID 39 have their own separate versions of the USA.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

This file is not quite ready for the big leagues, yet. The United States is done, other than eradicating the errors that you will find for me, and the file will load in OOTP and you can see how it works. But I still need to figure out what to do with Canada. It has taken me almost a year to get this far and I have no desire to put in the level of effort I have for the USA into Canada. But I need to do something, so their cities don't look like the dominant cities on the continent. I am not going to fix the rest of the world at all. For foreign players playing in the USA and for foreign leagues playing outside of the USA, they do not need to be changed. Only countries that will have cities in an American league need be edited. For me, that means only Canada.

Also, the file is too large to post here in the forums, so if you want to help me out and do some proofreading of a state you are familiar with, send me a PM with an email address and I will send you a copy.

Whoever reports the most errors will win a free copy of the finished product when it is released!

Last edited by Questdog; 08-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

If you're reproducing the mid 19th century, including at the very least European countries would make it realistic due to the amount of migration during that time. Ireland, Scotland, the UK, and depending on era, other states as well (for example 1850 would see more immigration from German states, while the 1890s would have more from Italy and Eastern Europe.). The good thing about Europe is that outside of country changes, cities have roughly stayed the same name wise

As for Canada, well first what's now Canada was a collection of colonies until 1867 (Canada West, Canada East, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and I believe Cape Breton.) There was a lot of change in the era of 1850-1900 (confederation, addition of three new provinces and a heap of territories). Also population totals and hell just census data period is a bloody pain in the ass for 19th century Canada, especially pre-confederation.

Basically a ****ton of work, and hey, it's fun!

Also PM sent, and having files for 1820 and 1840s would be handy too. Don't know how much of a change there would be,.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #3
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
If you're reproducing the mid 19th century, including at the very least European countries would make it realistic due to the amount of migration during that time. Ireland, Scotland, the UK, and depending on era, other states as well (for example 1850 would see more immigration from German states, while the 1890s would have more from Italy and Eastern Europe.). The good thing about Europe is that outside of country changes, cities have roughly stayed the same name wise

As for Canada, well first what's now Canada was a collection of colonies until 1867 (Canada West, Canada East, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and I believe Cape Breton.) There was a lot of change in the era of 1850-1900 (confederation, addition of three new provinces and a heap of territories). Also population totals and hell just census data period is a bloody pain in the ass for 19th century Canada, especially pre-confederation.

Basically a ****ton of work, and hey, it's fun!

Also PM sent, and having files for 1820 and 1840s would be handy too. Don't know how much of a change there would be,.
Europe is in the file, it is just not edited for 1850. Every country that actually has sent a ballplayer to MLB is in the file, but only the USA is edited to look like 1850.

Technically it is edited to look like 1890 with population data from 1850. Making a completely new list of towns from each decade would be too big a job for even me. So what I have done is made a list from 1890 and then used 1850 population data to estimate population. I already deleted the 30,000 word essay where I explained it all....

I will use this same list of towns for all the decades from 1850 to 1910. So, the exact date when towns were founded and/or disappeared is not going to be accurate. If a town existed in 1890, then it will exist in these world.xml files from 1850 until 1910, unless the estimated population is too small for it to be included. Once I get to 1920, I will make a completely new list of towns (but that is a loooong ways away, yet).
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote